The Student Room Group

Which subject should I drop?

Found out today that I have a conflict on my timetable. I have a Religion, Philosophy & Ethics lesson at the same time as I have Film Studies.

I love film a lot, I watch at least two a week, and I enjoy studying it in class analytically. It's something I'm passionate about and might want to get into in the future, however it is less respected I suppose, and RPE opens more doors... I think?

However, I got an A* in RPE for my GCSEs and my teacher encouraged me a lot to take it for A-level. It's very interesting and I think I have a 'natural talent' (if you believe in those sorts of things) and understanding. It's fun and useful and cool.

Of course I'm not going to decide my future because of what you'll say but it'll help me have more ideas and direct me to the 'right' place.
It's up to you. You seem to adore Film, so keep it. Drop RS.
Original post by Freaky.certified
It's up to you. You seem to adore Film, so keep it. Drop RS.

But... Philosophy and Ethics seems like it'll help me grow as a person. I know it's useful to think of subjects in terms of 'hey it's all about the grade' but I see it as self-improvement too, which is what education should be, which is why I'm taking Government and Politics as well.

Ugh. Maybe the teachers and people will sort something out. I really don't wanna drop either of them. Like picking a favorite kid. :frown:
Original post by Athena64
But... Philosophy and Ethics seems like it'll help me grow as a person. I know it's useful to think of subjects in terms of 'hey it's all about the grade' but I see it as self-improvement too, which is what education should be, which is why I'm taking Government and Politics as well.

Ugh. Maybe the teachers and people will sort something out. I really don't wanna drop either of them. Like picking a favorite kid. :frown:

What one do you feel like you're doing bad in?
Original post by Freaky.certified
What one do you feel like you're doing bad in?

It's really hard to tell since we've only started a week ago. Philosophy and Ethics has a lot of extra reading but the concepts are okay and makes sense to me - the reading is really dry though. Film Studies has a lot of specific and detailed writing and I might have problems not picking up on minutiae, but is very similar to Eng Lit, which I also got an A* in last year.
If it's only one lesson that clashes, why not alternate between both lessons during each cycle of the time table, and catch up on the subject missed.
Original post by burritosnake
If it's only one lesson that clashes, why not alternate between both lessons during each cycle of the time table, and catch up on the subject missed.

I'll have to ask about that, but the sixth form puts an emphasis on attendance. Apparently there is a correlation between attendance and grades... so I doubt they'd want me juggling the subjects. Idk, that's what I thought too.
I'll have to ask about that, but the sixth form puts an emphasis on attendance. Apparently there is a correlation between attendance and grades... so I doubt they'd want me juggling the subjects. Idk, that's what I thought too.

Yeah my sixth form said the same thing about grades and attendance, but I don't see why they wouldn't allow you to do that. It's only like one lesson a week, wouldn't make much of a difference. You just have to ask and see :smile:
Original post by burritosnake
Yeah my sixth form said the same thing about grades and attendance, but I don't see why they wouldn't allow you to do that. It's only like one lesson a week, wouldn't make much of a difference. You just have to ask and see :smile:

Thank you, I'll ask.

I feel so bad. I don't want to drop them, though my Sixth Form forces you to drop one at A2 level. Am I worse off if I get A* x3 instead of A* x4?
Thank you, I'll ask.

I feel so bad. I don't want to drop them, though my Sixth Form forces you to drop one at A2 level. Am I worse off if I get A* x3 instead of A* x4?

Not really, pretty much every university will base their offer on 3 A levels. The only case I've seen where you might need 4 A levels is if you do further maths as one of your 3 A2 options. The admissions tutor at Cambridge for NatSci said that a 4th A level option is strongly recommended to make a competitive application. Some courses such as medicine also consider further maths and maths to be one subject.

Quick Reply

Latest