The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dayoyolo
Hey I'm Dayoyolo and I'm from London. The subjects that I am currently taking are:
Maths (Edexcel)
English language (Aqa)
English literature (Aqa)
Chemistry (Aqa)
Biology (Aqa)
Physics(Aqa)
Music(Edexcel)
Pe (Edexcel)
Spanish(Aqa)
History(Wjec)

I want to study Chemistry, Biology,Physics and Maths at A Levels to do medicine and become a doctor in the future.
I started school on Friday and I am not ready for year 11. I am so worried about the new GCSEs for maths and English and I have a lot of coursework to complete more or less every single subject and I don't feel as though I have enough time.😁
Does anyone have advice for the music performances and compositions and how to get A*s' on them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry too much about year 11! You'll get loads of help from your teachers. I want to do biology maths and chemistry in a levels so I can study medicine too. Message me anytime if you need help in english or maths, as I am sure I can help you. Anyway, sorry I can't help you with music as I do not take it, but good luck! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by patriciaanne
Don't worry too much about year 11! You'll get loads of help from your teachers. I want to do biology maths and chemistry in a levels so I can study medicine too. Message me anytime if you need help in english or maths, as I am sure I can help you ( I'm top of my class, not to sound egotistical lmao). Anyway, sorry I can't help you with music as I do not take it, but good luck! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!
How do you revise for English, Maths and science? And what marks have you been getting for Maths?
Btw, I'm also looking for some medical work experience. I have my hospital work experience in a few weeks. But after that, I'm going to volunteer in a care home.
Original post by Dayoyolo
Hey I'm Dayoyolo and I'm from London. The subjects that I am currently taking are:
Maths (Edexcel)
English language (Aqa)
English literature (Aqa)
Chemistry (Aqa)
Biology (Aqa)
Physics(Aqa)
Music(Edexcel)
Pe (Edexcel)
Spanish(Aqa)
History(Wjec)

I want to study Chemistry, Biology,Physics and Maths at A Levels to do medicine and become a doctor in the future.
I started school on Friday and I am not ready for year 11. I am so worried about the new GCSEs for maths and English and I have a lot of coursework to complete more or less every single subject and I don't feel as though I have enough time.😁
Does anyone have advice for the music performances and compositions and how to get A*s' on them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Regarding music, the performances are really a matter of picking a piece grade five or above (to max out the difficulty marks) and practice, practice, practice. each mistake you make is a mark docked, so it's essential you get them perfect! (I got 29/30 for Burgmüller's L'Orage, because i hit a wrong note lol, but that could cost me an a* overall due to the ridiculous boundaries - so practice until it's 100% correct)

For compositions, I think it's best to use Sibelius (or something similar where you can write a score) and getting a melodic idea and a chord sequence down, before developing them and adding one or two contrasting sections. If you can't read music it's probably best to try to compose by ear at a piano, but by using Sibelius it means your composition is not stagnated by your ability to play it. Maybe I just find it easier because I'm a visual person more than a listening person but idk :smile:
Original post by bluepearl7
Hey!
How do you revise for English, Maths and science? And what marks have you been getting for Maths?
Btw, I'm also looking for some medical work experience. I have my hospital work experience in a few weeks. But after that, I'm going to volunteer in a care home.

For english literature I like to make character profile posters for each main character in the novel, including key quotes, character development and main themes linked to the character. I also like to watch youtube videos explaining different themes and such (e.g MrBruff on youtube). There are also some websites that are good for this: Sparknotes, cliffnotes, litcharts, shmoop. Occasionally I read the whole novel again, which is annotated with all my notes. For poetry, I pretty much do the same. As for english language, I can't help you there as we haven't started it yet (we're running behind on poetry). On my last mock, I got 99/100 on maths and I usually just do some past papers. I'm going to start making flashcards with maths techniques. For science, i make mindmaps after each unit and I do a lot of past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey,
I'm @sherlyyyn
I like playing the piano, painting, photography, athletics, cooking, coding and writing.
I'm taking 11 gcse's:

Spoiler

I think I'm ready for certain subjects, but for a few (English, Chemistry, Physics) i'm really stressed.
My favourite subjects are Maths and Science.
I'd like to take maths, further maths, chemistry and physics at A-Level and become a doctor. :smile:
I like to teach people because it helps me learn too. (Inbox me GCSE questions and i'm happy to help in the subjects i'm doing!)
Original post by snikerio
Regarding music, the performances are really a matter of picking a piece grade five or above (to max out the difficulty marks) and practice, practice, practice. each mistake you make is a mark docked, so it's essential you get them perfect! (I got 29/30 for Burgmüller's L'Orage, because i hit a wrong note lol, but that could cost me an a* overall due to the ridiculous boundaries - so practice until it's 100% correct)

For compositions, I think it's best to use Sibelius (or something similar where you can write a score) and getting a melodic idea and a chord sequence down, before developing them and adding one or two contrasting sections. If you can't read music it's probably best to try to compose by ear at a piano, but by using Sibelius it means your composition is not stagnated by your ability to play it. Maybe I just find it easier because I'm a visual person more than a listening person but idk :smile:

Thanks for the advice I was just really worried about not having enough time to complete the performances and compositions because we haven't started it yet. I doubt that one mistake will prevent you from getting an A* overall. I now have to find a song to sing and figure out what I'm going to do for my pieces.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school doesn't have a careers adviser/coordinator but I really need help from school finding work experience. Who should I ask?
- Hi everyone, don't know if I'm late here, but anyway, I'm CPS23 and I'm in Year 11 obviously hahah
- I love to sing, and play piano too. I also am a bit of a foodie and a reader
- I'm taking:
English Lit and Lang - AQA
Maths - Edexcel
Additional Science - AQA
French - AQA
Spanish - AQA
History - AQA
Philosophy (which is RS/RE) - AQA
Drama - WJEC

- Well, I'm four days into Year 11, and I'm already stressed but I'm determined. I just getting myself to revise now and starting to get ready for mocks in six weeks time (arghhh) The new GCSEs haven't really bothered me because I never really knew the difference before hand. The grading is the most annoying though, especially not knowing what an 5 is etc.

- My favourite subject is English as well as Biology and Philosophy.

- I originally wanted to become a lawyer but after a while, I lost a lot of interest for it and now I would kind of like to do something within Medicine, I wouldn't mind being a GP to be honest. A completely different career but I think it's going to be more realistic for me and worth it.

- My goal for now is to do well in my GCSEs and get lots of A*s as well as that, I want to take the IB and do HL Biology, Chemistry & Philosophy and SL Maths, Spanish ab initio & English. Then I'll like to go to Brighton and Sussex Medical School.

If anyone needs help with English then, I can help you!
Original post by kat.e
Ahh okay
Your a levels are fairly similar to mine! At the moment I think I want to take history, English lit, government and politics ( this depends if I get into the sixth I want), German and/or geography :smile:

That's exactly what I want to do at A Levels, and the same situation for me with Government and Politics :biggrin:
My school doesn't have a careers adviser/coordinator but I really need help from school finding work experience. Who should I ask?

Head of year? Forum tutor?
Hey! I'm Runaways, which is what you can call me, really. It sounds cool as well. I'm taking 8 GCSEs, I think.

Maths (Higher)
English Lit (Higher)
English Lang (Higher)
Chemistry (Unknown, was higher but may be foundation cause I got moved down, same for all Sciences)
Physics
RS
Geography
History

Maths is making stress. I'm a flop at my mocks this year, I mean in Year 9 I found Maths hard so they moved me into 2nd set in Year 10, and I wasn't moved again in Year 11 which was annoying, but anyway in my mocks, I did...better than most people, but it was seriously hard for even top set so it's not just me being a little dim. And I want to get an A, which is a 7L-H? I just don't think I can get that...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 591
How would you suggest revising? And taking breaks and stuff.
Should we read over what we done in class that day as well?
Reply 593
Original post by bjt1882
That's exactly what I want to do at A Levels, and the same situation for me with Government and Politics :biggrin:

Aw really! It's annoying that my school doesn't offer it because otherwise I'd stay there (all girls school) as the sixth form that offer it is an all boys that accept girls into the sixthform
Hello! I'm Rainbow_Lippy!
I love to code and journal, especially with calligraphy!
I am taking 9 GCSEs :

Spoiler

I'm reading for year 11, maybeeeeeeeee GCSEs but definitely not learning all that English stuff for the new GCSEs! :dance::dance::dance:

My favourite subject is computing but not the Controlled Assessment A543 that I did last year! Shoutout to anyone else who did it!

Dream career = website designer

And that's all of me!!!!! :biggrin:
Hi guys, im carobaka from Birmingham/Dudley :smile:
I dont have many hobbies apart from sleeping, watching movies and listening to music.
Im taking 10 GCSEs but ive already done 3
Heres what ive achieved:
French A*
Biology A
Health&social care A

The rest & my goals for these subjects:
English Lit 7
English lang 7
Maths 6
Chemistry A
Physics B/C
History A
Religious Studies A

Personally, i believe that im 100% not prepared for year 11 :'(. But ive been trying to read up on subjects that ive learnt each day to recap and also go through some revision guides which also helped me last year. Im motivated to just get my gcses over and done with.😂 282 days to go till my last exam which is so little :frown:. The years have gone by super fast.

My favourite subject has to be biology😊
Im thinking of taking it as an a level aswell as psychology and sociology.

In the future id like to become a midwife🙌 i need some work experience in a hospital setting or something but apparently i need to be 16 years old to do any maternity work experience which is annoying as i turn 16 aaall the way in july😑. Oh wells.

Good luck to everyone in year 11 😊
Original post by Carolbaka
Hi guys, im carobaka from Birmingham/Dudley :smile:
I dont have many hobbies apart from sleeping, watching movies and listening to music.
Im taking 10 GCSEs but ive already done 3
Heres what ive achieved:
French A*
Biology A
Health&social care A

The rest & my goals for these subjects:
English Lit 7
English lang 7
Maths 6
Chemistry A
Physics B/C
History A
Religious Studies A

Personally, i believe that im 100% not prepared for year 11 :'(. But ive been trying to read up on subjects that ive learnt each day to recap and also go through some revision guides which also helped me last year. Im motivated to just get my gcses over and done with.😂 282 days to go till my last exam which is so little :frown:. The years have gone by super fast.

My favourite subject has to be biology😊
Im thinking of taking it as an a level aswell as psychology and sociology.

In the future id like to become a midwife🙌 i need some work experience in a hospital setting or something but apparently i need to be 16 years old to do any maternity work experience which is annoying as i turn 16 aaall the way in july😑. Oh wells.

Good luck to everyone in year 11 😊

A midwife seems awesome, Biology is my favourite subject too! I'm looking for work experience in a hospital as well, though I'm only 15 (I get how you feel haha as I don't turn 16 until May). It wouldn't hurt to call and inquire about work experience though, as you'll never know, they might let you! Thats what I'm hoping anyway, good luck!!! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I just wanted some opinions quicky:

I just realised that I'm only taking 9 GCSE's...
I'm expected mostly A/A*, but I'm looking to go to Farnborough Sixth for A Levels, and I'm worried that my lack of GCSE's will let me down, as everyone on TSR has between 10 and 12 generally.

The reason why I'm only doing 9 is because nobody in my year is doing triple science, which as so annoying for me as science is one of my best subjects and I know that I could easily get 3 A's or more in it.

So will it ruin my chances or not...?
Why does it matter if no one else is taking triple sci? Also, no, it shouldn't be a problem. I think if its more than 8, it should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A midwife seems awesome, Biology is my favourite subject too! I'm looking for work experience in a hospital as well, though I'm only 15 (I get how you feel haha as I don't turn 16 until May). It wouldn't hurt to call and inquire about work experience though, as you'll never know, they might let you! Thats what I'm hoping anyway, good luck!!! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think i might try and get experience with an independent midwife or shadow my local doctor. I tried emailing lots of care homes but none of them have replied😞 thank you& good luck to you with your work experience😊

Latest