The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

i dislike middle class people

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Middle class people aren't like this in my experience at all. I've met a few that perhaps think they are a cut above, but I find that to be the exception, not the rule. E.g at my dog training classes, there is a lady there who literally said to me "what do you mean, you take your own dogs for a walk? Why not just hire a dog walker? Much easier dear." she said a similar thing about me grooming my own dogs with quite a nasty attitude attached. As if it were inferior that i walk and groom my own dogs... Who would have thought... but the other very middle class ladies (two), are lovely!
Original post by G.name
Seek to improve?! Jesus, you sound brainwashed. In what sense should we strive to improve? Economic? May I remind you that our class is necessarily large. Without it, there would be no Middle Class. It's patronising to say that that majority should try to change their status, when some of them of course can't. Because when they compete to get skilled jobs, they indubitably come up against middle class children who've had a better education handed to them.

Excuse me, but of course people are going to give their children the best damn life they possibly can, educationally and otherwise?
I'm middle class and I agree with you.

I am thankful I went to a large secondary school that had a wide variety of classes so I knew people from all backgrounds. My sixth form however was just all middle class and I thought they were living in a bubble.
Reply 23
Original post by A-LJLB
Excuse me, but of course people are going to give their children the best damn life they possibly can, educationally and otherwise?

It wasn't an attack on sending children to better schools. Please read it again. :smile:
Original post by BIGJohnson777
They're*.
And **** you too. :smile:

1) What?
2) Perhaps.
3) Why not?
4) Living in social housing is pretty low.
5) We don't.

Erm....wow.
That's the biggest generalisation, ever. I've seen working class people look down upon people that live in social housing. Also, so what if they buy houses near well performing schools? Wouldn't you want your children to have a good education?

Original post by Drewski
They're too busy eating quinoa to care about what you think.

Eating quinoa is a middle class thing now? :curious:
Reply 26
Original post by Goaded
Middle class people aren't like this in my experience at all. I've met a few that perhaps think they are a cut above, but I find that to be the exception, not the rule. E.g at my dog training classes, there is a lady there who literally said to me "what do you mean, you take your own dogs for a walk? Why not just hire a dog walker? Much easier dear." she said a similar thing about me grooming my own dogs with quite a nasty attitude attached. As if it were inferior that i walk and groom my own dogs... Who would have thought... but the other very middle class ladies (two), are lovely!

Every one can agree, dislike must be reserved for a few people in the Middle Class. As you said, not the rule.
Original post by the bear
we have moved on to millet dear

:borat: *

Millet goes nicely with Moët.
I can't lie, I've seen people that match OP's description (apart from the 1st point) but I wouldn't generalise and say that they are all like that.
Original post by G.name
It wasn't an attack on sending children to better schools. Please read it again. :smile:

You kept repeating about children having their education handed to them?
Original post by drowzee

Only in as much as everything else the OP said was.
Reply 31
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Erm....wow.

Precisely, we discovered a deplorable, unconscious conclusion in I'm sure, an otherwise quite lovely guy/gal.
If you cant best them then join them. I plan on doing medicine/dentistry in future as a graduate. Then I can get just as much whatever. Or just stop caring :biggrin:
Reply 33
Original post by A-LJLB
You kept repeating about children having their education handed to them?

Well they have had it handed to them. I don't take that back. The children have done nothing to get that quality of schooling. That's a fact. If you're offended, don't direct your aggression at me; send it towards the state of our society, that there should exist opportunities to get differential education.
Original post by drowzee
That's the biggest generalisation, ever. I've seen working class people look down upon people that live in social housing. Also, so what if they buy houses near well performing schools? Wouldn't you want your children to have a good education?

I agree, this isn't really an issue and doesn't add OP's point, but actually I have heard (not lower middle class but upper and upper middle class) talk about schools not taking "breeding" into consideration, and that would be enough for me to dislike a person :K:.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by G.name
Well they have had it handed to them. I don't take that back. The children have done nothing to get that quality of schooling. That's a fact. If you're offended, don't direct your aggression at me; send it towards the state of our society, that there should exist opportunities to get differential education.

Hang on, I was not being aggressive...
I was simply surprised at your comment. I would have thought even you would want what's best for any future children you may have, no?
Original post by G.name
Seek to improve?! Jesus, you sound brainwashed. In what sense should we strive to improve? Economic? May I remind you that our class is necessarily large. Without it, there would be no Middle Class. It's patronising to say that that majority should try to change their status, when some of them of course can't. Because when they compete to get skilled jobs, they indubitably come up against middle class children who've had a better education handed to them.

Everybody has a good chance at receiving a decent level of education in this country. I went to a mediocre comprehensive and still ended up with A*s, and so did people from working class backgrounds I studied with, who did put some effort into their study to end up at top universities. And I am sure they won't have any difficulties in finding skilled jobs on graduation.
Reply 37
Original post by A-LJLB
Hang on, I was not being aggressive...
I was simply surprised at your comment. I would have thought even you would want what's best for any future children you may have, no?

Why are we still on this? I said I agree.
Very presumptuous, and we don't like you either, OP. :wink:
One choked on his skinny Latte upon reading this. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending