The Student Room Group

Questions about smoking

Having recently started sixth form, I've noticed that quite a few people (some of which I didn't know smoked do). Most of them smoking rolling tobacco (often GV).

I'm curious if anyone had any ideas on the following:

1. Roughly what's the proportion of people aged 16-25 smoke?
2. Why do most people smoke rolling tobacco rather then just buying a pack of cigarettes? Maybe they don't - just personal experience :smile:
Rolling tobacco is cheaper plus you get to choose your own flavours of filter and rolling papers. But you know how it goes - smoking is unhealthy. They should try vaping instead.
Reply 2
I'd say perhaps 20% of that age range are frequent smokers. Maybe less. There's bound to be a source somewhere that explores this but cba looking.

As for why, lower cost, and higher control (e.g. paper thickness & length, tobacco amount per smoke, filter types, etc).

The only real advantages of buying packaged cigarettes is that they are obviously more time efficient in being able to smoke as soon as they are bought, and that not all people seem to know how to roll their own.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jambojim97
Rolling tobacco is cheaper plus you get to choose your own flavours of filter and rolling papers. But you know how it goes - smoking is unhealthy. They should try vaping instead.

Original post by Wiggly
I'd say perhaps 20% of that age range are frequent smokers. Maybe less. There's bound to be a source somewhere that explores this but cba looking.

As for why, lower cost, and higher control (e.g. paper thickness & length, tobacco amount per smoke, filter types, etc).

The only real advantages of buying packaged cigarettes is that they are obviously more time efficient in being able to smoke as soon as they are bought, and that not all people seem to know how to roll their own.

Makes sense, thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Really detailed answer, thanks very much :smile:
Original post by ct998
Having recently started sixth form, I've noticed that quite a few people (some of which I didn't know smoked do). Most of them smoking rolling tobacco (often GV).

I'm curious if anyone had any ideas on the following:

1. Roughly what's the proportion of people aged 16-25 smoke?
2. Why do most people smoke rolling tobacco rather then just buying a pack of cigarettes? Maybe they don't - just personal experience :smile:

Same with me, quite a few people start smoking around this sort of age and given most people have so many free periods in sixth form then it's something that many people do just to pass the time.

1) According to the Association for Young People's Health, between the ages of 16-24, 1 in 5 people regularly smoke. This number surprised me slightly as I know a couple of smokers, but i'd say from my experience it is more like 1 in 8 but I guess the official stats are more accurate!

2) As the others have said, it's the cheapest. At 16, people who are earning £5.30 an hour simply can't afford to buy packets of cigarettes and then if they continue smoking as they earn more and grow older then they have just got used to the brand they smoke so just continue which is one of the reasons so many smoke rolling tobacco.

Quick Reply

Latest