The Student Room Group

My journey to get A in psychology in one year

So basically I've recently left college with only 2 a-levels so obviously to get into a good uni, I need to have 3 a-levels. I have decided to pursue psychology and my overall aim is to get an A, taking both the AS exams and A2 exams next summer. I don't think I worked nearly enough for my other a-levels and I got decent grades for them so who knows what I'm capable of if I work my butt off :biggrin:

FYI my other a levels and what I got in them:
History - B
Classics - B

My university options:

Southampton
Royal Hollaway
University of Kent
University of Sussex

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FNugent
So basically I've recently left college with only 2 a-levels so obviously to get into a good uni, I need to have 3 a-levels. I have decided to pursue psychology and my overall aim is to get an A, taking both the AS exams and A2 exams next summer. I don't think I worked nearly enough for my other a-levels and I got decent grades for them so who knows what I'm capable of if I work my butt off :biggrin:

FYI my other a levels and what I got in them:
History - B
Classics - B

My university options:

Southampton
Royal Hollaway
University of Kent
University of Sussex

Im also doing psychology in one year! How are you going about this! I'm so scared its going to be such a big work load!
Reply 2
Original post by Katelwxxx
Im also doing psychology in one year! How are you going about this! I'm so scared its going to be such a big work load!

Tbh I'm pretty calm about it. I've got a ton of free time this year (gap year) and since I'm targeting only one subject, I don't think it will be too much of a drag. I've also got a good tutor and I know this website called loopa which apparently is really helpful to students and gets them top grades.
Original post by FNugent
Tbh I'm pretty calm about it. I've got a ton of free time this year (gap year) and since I'm targeting only one subject, I don't think it will be too much of a drag. I've also got a good tutor and I know this website called loopa which apparently is really helpful to students and gets them top grades.

Whats that? Have you paid for this tutor to help you out? i need like at least a B minimum! Im kinda the same as you, I'm doing a btec in two months so that'll be done pretty soon as I'm paying to get it done quicker and I'm sitting 1 unit of sociology as i got AABD so I've got a lot of time after this as well
Reply 4
Whats that? Have you paid for this tutor to help you out? i need like at least a B minimum! Im kinda the same as you, I'm doing a btec in two months so that'll be done pretty soon as I'm paying to get it done quicker and I'm sitting 1 unit of sociology as i got AABD so I've got a lot of time after this as well

Yeah I've paid for a tutor. Have you done the AS exam of psychology? Cause I haven't and will have to do both the AS and A2 next summer. Youre AS grades are really good though!
Original post by FNugent
Yeah I've paid for a tutor. Have you done the AS exam of psychology? Cause I haven't and will have to do both the AS and A2 next summer. Youre AS grades are really good though!

no i haven't I've got to do the two in the summer 2017 as well! I'm nervous for this! how much have you paid for a tutor and are you starting that now?
Reply 6
no i haven't I've got to do the two in the summer 2017 as well! I'm nervous for this! how much have you paid for a tutor and are you starting that now?

I've only had one lesson so far. I'm paying £45 a hour.
Original post by FNugent
I've only had one lesson so far. I'm paying £45 a hour.

Jesus thats expensive for 1 hour!
Reply 8
A lesson once every two weeks so most of it will be independent
Reply 9
Jesus thats expensive for 1 hour!

Are you going to have a tutor or will you self-teach?
Original post by FNugent
Are you going to have a tutor or will you self-teach?

Im gonna do the same as you (i hope) I'm already paying for a private tutor for law as well though which is 30 pound an hour a week so really trying to look for more reasonable prices
Reply 11
Im gonna do the same as you (i hope) I'm already paying for a private tutor for law as well though which is 30 pound an hour a week so really trying to look for more reasonable prices

Good luck!
Good luck to you too!
Original post by FNugent

Just a word of warning about using loopa. If you read examiner reports for psychology Alevel from the most recent years you will see examiners repeatedly refer to the use of ' 'model essay so ' and ' rote learning '. The best way to do well in psychology is to write your own essays using the content in the textbooks and use places such as Loopa to structure the 'IDA points ' if you want any help with psychology then please tell me cause I've got a load of PowerPoints which I made which cover research methods, media, schizophrenia, aggression ect so they may be of use to yourself !

Extra info : I got an A* in psychology this year :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by fefssdf
Just a word of warning about using loopa. If you read examiner reports for psychology Alevel from the most recent years you will see examiners repeatedly refer to the use of ' 'model essay so ' and ' rote learning '. The best way to do well in psychology is to write your own essays using the content in the textbooks and use places such as Loopa to structure the 'IDA points ' if you want any help with psychology then please tell me cause I've got a load of PowerPoints which I made which cover research methods, media, schizophrenia, aggression ect so they may be of use to yourself !

Omg thank you so much for the advice and please if possible can I have a look at your powerpoints?

Also what are the 'IDA' points?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf

do you mind if i private message you to get these power points! Im overly stressed about pretty much teaching myself and could do with the extra help haha!
do you mind if i private message you to get these power points! Im overly stressed about pretty much teaching myself and could do with the extra help haha!

yes message me now and I'll send you over some powerpoints and other bits !
Original post by FNugent
Omg thank you so much for the advice and please if possible can I have a look at your powerpoints?

Also what are the 'IDA' points?

PM me and i will send over some powerpoints and stuff

IDA refers to Issues, Debates, and applications which help contribute to the ' evaluation ' aspect of A-Level psychology essays.

This includes - gender bias, cultural bias, real life applications, reductionist, deterministic, ethics, ect
Reply 18
Good luck to you too!

Have you found a tutor?
Original post by FNugent
Have you found a tutor?

I have! But I'm not starting with her yet I'm going to wait until around december time and until then teach my self

Quick Reply

Latest