The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
yeah, but warwick has a 60% acceptance rate for econ, while LSE's is 17% and oxford E&M is even more competitive - a mere 8%. i wonder what their criteria is, and if they know how many amazing students they're missing out on..

Ik, but what I mean is that people who you'd otherwise think are shoe-ins fall into that 40%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Princepieman
Tbf, my friend got into E&M at Oxford and went on to get 4A*s but was rejected by Warwick for Econ. So it is competitive, just a bit random is all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well Oxford has more basis for giving you offers, they'll not say anything before you do TSA and if you ace that you'll almost certainly get an interview. I know someone who was amazing at TSA, got an interview but got ABBC at AS - he thinks that is why he didn't get an offer as opposed to his interview performance.

Original post by naomi288
I was in this position last year and didn't want to go to a non-russell group uni. In the end, I had chosen to retake the year at sixth form to improve my grades. It eventually worked out for me having improved my grades a lot securing a place at the University of Leeds to study Economics. This may not be the best uni in terms of russell group options for Economics but I was happy with my decision to resit otherwise I would have went to a university that I had not wanted to go to with lower A-Level results. Although it took me 3 years to complete my A-Levels, I now believe I stand a better chance of obtaining a better job than with the A-Level results I had achieved last year especially hearing about some companies demanding certain UCAS points regardless of your degree qualifications.

I would definitely recommend that you should re-evaluate your decisions about attending university this year. From your predicted grades, I believe you can achieve better results through resitting but that requires you to believe in yourself. If you do decide to go ahead with university this year, I wish you good luck and all the best!

I'll be honest after getting results and having the initial feelings this was the kind of thing I thought - I still worry how universities will feel about me doing this. Obviously I'd chose 5 'lower' options (still try to keep to Russell Group + Bath too) - hilarious to think this point last year I was trying an Oxford application :O

How did you study for retakes and where did you do them? PM me if preferred :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 3tr3
I'll be honest after getting results and having the initial feelings this was the kind of thing I thought - I still worry how universities will feel about me doing this. Obviously I'd chose 5 'lower' options (still try to keep to Russell Group + Bath too) - hilarious to think this point last year I was trying an Oxford application :O

Most unis are actually quite accepting of retakes, I know because I phoned up probably all of the RG unis last year and pretty much all of them said it wasn't much of an issue. Ofc, hinsight being 20/20, I realise my set up of travelling 3 hrs to my exam centre and back every week to sit exams wasn't the wisest move... Add insult to injury, the exam board lost my papers lol. Anyway for me retaking is useless because this was my 'retake' year - self studying a levels essentially vs Scottish Advanced Highers and I'm pretty much sick of secondary school exams now and want to move on.

But for you, this would be your first time taking a year out and imo, you don't have a whole lot to lose if you do. So, sure, stick with City if you want but I would at least give the whole retaking thing a think - consider logistics and costs thoroughly. If it ends up being unfeasible, then fair, City is still a pretty decent university with an attractive location and alumni in very significant places*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 43
Most unis are actually quite accepting of retakes, I know because I phoned up probably all of the RG unis last year and pretty much all of them said it wasn't much of an issue. Ofc, hinsight being 20/20, I realise my set up of travelling 3 hrs to my exam centre and back every week to sit exams wasn't the wisest move... Add insult to injury, the exam board lost my papers lol. Anyway for me retaking is useless because this was my 'retake' year - self studying a levels essentially vs Scottish Advanced Highers and I'm pretty much sick of secondary school exams now and want to move on.

But for you, this would be your first time taking a year out and imo, you don't have a whole lot to lose if you do. So, sure, stick with City if you want but I would at least give the whole retaking thing a think - consider logistics and costs thoroughly. If it ends up being unfeasible, then fair, City is still a pretty decent university with an attractive location and alumni in very significant places*

So did you miss your offers the second time around? Retaken once then?
Original post by 3tr3
So did you miss your offers the second time around? Retaken once then?

Yh, got into Reading last year and missed Notts. Then missed Warwick's A*AA offer, and Bristol's AAA this yr. First time was a coursework issue (I actually did alright in the exams but my teachers didn't submit coursework on time) and this time was messing up + exam board losing papers (literally, 6/16 papers weren't even marked on my results sheet).

So.. safe to say I couldn't care less anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Yh, got into Reading last year and missed Notts. Then missed Warwick's A*AA offer, and Bristol's AAA this yr. First time was a coursework issue (I actually did alright in the exams but my teachers didn't submit coursework on time) and this time was messing up + exam board losing papers (literally, 6/16 papers weren't even marked on my results sheet).

So.. safe to say I couldn't care less anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's ridiculous, how the heck can that even happen?!

I hope it works out, I guess your options have been really limited given all that...
Original post by 3tr3
That's ridiculous, how the heck can that even happen?!

I hope it works out, I guess your options have been really limited given all that...

No idea, and I'm not even going to pursue it further.

Eh, life goes on tbh, thankfully my highers meet the ucas point requirements of many grad schemes so shouldn't hold me back too much. My CV for my age is also pretty decent, and I have a wide network. So hopefully, touch wood, I can navigate through this mess.

Good luck with whichever choice you make - do let me know how things go in PM too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eh, life goes on tbh, thankfully my highers meet the ucas point requirements of many grad schemes so shouldn't hold me back too much. My CV for my age is also pretty decent, and I have a wide network. So hopefully, touch wood, I can navigate through this mess.

Good luck with whichever choice you make - do let me know how things go in PM too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you go to school during your retake or did you just go for exams? What did you do during your gap year?
Original post by ronaldo222
Did you go to school during your retake or did you just go for exams? What did you do during your gap year?

Self studied at home, all the state schools here teach the scottish curriculum and my exam centre is 1 of 2 across all of scotland that took on private candidates for a level exams.. So was the only option short of being rich and affording the £25k+ to go to private school for a year.

Not much really: continued to run my after school tutoring organisation, networked with some more professionals, studied, visited friends at different unis, applied and got into a few investment banking insight days, became a Mod on here and did some small scale consulting (web dev, careers advice/CVs etc) projects.

I guess I 'travelled' as my exam centre was in Edinburgh, whilst I live in Aberdeen. So did some sight seeing after revising.

Summer spent it doing insight days and visiting Spain

Posted from TSR Mobile
Self studied at home, all the state schools here teach the scottish curriculum and my exam centre is 1 of 2 across all of scotland that took on private candidates for a level exams.. So was the only option short of being rich and affording the £25k+ to go to private school for a year.

Not much really: continued to run my after school tutoring organisation, networked with some more professionals, studied, visited friends at different unis, applied and got into a few investment banking insight days, became a Mod on here and did some small scale consulting (web dev, careers advice/CVs etc) projects.

I guess I 'travelled' as my exam centre was in Edinburgh, whilst I live in Aberdeen. So did some sight seeing after revising.

Summer spent it doing insight days and visiting Spain

Posted from TSR Mobile

You said your CV was good for someone your age, was it from your gap year or before that?
What did you do on your CV ?
Just wanted to use my gap year and do as much as possible
Thanks
Original post by ronaldo222
You said your CV was good for someone your age, was it from your gap year or before that?
What did you do on your CV ?
Just wanted to use my gap year and do as much as possible
Thanks

Just an amalgam of things I've done.

I'll PM you.

Go for it! You could start a small business, you could volunteer, you could arrange fundraisers, you could get a part time job etc etc etc. Loads of opportunities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure most of the grad schemes only accept fist sitting in two years anyway, never mind three (unless family issues ect . I always thought by 'top 3 grades' the schemes just meant they accept the points from these grades but I contacted them and most say they mean top grades as in first sitting in two years, rather than just saying they only accept three of your highest grades
Are you into a uni you're happy with now?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sam947
I am also in a bit of a dilemma but my results were way worse I was predicted AAA but got BCD. So I've asked for photocopies of my scripts and might resit. It's wierd though cos I honestly thought I aced the exams and was absolutely gutted when I saw my results :frown:

Hey, don't feel too bad.
I was in the EXACT situation as you last year: I got BCD after being predicted A/B's. I also thought I aced the exams. A lot of teachers just told me to go through clearing but I wasn't having it; I knew I wanted to get in to a Russell group or I wouldn't be satisfied. In the end I resat my exams and got ABBa. I'm now off to Queen Mary university.
If like me, you have your sights set on something do what feels right. I too was gutted with my results, so do better and try again! It's a lot easier as you are not starting from scratch; I pretty much taught myself (I went to a really bad college with crappy teachers), and you can figure out what your weak points are.
I'm telling you my story to hopefully inspire you, a year ago I was in your position and it felt like the end of the world, but it's not 😌
Either way I hope you make the decision that makes YOU happy, whether you resit or not. Good luck to you! 😊
Original post by alexp98
Pretty sure most of the grad schemes only accept fist sitting in two years anyway, never mind three (unless family issues ect . I always thought by 'top 3 grades' the schemes just meant they accept the points from these grades but I contacted them and most say they mean top grades as in first sitting in two years, rather than just saying they only accept three of your highest grades
Are you into a uni you're happy with now?

Not all, it's generally not a hard and fast rule where you get wiped out for 'first sitting'. Depends on a few things, and whether the employer is strict or not.

Lol, I can't complain really. Swansea is ranked 19th for CompSci this year so could have done a lot worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not all, it's generally not a hard and fast rule where you get wiped out for 'first sitting'. Depends on a few things, and whether the employer is strict or not.

Lol, I can't complain really. Swansea is ranked 19th for CompSci this year so could have done a lot worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah seems like a great uni ! my physics teacher actually did a Compter science dual degree (used to be a software engineer) and said as long as you don't go to an awful one with a bad rep it's fine anyway as so much emphasis is placed in the degree grade and experience most of all for the field.

I was unsure if I should go to Leicester ,reading or stay at De Montfort and turned out he had some links in industry and said DMU was respected and fine anyway :smile:
best of luck for the future mate!
(edited 7 years ago)
If you've got an offer for the course you want to study at uni then why resit? I'd accept the offer if I were you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take a gap year and resit. You may not get that kind of an opportunity in the future and you could do so many things with that year.

1. Become bilingual
2. Travel
3. Improve upon your A-level grades
4. Work and save up money

Working is a good idea if you can find paid work because money can be a barrier to your success in the future whilst studying. Then do a bit of revision and stop working 2-3 months prior to the exam resit date. Then go and do what you want to do where you want to study.
Reply 57
Hi, I got BCD I need Between AAB-BBB to get into pharmacy in my first choice uni, I decided to re-sit some exams and Isas, I didn't want to risk going to a sh**ty university so I spoke to the university and they told me to re-apply for 2017 and I will be considered.
It's the last year for OCR retakes.
Do you think I done the right choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Miminfl
Hi, I got BCD I need Between AAB-BBB to get into pharmacy in my first choice uni, I decided to re-sit some exams and Isas, I didn't want to risk going to a sh**ty university so I spoke to the university and they told me to re-apply for 2017 and I will be considered.
It's the last year for OCR retakes.
Do you think I done the right choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

100%. university is too expensive to settle for a *****y one.
Reply 59
Original post by tanyapotter
100%. university is too expensive to settle for a *****y one.

Exactly! I'm glad I made that choice!

I heard it makes a difference graduating from a good uni than graduating from a sh**ty one in everything e.g. Job interviews and jobs.

Latest

Trending

Trending