The Student Room Group

New plastic fiver just came out - a step towards the cashless society

Cash gives the masses a certain amount of control. That is why the state is trying to get rid of it, in a series of insidious steps, of which this is the first.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beaver321
Cash gives the masses a certain amount of control. That is why the state is trying to get rid of it, in a series of insidious steps, of which this is the first.

That's logical. An attempt to make cash last longer is supposedly an attempt to get rid of it. Clever thinking.
Reply 3
Original post by Good bloke
That's logical. An attempt to make cash last longer is supposedly an attempt to get rid of it. Clever thinking.

Is that what they told you?
Reply 4
Nah, polymer notes just means it's easier to clean the cocaine off.

Apparently :ninja:
How does introducing a new fiver take another step towards getting rid of paper money?
Reply 6
Original post by AndrewSCO
How does introducing a new fiver take another step towards getting rid of paper money?

He can't possibly tell you. It's too much of a secret.
Reply 7
Original post by AndrewSCO

Gets people used to the idea of plastic.
Is that what they told you?

Come on then, don't keep us waiting. What is the punch line?

The new note is intended to last longer than the old one, cleaner to use, more helpful for the blind and be less easy to forge.
Reply 9

Yeah, this magical new substance that's only been in existence for a hundred years. Nobody's used to that yet, it's completely new and full of wonder.

Debit and credit cards have been around for years, I think we're already quite used to the 'idea of plastic'

Wouldn't you be more comfortable with tinfoil fivers?
Reply 12
Wouldn't you be more comfortable with tinfoil fivers?

You probably think they put a man on the moon.

I expect it's a damn sight more likely than your alternative theory, whatever it is.

You can't put people on something made of cheese, silly.
Reply 15
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Debit and credit cards have been around for years, I think we're already quite used to the 'idea of plastic'

They can't just withdraw cash in one stage. The 'people' would complain. It has to be done slowly, so that nobody realizes what is happening. First, all cash will be turned into plastic cash. Then some of the notes will be withdrawn. Then all the notes will be withdrawn.
Reply 16
I expect it's a damn sight more likely than your alternative theory, whatever it is.

It is impossible.
Aside from all the lunatic conspiracy stuff spouted by numpty here, I'm quite looking forward to paying for things with dead dinosaurs.
They can't just withdraw cash in one stage. The 'people' would complain. It has to be done slowly, so that nobody realizes what is happening. First, all cash will be turned into plastic cash. Then some of the notes will be withdrawn. Then all the notes will be withdrawn.

Well hopefully I'll be dead before that all happens
Reply 19
Original post by Drewski
Aside from all the lunatic conspiracy stuff spouted by numpty here, I'm quite looking forward to paying for things with dead dinosaurs.

You have a point there. If cash is withdrawn, people will start bartering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending