The Student Room Group

Are my A level subjects are good?

For gcse I got 4*s and 7As and this is what I picked for A levels, biology, goverment and politics, history and sociology - I don't know what I want to do in the future so I was wondering if you think these subjects are good at keeping doors opened in th future? Are they respected? Any feed back is appreciated :smile:
Biology - Very respected, facilitating subject.
Government and Politics - Very respected, essay based, relevant to current affairs, interesting, etc.
History - Essay based, will certainly help you in the future when it comes to your university course. (Unless you a quant degree)
Sociology - Not respected much, but it could act as a subject which lowers your workload, and you could pick up a high grade quite 'easily'.

You'll be fine, whatever you choose to do at Uni, unless you want to do maths (you could still btw) your subjects will suit whatever you go on to do at uni!

ps, dont stress about the 'jump' from GCSEs to AS, you'll be fine as long as you work hard, especially with those excellent GCSEs. I did better at AS levels than GCSEs as i found it to be a lot less stressful as you do much less subjects and now have free periods which you can use to do extra work/do homework etc.
Reply 2
You've got a lot of humanities there, but as long as you keep the Biology to A2 (provided you still don't know what you want to do!) that shouldn't be a problem.
All of your A-levels are widely accepted subjects so you shouldn't have much of a problem with doors being closed to you on account of them, unless you're applying for a subjects that requires specific A-levels. I did a similar combination to you, except I did English Lit instead of Sociology, and I had no problem getting into Archaeology with them (and Archaeology is another gateway subject - the CEO of Lloyds Bank has a degree in it!).
Apart from sociology they are all very good. But you only need 3 for an uni offer so don't worry about taking one "easier" subject
Reply 4
Original post by lw8
Biology - Very respected, facilitating subject.
Government and Politics - Very respected, essay based, relevant to current affairs, interesting, etc.
History - Essay based, will certainly help you in the future when it comes to your university course. (Unless you a quant degree)
Sociology - Not respected much, but it could act as a subject which lowers your workload, and you could pick up a high grade quite 'easily'.

You'll be fine, whatever you choose to do at Uni, unless you want to do maths (you could still btw) your subjects will suit whatever you go on to do at uni!

ps, dont stress about the 'jump' from GCSEs to AS, you'll be fine as long as you work hard, especially with those excellent GCSEs. I did better at AS levels than GCSEs as i found it to be a lot less stressful as you do much less subjects and now have free periods which you can use to do extra work/do homework etc.

Thank you so much for your help!!! :smile: I got into maths and I tried it but I just didn't like it and the teacher wasn't good sadly, so I would rather do something that may not be as respected but I might do better in. I see, well done, I worked pretty hard for my gcse's as in year 7 my targets were C's and D's haha, so I will work hard for A levels too :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by neriine
You've got a lot of humanities there, but as long as you keep the Biology to A2 (provided you still don't know what you want to do!) that shouldn't be a problem.
All of your A-levels are widely accepted subjects so you shouldn't have much of a problem with doors being closed to you on account of them, unless you're applying for a subjects that requires specific A-levels. I did a similar combination to you, except I did English Lit instead of Sociology, and I had no problem getting into Archaeology with them (and Archaeology is another gateway subject - the CEO of Lloyds Bank has a degree in it!).

I see thank you, our school is a bit weird we have blocks to pick subjects from and we have to PICK the as, so my as is sociology so I am keeping biology as a2 and I was going to do biology, english lit, history and sociology but there no english lit in that second block only in the biology one and I didnt want every subject to be humanities based :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by HopelessMedic
Apart from sociology they are all very good. But you only need 3 for an uni offer so don't worry about taking one "easier" subject

Yeah I'm only doing sociology as an AS and thank you

Quick Reply

Latest