The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deltasierra27
Anyone else got an interview with Citi on Friday for markets?

congrats and good luck

how come Markets started interviews so early and before IBD? When did you apply/finish numerical test?
Do Morgan Stanley automatically reject you after the tests if you fail? Or do they wait a while?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexjones1994
wtf. Citi haven't even sent me my tests yet... Been 3 working days lol.

It took me about 4 or 5 days to get my tests so I wouldn't worry if I was u
Original post by torres657
congrats and good luck

how come Markets started interviews so early and before IBD? When did you apply/finish numerical test?

Thanks!

& Im not sure - I did my tests on the 9th but I know they pre screen anyway so that's probably why they got back so soon.
Does anyone know if you only get numerical if you passed the verbal at RBC? felt like I ****ed the verbal haha
Original post by CaptainKirk12
Hey guys,

How do the bulge-bracket banks like Citi, Deutsche Bank, Barclays and UBS stack up against the boutiques like Greenhill, Centerview, Evercore and Moelis in the UK? In terms of deal flows, reputation, pay and exit opps? Apparently in the US, the smartest kids go to these boutiques instead of the BBs (except for GS, MS) and they would make that decision without thinking twice! Would love everyone's and especially @Princepieman's opinion on this.

Thanks a lot!

I would say the boutiques are marginally better than those BBs in terms of rep.. There was a perception maybe a couple of years ago that, in London, the BBs had a stronger name than the EBs you mentioned and that buyside recruiters used to be unaware of the talent at those firms.

However, now that the EBs have been around in the UK for a sizeable period of time, there's enough data now to suggest that exit opps are picking up and that these firms are gaining traction to the same level of perception they have in the US here - especially at the more american buyside firms who have are a tad more privvy to the reputation of EBs.

Pay without a doubt is better at EBs. For colour, Centerview paid ~$180-200k all-in to first years in New York, Evercore was a tad below - so if we assume comp practices are consistent across NY and London, these two firms (amongst others) will be paying significantly above street. Add into the calculus the higher cash payouts at the associate and above level vis-a-vis the stock/deferred comp mix at BBs.

Deal flow is pretty good given the size of these firms in the UK (v. small, intakes of 10-20), their placement on m&a league tables is commendable. Some firms however do focus a bit more on MM deals (e.g. Evercore) than the bigger ticket deals.

Ultimately, I would say it boils down to personal preference and how you felt about the culture of the firms whilst interviewing/networking.. Any of these places would give you at least a decent shot at the buyside.

N.B. I've been told by some bankers that if you want a long term career in banking, starting off at an elite boutique is fine, but by the time you reach associate or VP level, it would make more sense to switch to a larger bank to have a greater chance at building a client base.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are RBC open for summers?

Ignore that actually
Original post by Princepieman

Pay without a doubt is better at EBs. For colour, Centerview paid ~$180-200k all-in to first years in New York, Evercore was a tad below - so if we assume comp practices are consistent across NY and London, these two firms (amongst others) will be paying significantly above street. Add into the calculus the higher cash payouts at the associate and above level vis-a-vis the stock/deferred comp mix at BBs.
Posted from TSR Mobile

£136k - £150k for first years - really? Where did you get that from? I can't see anything like those figures on Glassdoor at all. Analysts are around £50k.
£136k - £150k for first years - really? Where did you get that from? I can't see anything like those figures on Glassdoor at all. Analysts are around £50k.

Current analysts. If you're skeptical, check out WSO's comp database it's pretty accurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheParham
Does anyone know if you only get numerical if you passed the verbal at RBC? felt like I ****ed the verbal haha

you should receive numerical very soon, if not yeah then you are probably fked

Plus, converting it to pounds doesn't really work. Bonus is essentially 90-100%+ of whatever base they pay here in first year. In the later years it can be as high as 100-200%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else who did the Barclays initial SJT/Numerical test thing over the weekend heard back yet, I still haven't. I dont think I am a egoistical ******* who sucks at maths, but who knows.
Plus, converting it to pounds doesn't really work. Bonus is essentially 90-100%+ of whatever base they pay here in first year. In the later years it can be as high as 100-200%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nonetheless, even according to WSO's database the base is 85k which is fair enough. I was just doubting that base would be $150 - $200k
Nonetheless, even according to WSO's database the base is 85k which is fair enough. I was just doubting that base would be $150 - $200k

I have heard on WSO that they pay a large converting bonus $50k but I dont know if that is true or not
Original post by TheParham

Mate that verbal was awful. Cannot say's galore. I'm not sure, I was wondering that aswell. Anyway, I completed them both and got email 3/4 days later saying i was 'under consideration' for a telephone interview and I thought the verbal went **** so dw. Also the numerical is piss. Easiest one i've ever done.

Oh no, that was all-in lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by creamertnh
I have heard on WSO that they pay a large converting bonus $50k but I dont know if that is true or not

Tis true. Signing bonus

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh no, that was all-in lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough - might apply for the lols haha

Do you know much about Evercore's programme?
Fair enough - might apply for the lols haha

Do you know much about Evercore's programme?

Not much really. Might ask someone I know starting there, and get back to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not much really. Might ask someone I know starting there, and get back to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sweet! Send me a PM when you know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending