The Student Room Group

ukcat

To all of those who have done the ukcat exam in 2016, how did you find quantitative reasoning in the actual test compared to the practice tests on the ukcat site? and the questions in the 1000 ukcat question book? My test is on Friday and i'm still finding the qr questions quite hard to do under the time limit....
They're much easier in the real thing. :smile: I was super worried too but ended up getting 850 in it. Try to be confident, you'll do great!
Reply 2
Original post by StationToStation
They're much easier in the real thing. :smile: I was super worried too but ended up getting 850 in it. Try to be confident, you'll do great!

Really, is it a lot easier from the practice questions? Because I'm finding them really time consuming and hard and am going into panic mode!!! How did u revise for it? Well done on your amazing score btw. What score would u usually get when u did practice questions?
The 1000q book is terrible, I'd really advise against using it. For QR flag the hard qs and guess then come back to them and do as many as you can
Original post by Pinkdragon
Really, is it a lot easier from the practice questions? Because I'm finding them really time consuming and hard and am going into panic mode!!! How did u revise for it? Well done on your amazing score btw. What score would u usually get when u did practice questions?

Yeah, imo definitely :smile: They do throw a couple of hard questions in there, but I guessed my way through them to make sure I had enough time for the easy ones, and that worked out pretty well for me. If I remember correctly, most of the questions involved just looking up a couple of numbers from a really easy-to-read table, and then doing some very basic math (substract one number and then divide with another number, or things like that). I used the 1000Q book (it was good but hard), the medic portal question bank (it was ok), and the official UKCAT questions/mocks (they were also good but fairly hard). I would always get something like 500-700 during practice, and I'd almost always run out of time.
Reply 5
Original post by StationToStation
Yeah, imo definitely :smile: They do throw a couple of hard questions in there, but I guessed my way through them to make sure I had enough time for the easy ones, and that worked out pretty well for me. If I remember correctly, most of the questions involved just looking up a couple of numbers from a really easy-to-read table, and then doing some very basic math (substract one number and then divide with another number, or things like that). I used the 1000Q book (it was good but hard), the medic portal question bank (it was ok), and the official UKCAT questions/mocks (they were also good but fairly hard). I would always get something like 500-700 during practice, and I'd almost always run out of time.

Ok well that's gd to hear 😀 Thank you so much!!!! Wish me luck..... Sorry 4 da bother!!! I'm getting about 500-600 on the practices now but I always run out of time, do u think I can get it up to 700 on the day?
Original post by Pinkdragon
Ok well that's gd to hear 😀 Thank you so much!!!! Wish me luck..... Sorry 4 da bother!!! I'm getting about 500-600 on the practices now but I always run out of time, do u think I can get it up to 700 on the day?

No problem, I'm glad to help! :smile: Yeah I think you definitely have a chance of getting more than 700. You should focus on finding the things that save you time (identify what topics take you more time in VR than others, for example, and spotting the hard or time consuming questions in QR straight away), and your mental game (ideally you'd be confident and calm but still very focused). The best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending