The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Tonmeister application

Hey!
I'm a prospective tonmeister applicant for 2017 and just in need of some advice.
I just did my music, maths, and physics AS levels and got ABC respectively. The C in physics could be potentially remarked to a B but in general I think I will be predicted AAA or AAB. I understand that the entry requirements are AAA in these subjects but I am just wondering if my application would even be considered if I were to apply with the grades I currently have. My physics result will not count toward my A2 grade so if I pull my finger out I could potentially get an A.

I am also midway through completing an extended project qualification based on foley sound production and was also wondering if this is beneficial or not.
Last question, I am also in with a chance of an A* in music as I got a very high mark and I wanted to know if this would consolidate a B in another subject.

I just want to know if I need to gear myself for a year out and perhaps organise work experience and similar activities as I will very likely reapply if I don't get in on the basis of my AS results

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Shmadm
Hey!
I'm a prospective tonmeister applicant for 2017 and just in need of some advice.
I just did my music, maths, and physics AS levels and got ABC respectively. The C in physics could be potentially remarked to a B but in general I think I will be predicted AAA or AAB. I understand that the entry requirements are AAA in these subjects but I am just wondering if my application would even be considered if I were to apply with the grades I currently have. My physics result will not count toward my A2 grade so if I pull my finger out I could potentially get an A.

I am also midway through completing an extended project qualification based on foley sound production and was also wondering if this is beneficial or not.
Last question, I am also in with a chance of an A* in music as I got a very high mark and I wanted to know if this would consolidate a B in another subject.

I just want to know if I need to gear myself for a year out and perhaps organise work experience and similar activities as I will very likely reapply if I don't get in on the basis of my AS results

Thanks!

Hi there,

I'm about to start the Tonmeister course so have been going through the whole application process for the past year. I think as you're studying the exact subjects that they require, you do have a chance of being considered (I think the B in Physics would help too if the remark goes well!). Remember, Music and Sound Recording isn't a school-taught subject so they can't base your offer only on grades (although this is of course important) and so I think your interest in the subject and your personal statement can make all the difference. For this reason, I would include a sentence or two in your personal statement about the topic that you're focusing on in your EPQ and how it interests you, as they will be looking for you to be directly interested in Music and Sound Recording as well as having the required grades.
If you're worried about your Physics grade, try to do some Physics further reading and mention this in your personal statement (If you can attend any Physics talks or lectures happening near where you live this would also be beneficial). If you show a deep interest in Physics, they might not be so strict on what grade you get - no harm in trying!
I hadn't even taken A level Physics so I had to take a Physics test right before my interview, I wouldn't call myself an A grade Physics student but I mentioned further reading/attending lectures in my personal statement so I think that might help to give your application a boost! Besides, every student is different and they expect some to be better at Maths and Music and some to be better at Physics, I wouldn't worry too much, as long as it's clear you've made an effort outside of your studies.
In answer to your question, they accept A*AB as an equivalent to AAA (that's what I got, as well as someone I know already on the course).
Lastly, if you're stuck for ideas on what further reading to do, this book may be good to take a look at as one of the writers used to be a Tonmeister professor at Surrey. You can buy it, or here's a link to a free PDF:

http://www.adnicholson.com/Sound%20and%20Recording,%206th%20Edition.pdf

I own a copy myself and I think it's recommended on a bunch of Tonmeister threads - its full of loads of great info.
Hope this helps - good luck! :biggrin:
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by Shmadm
Hey!

Thanks!

Hello :smile:

I see that you've received some great advice below! :smile: If you wanted to get in touch with our admissions team one of our advisers would be happy to talk this through with you as well. You can give them an email on [email protected] and they'll forward you on to the most relevant person :smile:

Emma
Reply 3
Hi. I was just wondering weather receiving an interview is a promising sign or not. Since in some places they say that "we interview all applicants" whereas in other places they say that "suitable applicants will be invited to an interview". Anyone have an answer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending