The Student Room Group

Why do people say being on your period is just an excuse for acting out.....

..when usually the only time I ever act out is the day before my period or the first day of my period. I can be really level head and think before I act, but on my period forget it about it, Why are they not taking into account that our hormones actually go out of wack? I even hear girls saying ohh it's just an excuse, who are you trying to impress?

Do you have any crazy stories where you over reacted, where you just couldn't tame your emotions.
I'm up for some funny, crazy, psychotic stories.

My worst one yet, was when I was in the car with my boyfriend, he was irritating me ( not really just my emotions were out of wack and I was dizzy in pain) and I got out of the car at a red light, he had to park somewhere and chase me down, I still took the bus home after half hour of him trying to get me back in the car- I was being stubborn AF for no real reason. Yes very irrational.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh yes being on your period is definitely a reason to be ridiculous.

I don't see it as an excuse to treat people badly or be horrible to your boyfriend/family/friends etc, mind you, but being moody and emotional and generally doing things you wouldn't normally is definitely a thing.

I flat out sob over the tiniest things anyway, let alone when my period is around the corner.

One story that my friends ask me to retell over and over is when I had set aside a sausage roll for when I got home from school one day. I can't remember how old I was but I was definitely in my mid teens. Anyway, I have always been a lover of eating food, generally most people are, but often mealtimes are on my mind all day and I look forward to good food if I know it's coming.

All day at school I was thinking about how I couldn't wait to get home and have a cuppa tea with my sausage roll. I walked in through the door, having just started my period that morning, and caught the tail end of my sausage roll being eaten by my brother in the kitchen.
I cried, he felt bad and ended up crying for making me cry and generally I did not have a good day. :')

I also cried when I realised Obama wasn't going to be the President of the US any more. I don't really know why I just thought I was gonna miss him and I'd started my period. Made my boyfriend laugh though :P

Generally I spontaneously cry over most stuff anyway, but my period just makes me sob constantly. I get angry sometimes but very briefly and at really weird things. I got angry last week because all my markers fell out the packet in my rucksack and wouldn't stay in there. It's always short lived though!

The only time my period genuinely gets me into trouble is if me and my mom sync up, we will most likely end up getting snappy at each other.
Tbh I'm moody during my period. I like to be left alone. Sometimes I cry.
Original post by PandaCalavera
Oh yes being on your period is definitely a reason to be ridiculous.

I don't see it as an excuse to treat people badly or be horrible to your boyfriend/family/friends etc, mind you, but being moody and emotional and generally doing things you wouldn't normally is definitely a thing.

I flat out sob over the tiniest things anyway, let alone when my period is around the corner.

One story that my friends ask me to retell over and over is when I had set aside a sausage roll for when I got home from school one day. I can't remember how old I was but I was definitely in my mid teens. Anyway, I have always been a lover of eating food, generally most people are, but often mealtimes are on my mind all day and I look forward to good food if I know it's coming.

All day at school I was thinking about how I couldn't wait to get home and have a cuppa tea with my sausage roll. I walked in through the door, having just started my period that morning, and caught the tail end of my sausage roll being eaten by my brother in the kitchen.
I cried, he felt bad and ended up crying for making me cry and generally I did not have a good day. :':wink:

I also cried when I realised Obama wasn't going to be the President of the US any more. I don't really know why I just thought I was gonna miss him and I'd started my period. Made my boyfriend laugh though :P

Generally I spontaneously cry over most stuff anyway, but my period just makes me sob constantly. I get angry sometimes but very briefly and at really weird things. I got angry last week because all my markers fell out the packet in my rucksack and wouldn't stay in there. It's always short lived though!

The only time my period genuinely gets me into trouble is if me and my mom sync up, we will most likely end up getting snappy at each other.

You're brother is too cute lol.
I think the "hormonal mood swing" is largely an urban myth* however I do think being grumpy or irritable because of pain or other genuinely awful symptoms is justified.

We don't expect people with migraines or the flu to be charming so why do we expect it of women on their period?

*Studies found nothing conclusive in healthy women but the condition PMDD (characterised by mood swings) is real and affects a small proportion of women, less than 10%.
Original post by xobeauty
You're brother is too cute lol.

He is lovely! We're a close family and we always cry when the other cries :')
Other people with siblings think we're weird haha
I get really teary. Last month, I was in the middle of my period and one of my summer school mentors brought in her baby. I went nuts and was cuddling him the whole time I was with my mentor :colondollar:
Reply 7
I usually get ridiculous when I'm ovulating... I once burst into tears over that thai life insurance advert! I'm not so bad on my period - I find it difficult to think anything let alone stay moody when I'm in pain :')
Reply 8
Funnily enough, asking "are you on your period?" to a moody girl on her period will only make her more pissed off to the point where she might kill you...

Learned this the hard way
Reply 9
I called my sister some pretty mean things and said heartless **** to her because she finished all the blueberries. The things I said were really rude... and I never say anything too mean to her.

Happens each time. I become heartless af and regret it later.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _howl
I called my sister some pretty mean things and said heartless **** to her because she finished all the blueberries. The things I said were really rude... and I never say anything too mean to her.

Happens each time. I become heartless af and regret it later.

Lmfao **** man that's funny, because of blueberries.

A lot of the time I regret it too.
I become a nightmare on the lead up to my period but then as soon as the period starts, I'm all sunshine and rainbows, even though I'm in agony with cramps. Going through the joys of PMS atm :cry2:

I find the cramps much more easier to deal with than the mood swings related to PMS. My boyfriend sadly takes the brunt of my moodiness :frown:

I've snapped over small things like him just looking at me and me taking it the wrong way, snapped over there not being a certain food in the house etc. I become so hungry before my period as well and that makes me.grumoy because I can't be bothered to cook and I might not have money for a takeaway but I can't not give into the hunger so have to eat and eat and eat. I also become so weepy. One memorable time was when I went to the cinema and an advert for March of The Penguins came on and as soon as I saw a penguin, I burst out crying and had to run to the toilet to calm down :colondollar: I was 12 and had only just started my period so I'm blaming inexperience on dealing with hormones for that blunder :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest