The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Choosing a university.

Would it be better to choose a university purely based on the fact that is ranked higher than another even if they are both Russel group university. Or in the long term when i get a degree will it really matter.
No, you should pick which one feels like you would enjoy yourself more at.

It may be ranked higher but I don't think any employer would go 'hmmm this person went to a uni ranked 18th, but this person went to one ranked 15th, they are obviously more suitable for the job'
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by jordanshelley97
No, you should pick which one feels like you would enjoy yourself more at.

It may be ranked higher but I don't think any employer would go 'hmmm this person went to a uni ranked 18th, but this person went to one ranked 15th, they are obviously more suitable for the job'

Yeah the uni I want to go to and live in is ranked 38th (uni of Liverpool) but i could also go to Cardiff which is ranked 18th but im not sure if I would want to go and liver there.
Original post by Max12121
Yeah the uni I want to go to and live in is ranked 38th (uni of Liverpool) but i could also go to Cardiff which is ranked 18th but im not sure if I would want to go and liver there.

What's it ranked for your subject though? If you're going no to go by rankings at all, it should be by the subject rankings.

Liverpool is a very good university.

Edit: complete university guide is the one to use btw
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Max12121

With that much of a difference it is tempting to think that Cardiff is 'better' and that you'll benefit from it more. But don't always trust rankings. For example if you look at The Complete University Guide they rank Cardiff 35th and Liverpool 38th which are very close together.

If you visited both and couldn't decide which was better then I would go for the higher ranked one, but realistically it is far more important to base your decision on where you would feel more comfortable living for the next few years of your life
Reply 5
Original post by A-LJLB
What's it ranked for your subject though? If you're going no to go by rankings at all, it should be by the subject rankings.

Liverpool is a very good university.

Edit: complete university guide is the one to use btw

Yeah I think they were the subject rankings for a business/business management degree.

Quick Reply

Latest