The Student Room Group

Projectiles question

Hello I have been stuck on this question a while now and can't work out how to do it any help would be much appreciated thanks :smile:
Original post by Bobby21231
Hello I have been stuck on this question a while now and can't work out how to do it any help would be much appreciated thanks :smile:

Ah lovely projectiles. What have you tried??
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Ah lovely projectiles. What have you tried??

so far I have worked out the angle as 53.1 (this is correct I checked) and the horizontal distance as 6u. And for vertical distance I got 19.6 but this isn't right and another equation for vertical I have is 8u-19.6 but don't know what to do now.thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
so far I have worked out the angle as 53.1 (this is correct I checked) and the horizontal distance as 6u. And for vertical distance I got 19.6 but this isn't right and another equation for vertical I have is 8u-19.6 but don't know what to do now.thanks

19.6 is the vertical distance for the one from the top, so it is the distance from the top of the cliff, not the base. Use the 56 m.

8u - 19.6 is the other particle's distance from the bottom of the cliff, so it will help you find the value of u.
Reply 4
Original post by tiny hobbit
19.6 is the vertical distance for the one from the top, so it is the distance from the top of the cliff, not the base. Use the 56 m.

8u - 19.6 is the other particle's distance from the bottom of the cliff, so it will help you find the value of u.

Omg thank you so much for your help, can't believe I have been stuck on it for so long completely forgot about the 56 so forgot to subtract it. Thanks again :smile:
Fantastic :smile: so far I have worked out the angle as 53.1 (this is correct I checked) and the horizontal distance as 6u. And for vertical distance I got 19.6 but this isn't right and another equation for vertical I have is 8u-19.6 but don't know what to do now.

Get the position vector for A and B then make the vertical components the same. u should be 7 from my working.

EDIT: Welp, I'm too late.
Reply 6
Original post by RDKGames
Get the position vector for A and B then make the vertical components the same. u should be 7 from my working.

EDIT: Welp, I'm too late.

Quick Reply