The Student Room Group

History A-level Essay Help!

Hey, so I've just started my a levels and was recently assigned with a History essay to do for homework. I really want to give a good impression to my teacher by writing a brilliant essay. Although, I'm not exactly sure what makes a good A level essay. Do you guys have any tips?
This is the question: To what extent was Italy a great power by 1914?
Reply 1
Remember it's your first essay of the Alevel year, your teacher is probably not looking for perfection; they want to see the improvement throughout the year. I'd just say to make sure that you've got your structure right and speak with confidence. Good luck
Original post by MeerabBieber
Hey, so I've just started my a levels and was recently assigned with a History essay to do for homework. I really want to give a good impression to my teacher by writing a brilliant essay. Although, I'm not exactly sure what makes a good A level essay. Do you guys have any tips?

Reply 2
Original post by LeeAnneK
Remember it's your first essay of the Alevel year, your teacher is probably not looking for perfection; they want to see the improvement throughout the year. I'd just say to make sure that you've got your structure right and speak with confidence. Good luck

Thank you!

For structure, are three paragraphs with a weighted conclusion and a small introduction fine?
Reply 3
Yeah that should be fine, as long as you're making sure that you relate every point you make with the question :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Define your terms, then use those as a basis to deliver your arguments and judgement.
Intro

Point
Evidence
Explain/analyse
Evaluate
Link to question!!!- evaluation will get you higher marks!!! Don't just regurgitate info, analyse

Conclusion
Reply 6
Original post by LeeAnneK
Yeah that should be fine, as long as you're making sure that you relate every point you make with the question :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ageshallnot
Define your terms, then use those as a basis to deliver your arguments and judgement.

Original post by lulucoco98
Intro

Point
Evidence
Explain/analyse
Evaluate
Link to question!!!- evaluation will get you higher marks!!! Don't just regurgitate info, analyse

Conclusion

Thank you so much guys!!!!
All of your tips do sound similar to the type of essays we were told to write in GCSE. Is there actualy any difference between GCSE and A-Level essays?
Reply 7
Thank you so much guys!!!!
All of your tips do sound similar to the type of essays we were told to write in GCSE. Is there actualy any difference between GCSE and A-Level essays?

A huge difference for me in A-Level History was the fact that you were marked down for putting in some description, at GCSE you weren't marked down for that.

Another point is that you HAVE to keep relating back to the question, going off topic even the slightest loses you marks straight away.

You have to try and give just the information relevant to the time period, for each piece of information you give you MUST back it up. Why was it so important, what did it lead to, how does that link back to your question

Don't worry about it too much yet though, you've only just started. By the end of the year, writing essays should be a cinch :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest