The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Claree
Quite a lot of things... :tongue:

I'd read the lecture notes through before the lectures on them, so lectures were like revision and the extra things the lecturers said were more helpful to me, as I understood them. Then I'd read the lecture notes again after the lecture. Then I'd keep going back over earlier handouts throughout the term. Otherwise I get lost in the lectures or forget what the symbols mean half way through the lectue course. It's hard to find time for this though! The first reading always takes ages, and subsequent readings get quicker, so it helps starting as soon as possible e.g. the holidays.

I think I'd go through notes more thoroughly, making sure that I could fit the content into a mental framework, rather than just reading them. Anything I couldn't remember on just reading it, I'd tackle it then rather than leaving it for later.

I'd start doing past papers much earlier, say sometime through the Easter holidays, so I could get through a good number of them and have time for supervisors to help with what I couldn't do. I'd do old past paper questions and bring them to supervisions in Michaelmas and Lent. I'd try to do all past paper questions without my notes, so I'd go through the notes for a topic before starting exam qs on it. This meant that I got used to extract info from my memory rather than copying things out of notes. I'd start learning complicated proofs early, and would practise writing them from memory rather than copying them out.

I'd make an effort to finish work early enough on the nights before physics and chemistry practicals so that I wasn't tired in them, otherwise it's horrible getting through them sleep-deprived! :tongue: I'd also manage work better to have decent amounts of sleep generally, as the lectures I turned up to really tired, I might as well not have gone to! Likewise for supervisions. This year I made getting all the sleep I wanted a priority, which motivated me to do work well in advance! Once I had a fairly good idea what work I'd have to do that term, I'd plan my time and what work I'd do then for the rest of the term, and I could always amend it later. I'd plan realistic amounts of time to do work, always allocating too much time to do something if I wasn't sure how long it would take. (This year I left half an hour per problem sheet question as a guide, and adapted it if questions were significantly longer/shorter) This allowed plenty of time to look things up in my notes/online if necessary, and any left over time I could use to have a break, or go over notes/read ahead, or start on some other work.

I'd read back through the lecture notes and the problem sheet before a supervision if I couldn't remember what we'd covered/the questions. I'd write my questions of things I didn't understand on the work I handed in or on my copy of the question sheet to make sure they were discussed in the supervision.

I'd leave questions on problem sheets if I were stuck on them to go through in the supervision, rather than wasting hours trying different things. And I'd do the supervision sheet questions relating to each day's lectures as soon as possible after the lectures to save having masses of questions to do at once. I found it really hard to find the time for this though in first year!

I'd properly go through all Michaelmas work over Christmas and try some old past paper questions on them.

I'd not take on quite as much music extracurricular things to leave more time for work. I think I only really had evenings, Sat after lectures and Sundays to do work in first year, as afternoons were usually busy with practicals/supervisions. This meant that having rehearsals in evenings left me with not much time, other than at night, to work! I'd also waste less time wandering around town, making unneccessary trips to Sainsburys etc.

I'd also have confidence that not everyone was miles more intelligent than me, and that I could do just as well if I worked smart and hard. (That's not something you can just do, though!)

This sums up what I did this year that worked very well for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I'm too lazy for Cambridge
Original post by paddy10663
Yes, I’ll be doing CompSci! I will also be away for the next few days but I’d be happy to talk to you about it after that. Someone else will, no doubt, fill you in on stuff well before then though.

Thanks!
Can anyone please explain the difference between 'full term' and 'university term'? Like it says FT ends on 2nd December but UT ends on 19th December so does that mean we can't go home until 19th December?
Reply 1403
Original post by smartalan73
Can anyone please explain the difference between 'full term' and 'university term'? Like it says FT ends on 2nd December but UT ends on 19th December so does that mean we can't go home until 19th December?

You won't have to stay until the 19th. Moving day for my college is the 5th.

You're pretty much expected to stay in residence at Cambridge for the same duration as Full Term. There are some archaic rules about this where some people have to stay behind after their last term if they haven't been in Cambridge for long enough during their degree. But in practice this doesn't happen much due to how long you're in Cambridge before and after term, and people usually don't tell their college when they leave.
Original post by sweeneyrod
Yes. 9.5 A*'s, 1A at GCSE; 4 A's at AS, 3 A*'s at A2 in Maths, Further Maths, Physics (and Chemistry dropped). On my personal statement I wrote about a few programming projects, some freelance programming I'd done, my StackOverflow account, and some books I'd read. Some programming things I think are worth doing are Project Euler, the British Informatics Olympiad, and the National Cipher Challenge. If you have any questions feel free to p.m. me.

Thank you so much for the advice! I didn't get anywhere near that amount of A*s, but I got A*s in all of the hardest, most relevant subjects(Maths and sciences). I got all A*s and As, in my 11 subjects. I go to a below average school (non-private). Surely this should be ok, as long as I do really good in my A-levels. I chose Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I'm pretty good at Maths and Physics, so I think I can do well at A level.

Over the summer is when I have only REALLY got into programming. I learnt Java, Python, CSS, HTML and a little bit of Swift. Although I find it easy to learn them, I am nowhere near fluent, and cannot code as fast or efficiently as I would like. I am thinking about doing projects similar to what you have done, but I need this fluency. What would you suggest that I do to improve my fluency? What age did you start programming?

On top of those projects, I was thinking about creating a drone with an arduino/Raspberry Pi inside, and creating a program which would allow it to fly itself(or at least fly itself to a certain extent). I also have a few good ideas for apps; but again, fluency. Again, thank for the response!!!!
Original post by alow
You won't have to stay until the 19th. Moving day for my college is the 5th.

You're pretty much expected to stay in residence at Cambridge for the same duration as Full Term. There are some archaic rules about this where some people have to stay behind after their last term if they haven't been in Cambridge for long enough during their degree. But in practice this doesn't happen much due to how long you're in Cambridge before and after term, and people usually don't tell their college when they leave.

So basically I could go home any time after 2nd but could stay up until 19th? As long as I've stayed in college the required number of nights already that term?
Reply 1406
So basically I could go home any time after 2nd but could stay up until 19th? As long as I've stayed in college the required number of nights already that term?

You can stay at college the whole time if you residency contract says that or you pay for extra nights.

Your college probably designates a moving day, and you'll likely have supervisions up until the 2nd anyway.

Depends on your college, but if you're on a term time only contract you may have to move out well before the 19th, in case they are using your room for conferences/interviews.
Original post by mrman2000
Thank you so much for the advice! I didn't get anywhere near that amount of A*s, but I got A*s in all of the hardest, most relevant subjects(Maths and sciences). I got all A*s and As, in my 11 subjects. I go to a below average school (non-private). Surely this should be ok, as long as I do really good in my A-levels. I chose Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I'm pretty good at Maths and Physics, so I think I can do well at A level.

Over the summer is when I have only REALLY got into programming. I learnt Java, Python, CSS, HTML and a little bit of Swift. Although I find it easy to learn them, I am nowhere near fluent, and cannot code as fast or efficiently as I would like. I am thinking about doing projects similar to what you have done, but I need this fluency. What would you suggest that I do to improve my fluency? What age did you start programming?

On top of those projects, I was thinking about creating a drone with an arduino/Raspberry Pi inside, and creating a program which would allow it to fly itself(or at least fly itself to a certain extent). I also have a few good ideas for apps; but again, fluency. Again, thank for the response!!!!

No problem. As you say, A-levels are more important than GCSEs. I think the best way to improve your programming skills is by writing programs. Think of an interesting project (but not something impossible) and start doing it, looking on the internet for help when you get stuck. It doesn't matter if you don't finish it; I think most programmers have loads of half-finished projects lying about (at least I do). One thing you could try is making a text based game, or a personal website (you might also end up learning JavaScript). A drone or an app also sounds good. You could also try focusing on one language in particular. I started programming with GameMaker (drag and drop code) at the age of 10ish, and learnt Python the summer before year 10. But it doesn't really matter when you start; some people get into Computer Science courses without having done any (although probably not that many people do that).
It's suddenly dark and thundery here and my mum suggested that it's the start of judgement day.

I got upset because that would mean I never started at Cambridge...

You only have to,stay during Full Term.
They have what it's called Residentail Week which is one week each before a full term starts and after a full term ends, during which time you can stay at college (usually with extra cost) if you want to.
If you want to stay outside full term, you need to book a room in advance by a certain day. (Including for residential week)
If the college has already planned something for your room, you may have to stay in another room for the period.

I *think* 'University Term' is when administrative offices and other functions of university is open for full operation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Serine Soul
It's suddenly dark and thundery here and my mum suggested that it's the start of judgement day.

Not going to be surprised if my plane crashes tbh

Either judgement day or you are in the North of England.
Original post by Zacken
Not going to be surprised if my plane crashes tbh

Hold tight
Original post by 16Characters....
Either judgement day or you are in the North of England.

Indeed I am
Indeed I am

Go the North :-) It was thundering where I am before but then it stopped. Now it's started again. Doesn't seem to know what to do.
Go the North :-) It was thundering where I am before but then it stopped. Now it's started again. Doesn't seem to know what to do.

All quiet in York. Think the West is copping it.

:five:
It's rained quite a lot and calmed the thunder down. It was lightning like mad but the scariest was the sudden darkness
:five:
It's rained quite a lot and calmed the thunder down. It was lightning like mad but the scariest was the sudden darkness

I'm enjoying the darkness now. The lightning is pretty against the dark sky.
Original post by sweeneyrod
No problem. As you say, A-levels are more important than GCSEs. I think the best way to improve your programming skills is by writing programs. Think of an interesting project (but not something impossible) and start doing it, looking on the internet for help when you get stuck. It doesn't matter if you don't finish it; I think most programmers have loads of half-finished projects lying about (at least I do). One thing you could try is making a text based game, or a personal website (you might also end up learning JavaScript). A drone or an app also sounds good. You could also try focusing on one language in particular. I started programming with GameMaker (drag and drop code) at the age of 10ish, and learnt Python the summer before year 10. But it doesn't really matter when you start; some people get into Computer Science courses without having done any (although probably not that many people do that).

Thanks! This means so much to me, whether I apply to Cambridge or not. Would it be okay if I dm you asking you questions in the future?
Original post by mrman2000
Thanks! This means so much to me, whether I apply to Cambridge or not. Would it be okay if I dm you asking you questions in the future?

Yeah, sure.

Quick Reply

Latest