The Student Room Group

unrealistic to go from a C to an A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My Maths story
I started at one sixth form and got a U in the first exam (38%)
I moved back to my old school and two months later got a U again (35% this time wtf)
I wanted to drop it tbh but I already had started paying for a tutor so Mom wanted me to continue
August 18th open the brown envelope and see an A
Just keep working at it

I'm also on a C at chemistry (edexcel) now, but its reformed so the grade is really just an indication
Reply 21
Original post by jessyjellytot14
I got a U in my AS maths mock exam and then got an A in the real thing...
If you think you have the potential of getting an A, just work your butt off for it and don't let anyone else's negative opinions stop you from aiming high.

I will! thank you :smile:
Reply 22
is it unrealistic? probably not. is it unlikely in most cases? probably so.
Original post by 543216789
I had a C in as chemistry because of personal circumstances and my chemistry teacher said that it is unrealistic to get from a C to an A (even with resits). I'm looking for opinions/experiences because i need an A and what she said really disheartened me

Don't give up prove her wrong. But if you don't believe in yourself then you will fail. I was getting u and f in all of my subjects in y11 and I came out with 7 cs which isint amazing but I was happy with it and all my teachers were telling me you will probably end up with f and e if you even revise
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Went from E's and Ds in every subject to getting nearly straight A/A*s for my GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

congrats! that's great :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by a_d_e
My Maths story
I started at one sixth form and got a U in the first exam (38%)
I moved back to my old school and two months later got a U again (35% this time wtf)
I wanted to drop it tbh but I already had started paying for a tutor so Mom wanted me to continue
August 18th open the brown envelope and see an A
Just keep working at it

I'm also on a C at chemistry (edexcel) now, but its reformed so the grade is really just an indication

Thank you, that's amazing
Reply 26
Original post by Westhamfan40
Don't give up prove her wrong. But if you don't believe in yourself then you will fail. I was getting u and f in all of my subjects in y11 and I came out with 7 cs which isint amazing but I was happy with it and all my teachers were telling me you will probably end up with f and e if you even revise[/

thats great! I'm going to prove her wrong haha
Reply 27
I had a C in as chemistry because of personal circumstances and my chemistry teacher said that it is unrealistic to get from a C to an A (even with resits). I'm looking for opinions/experiences because i need an A and what she said really disheartened me

I got an E and U in the AS Physics January mocks and ended up being only one mark off an A in the AS exams, which were from the new specification, so none of us knew what the AS papers were going to be like, as we had only ever seen one set of papers, and I fully believed that I was not going to do well in it! Do not let her get you down; use what she said to motivate you to perform astoundingly and ultimately prove her wrong :smile: Sorry to hear that personal circumstances affected your studies, it would have been difficult to concentrate on studies in a situation like that, but it does very much sound as though you are a hard worker :smile: Good luck! (and prove your teacher wrong!!)
Reply 28
I live in north wales so it isn't linear, the AS counts for 40% of the A-level

Oh, right. Do you mean 50%? :confused:

Honestly, the responses about people getting bad mock grades and much better actual grades aren't special; I think most people do worse in their mocks because they don't take them seriously. But mocks aren't important because they don't contribute to the final grade at all.

Since your AS grade will make up the overall A Level grade, I imagine you will resit an exam or two. You should find the resits a lot easier and you should aim to bump your grade up to a solid/high a. This means that in your A2 exams, although you should certainly aim for the best, you will only need roughly Bs to get an A overall.

Now for my story: I got a C at AS. In one of my AS exams I did very badly- let's just say I literally failed. In the other, I scraped a 'b'. I was aiming for an A at A-Level, but it didn't happen... I have to say that I didn't learn from my mistakes of wasting the entire year and only revising at the end. I was about 20 UMS from an A. These marks could have fairly easily been gained if I had resat the other AS exam. I kind of regret not resitting it, but I also have to consider the fact that I would have had more exams to revise for - and at the rate my revision was going, I may have ended up with a B either way.
I went from a high A in my business mock to a C! Anything is possible if you try.
Original post by Exceptional
I went from CCDD at AS to AABB at A2 (+ A in the EPQ). It's possible, just put in the effort.

hii how long did you take on your epq?
I wasted my whole summer, only got a month left to submit it.
Got the whole plan. Just looking for stuff now.
Im soo depressed. Screwed AS tooo ;-;
Reply 31
People do the entire A-level in a year and get an A, you'll be doing A2 plus building on AS, it's possible but only with resits and hard work! You'd also need to question your personal motivation to the subject, I understand personal circumstances can make things tough but do ask yourself if there's another underlying issue like the teaching style, the syllabus, the stress, etc. And then find a way to work with it, without solving any underlying problems you'll never be able to do your best
Reply 32
Original post by KloppOClock
I went from a high A in my business mock to a C! Anything is possible if you try.

Erm, I hope you meant the other way around... :tongue:
Reply 33

I went from an E to an A by resitting all my chemistry exams, it's difficult but do-able, just need to decide that it's what you really want!

I hope this doesn't come off as just me blowing my own trumpet, just thought it may be encouraging? I know it would have helped me last year if I had know it was possible.
(edited 7 years ago)

Have faith in yourself! don't listen to that teacher who said it is unrealistic because if you put your immense efforts into the exam prep and knowledge there is nothing stopping you from achieving your goal. It will be hard work but there is no better feeling when that work pays off...work smart and hard!

Best of luck :smile:
I went from an E in AS Chem to an A by resitting all AS modules, mainly because I didn't do past papers the first time round.
Reply 36
Original post by meridian0
Oh, right. Do you mean 50%? :confused:

Honestly, the responses about people getting bad mock grades and much better actual grades aren't special; I think most people do worse in their mocks because they don't take them seriously. But mocks aren't important because they don't contribute to the final grade at all.

Since your AS grade will make up the overall A Level grade, I imagine you will resit an exam or two. You should find the resits a lot easier and you should aim to bump your grade up to a solid/high a. This means that in your A2 exams, although you should certainly aim for the best, you will only need roughly Bs to get an A overall.

Now for my story: I got a C at AS. In one of my AS exams I did very badly- let's just say I literally failed. In the other, I scraped a 'b'. I was aiming for an A at A-Level, but it didn't happen... I have to say that I didn't learn from my mistakes of wasting the entire year and only revising at the end. I was about 20 UMS from an A. These marks could have fairly easily been gained if I had resat the other AS exam. I kind of regret not resitting it, but I also have to consider the fact that I would have had more exams to revise for - and at the rate my revision was going, I may have ended up with a B either way.

For the new spec in Wales the AS only counts for 40% :smile: thank you for your advice, thats what im going to do! A B is also great!
Reply 37
Original post by Kattah96
Have faith in yourself! don't listen to that teacher who said it is unrealistic because if you put your immense efforts into the exam prep and knowledge there is nothing stopping you from achieving your goal. It will be hard work but there is no better feeling when that work pays off...work smart and hard!

Best of luck :smile:

thank you so much for the motivation and advice. im going to put everything into that A haha :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Sarah1778
I went from an E in AS Chem to an A by resitting all AS modules, mainly because I didn't do past papers the first time round.

thats amazing! thats what im going to do and resit at least 1 of two of the modules :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by _MAT_
I went from an E to an A by resitting all my chemistry exams, it's difficult but do-able, just need to decide that it's what you really want!

I hope this doesn't come off as just me blowing my own trumpet, just thought it may be encouraging? I know it would have helped me last year if I had know it was possible.

that's so great and no, this was encouraging :smile:, i just needed to know that it was possible!

Quick Reply

Latest