The Student Room Group

Can I apply to medicine?

I took A level Biology, Chemistry,Physics,Maths last year, and got the grades
Chem- A
Bio- A
Physics- A
Maths-C
Ive have the option to have all of my science subjects predicted at A* because on my internal examinations ( all sciences) I got 90%+. After a few lessons this year I've quickly realised retaining all of the year 1 knowledge and learning A2 ontop will be a much harder task, and am considering dropping maths. Would I still be competitive enough to be able to apply to medicine with predictions of something like A*A*A with an AS maths C on my ucas form? I really want to to ideally go somewhere like Imperial,UCL, Kings (maybe even oxford at a longshot). Should I drop maths with a C at AS (and resit one of my units to try to get to an A) or continue it with a prediction of a B? Thanks, advice would be much appreciated.
Maybe drop math, yes. You get almost no advantage anywhere of doing more than 3 A levels. You should be fine: your predictions look great, and based on the fact that you're considering Oxford I'm guessing that your GCSEs were really good as well - just check that the unis you're applying to don't require a better grade than C at AS. :smile:
Original post by s4l4l
I took A level Biology, Chemistry,Physics,Maths last year, and got the grades
Chem- A
Bio- A
Physics- A
Maths-C
Ive have the option to have all of my science subjects predicted at A* because on my internal examinations ( all sciences) I got 90%+. After a few lessons this year I've quickly realised retaining all of the year 1 knowledge and learning A2 ontop will be a much harder task, and am considering dropping maths. Would I still be competitive enough to be able to apply to medicine with predictions of something like A*A*A with an AS maths C on my ucas form? I really want to to ideally go somewhere like Imperial,UCL, Kings (maybe even oxford at a longshot). Should I drop maths with a C at AS (and resit one of my units to try to get to an A) or continue it with a prediction of a B? Thanks, advice would be much appreciated.

Hello! First, congratulations on the AS results! They're brilliant! Unfortunately KCL requires at least a B in the AS level, I would assume imperial and UCL do as well! So 100% retake a module or two for maths. I would drop it however for an AS so you can focus doing your other subjects which you know and your teachers know you'll excel in! Have you taken your UKCAT? If so what score did you get? If you did well look into universities that look at your UKCAT a lot, if not, the other way round! Good luck!
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply, appreciate your help a lot. I will take your advice onboard and retake a few modules, and will take BMAT and UKCAT later this year, hopefully it will go well! Thanks again

Original post by Nellwatson12
Hello! First, congratulations on the AS results! They're brilliant! Unfortunately KCL requires at least a B in the AS level, I would assume imperial and UCL do as well! So 100% retake a module or two for maths. I would drop it however for an AS so you can focus doing your other subjects which you know and your teachers know you'll excel in! Have you taken your UKCAT? If so what score did you get? If you did well look into universities that look at your UKCAT a lot, if not, the other way round! Good luck!
Reply 4
Thanks for your advice, really appreciate it.

Original post by StationToStation
Maybe drop math, yes. You get almost no advantage anywhere of doing more than 3 A levels. You should be fine: your predictions look great, and based on the fact that you're considering Oxford I'm guessing that your GCSEs were really good as well - just check that the unis you're applying to don't require a better grade than C at AS. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending