The Student Room Group

MySQA 2018

And so a new academic year starts, and the pursuit of knowledge and qualifications begins again. Remember I will be here if you have any problems or questions about the exams, or even just about studying. I'm always happy to help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was wondering if you know why there is no official SQA textbook for Higher Computing? I'm trying to revise for my computing test and me and many others find that making notes/flash cards from textbooks is really beneficial, but obviously we cannot do that. Not only that but what is available to us (Bitesize, teacher notes, online resources from other schools etc) do not seem to match the key areas in the SQA support notes. Maybe you know if they are planning to release a textbook?

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ellora09
I was wondering if you know why there is no official SQA textbook for Higher Computing? I'm trying to revise for my computing test and me and many others find that making notes/flash cards from textbooks is really beneficial, but obviously we cannot do that. Not only that but what is available to us (Bitesize, teacher notes, online resources from other schools etc) do not seem to match the key areas in the SQA support notes. Maybe you know if they are planning to release a textbook?

There are CFE Higher Computing textbooks from BrightRed and How to Pass. I personally used BrightRed for Old Higher so I can vouch for it.
Reply 3
Original post by Ellora09

This really annoyed me last year. I know Leckie & Leckie were going to release a textbook last October for it before it got "delayed indefinitely" and after looking again recently out of curiosity it doesn't seem to have changed. However I can say from experience that the Bright Red Study Guides (not textbooks, significant difference) are ok but not great, but the Hodder Gibson How to Pass book for Comp. Sci is really good, although of course these are still no substitute for an actual textbook. However this isn't exactly the fault of the SQA.
BBC Bitesize wasn't that bad however it often didn't go into enough detail or didn't use the correct terminology, and I don't think much to Scholar in terms of how its structured and even just the information provided, that and all of the quizzes are broken (still) meaning that there is a difference between what the answer actually is and what the quiz thinks it is

I think the publishers really need to make a better effort of getting good quality textbooks out for the courses that need them, National 4, 5 & CfE Higher as we are now a good 3 years into the new qualifications now (N4/5) and some are still waiting.
Original post by PTS_99
This really annoyed me last year. I know Leckie & Leckie were going to release a textbook last October for it before it got "delayed indefinitely" and after looking again recently out of curiosity it doesn't seem to have changed. However I can say from experience that the Bright Red Study Guides (not textbooks, significant difference) are ok but not great, but the Hodder Gibson How to Pass book for Comp. Sci is really good, although of course these are still no substitute for an actual textbook. However this isn't exactly the fault of the SQA.
BBC Bitesize wasn't that bad however it often didn't go into enough detail or didn't use the correct terminology, and I don't think much to Scholar in terms of how its structured and even just the information provided, that and all of the quizzes are broken (still) meaning that there is a difference between what the answer actually is and what the quiz thinks it is

I think the publishers really need to make a better effort of getting good quality textbooks out for the courses that need them, National 4, 5 & CfE Higher as we are now a good 3 years into the new qualifications now (N4/5) and some are still waiting.

I've made a note of this conversation and passed it on to the department - thanks for the comments!
The first Xmas commercials appearing on TV can mean only one thing - prelims! But don't panic, SAM's Work Tips start next Monday!scream-painting.jpg
SAM’s Work Tips No 1: Don't wait until revision time, follow SAM’s Tips here and pick up some effective ways to work now.
SAM’s Work Tips No 2: The good news/bad news is there’s no trick basically the harder you work, the better you will do.
SAM’s Work Tips No 3: Put the effort in now, during the year, and revision will come much easier. There's time, but time slips away...
SAM’s Work Tips No 4: Cramming can get you extra marks. But it’s the work you do now that will get the bulk of them.
SAM’s Work Tips No 5: You can’t work 24/7. Take the breaks you need but remember they are just breaks!
SAM’s Work Tips No 6: It's easier to remember something if you understand it.
SAM’s Work Tips No 7: You’re not the first person to sit exams, it may be stressful but you’ll get there.
SAM’s Work Tips No 8: Everything is relevant one fact may be the difference between and A and B. Reviewing as you learn helps it stick.
SAM’s Work Tips No 9: There’s no substitute for study hours. Every hour going over work will make each hour revising later more effective.
SAM’s Work Tips No 10: A relaxed home environment is the best place to study try to avoid fights or arguments.
SAM’s Work Tips No 11: The sooner you start working, the more time you have, the more you cover, the better you do. Less pressure too.
SAM’s Work Tips No 12: Sometimes a change of scene can help you retain info a library, a park, even a different room.
Do you give the same tips each year?
Original post by Mystery.
Do you give the same tips each year?

A lot of them are classics, but I change them a bit - sometimes people suggest new ones or I come across others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending