The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9360
Original post by Gob Bluth
Time to bench Coutinho please - had enough of him shooting whenever he gets the ball. The teamwork today was so much better to watch, Firmino, Mane, Lallana are all better players really.

Yeah Coutinho's pretty ****. He'll come alive second half of the season with a few longshots though.
For what it's worth, yesterday's result was brilliant and a really good occasion - but it didn't teach us anything new.

Mane and Firmino are our two stand-out performers right now, and they should be in every teamsheet for the foreseeable future. Both are incredible in terms of their selflessness, and both seem to have some sort of symbiotic understanding despite their relative limited game time together. Likewise, Lallana just continues to confirm and confirm that he is a Klopp player.

Sturridge probably did enough yesterday to warrant an inclusion against Chelsea, while Henderson also shined in the middle of the park. That's incredibly refreshing for me, because I've felt he has been limited and playing within himself for some time now. You imagine either he or Wijnaldum will be the one to make way when Can is fit, and it's probably going to be the latter, with Lallana showing good form.

Coutinho is a magnificent footballer on his day, but he looked out of sorts at White Hart Lane and didn't have any effect when introduced yesterday. I'm not saying he doesn't make my first choice XI, but right now, it's hard to make a case for him starting over any of Lallana, Firmino and Mane at Stamford Bridge.

I felt Milner played very well yesterday, in an understated way, which is something quite impressive considering how Leicester like to play and completely dismantled us down the left wing at the King Power last season in that 2-0 defeat.

Lucas' brain fart was just that - a brain fart - and it's a shame we were robbed of seeing Matip/Lovren's tandem, which we all hope is going to be a successful one, and we showed defensive frailties and vulnerabilities once again.

That said, nine goals in four games is a positive haul and it shows our attacking prowess, and it's good to kick off the new-look Anfield with a victory.
Nice striker Mario Balotelli says joining Liverpool was the "worst decision of my life".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37318761

Haha such a delusional individual. You'd think throwing away all his talent would be his worst decision?

And frankly no doubt the club and fans see Balotelli as the biggest waste of £20mil..
Original post by Zerforax
Nice striker Mario Balotelli says joining Liverpool was the "worst decision of my life".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37318761

Haha such a delusional individual. You'd think throwing away all his talent would be his worst decision?

And frankly no doubt the club and fans see Balotelli as the biggest waste of £20mil..

The thing is, I don't think anybody really expected it to go any other way.

I'm glad to have gotten rid of him on a free. Surprised we didn't have to pay Nice to take him off our hands...
Two goals on debut for Balotelli. Hope he turns his career around now tbh.
Original post by Lúcio
The thing is, I don't think anybody really expected it to go any other way.

I'm glad to have gotten rid of him on a free. Surprised we didn't have to pay Nice to take him off our hands...

Well meant Nice didn't have to pay a fee for him either. If they waited for his contract to expire with us, they may have had more competition so it actually worked in everyone's interest.

Original post by Mackay
Two goals on debut for Balotelli. Hope he turns his career around now tbh.

I'm happy for him to fail for his ego tbh.
Well meant Nice didn't have to pay a fee for him either. If they waited for his contract to expire with us, they may have had more competition so it actually worked in everyone's interest.

I'm happy for him to fail for his ego tbh.

We have a 30% sell on clause for him so it'll be nice if Balo does well this season and then someone pays big money for him.

How is everyone feeling about Friday? As it's an away game at Stamford Bridge I'll be happy with a draw, but considering Terry may not be fit in time we have a real opportunity to steal the 3 points.
Original post by The.Joker
We have a 30% sell on clause for him so it'll be nice if Balo does well this season and then someone pays big money for him.

How is everyone feeling about Friday? As it's an away game at Stamford Bridge I'll be happy with a draw, but considering Terry may not be fit in time we have a real opportunity to steal the 3 points.

I've been less than convinced by their performances so far, they haven't dominated any games, all been fairly close.

That said, it's Chelsea and we're Liverpool.

30% might give us enough to buy a Freddo.

Personally, our attack is more fluid but they have Hazard.
Their defence is better than ours but they have David Luiz.
It could go either way but I'd be very happy with a point.

Willian is my main worry because we'll be focusing so much on Hazard that we'll forget just how much of a threat he is on the right. Forget Mahrez, this will be a much bigger test for Milner.
We have offered Lallana a new contract according to Paul Joyce.
Reply 9370
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I've been less than convinced by their performances so far, they haven't dominated any games, all been fairly close.

That said, it's Chelsea and we're Liverpool.

We dominated Swansea and were pretty unlucky to not win the game.
Watford we dominated later on in the match.
West Ham it was 50-50
Burnley we dominated from start to finish...

I see us winning in all honesty.
Original post by Lúcio
Willian is my main worry because we'll be focusing so much on Hazard that we'll forget just how much of a threat he is on the right. Forget Mahrez, this will be a much bigger test for Milner.

More worried about him at set pieces tbh, defence needs to be disciplined.
Reply 9372
He's been pretty average at set pieces. He got lucky last season tbh.
Not sure how we set up vs Chelsea tbh.

I think the best idea is to maintain a high press because Chelsea will struggle to deal with that. As a result, it's whether we want to play Sturridge or Coutinho.

The former hasn't done anything to warrant being dropped but the latter can produce something special. Let's not forget he scored a brace in this fixture last season.

It's a good problem to have but I don't envy Klopp having to make this decision.

I thought we released him on a free? Can you agree a sell on if you've released a player? Or does that count as selling him for £0?

Original post by mr tim
We have offered Lallana a new contract according to Paul Joyce.

Good news but I hope it isn't a ridiculous offer.. he's 28 now so perhaps 3-4 years left? Doesn't rely on pace but does put in a lot of hard yards..

Hard not to feel confident about facing Chelsea since we're scoring loads.
Can returned to training, could play a part v Chelsea.
Firmino gives Klopp the pressing and hard work Sturridge doesnt (at least on the surface, anyway) which means I doubt we'll see the latter at Stamford Bridge, even if he did impress and was selfless against Leicester. It's a nice problem to have, with Origi a battering ram style player for Klopp, but I imagine we'll see Sturridge mainly against the bottom 12 teams, and Firmino used as a false nine against the top six or so - especially away from home.

My preference would be a front three of Firmino, Mane and Lallana personally, with Can coming in to provide some solidity alongside Wijnaldum and Henderson.

Of course, you've got Coutinho to feature too, so it's all a nice problem for Klopp to have - and I imagine he'll have a bit of a headache trying to work out our XI.
Original post by Mackay
Firmino gives Klopp the pressing and hard work Sturridge doesnt (at least on the surface, anyway) which means I doubt we'll see the latter at Stamford Bridge, even if he did impress and was selfless against Leicester. It's a nice problem to have, with Origi a battering ram style player for Klopp, but I imagine we'll see Sturridge mainly against the bottom 12 teams, and Firmino used as a false nine against the top six or so - especially away from home.

My preference would be a front three of Firmino, Mane and Lallana personally, with Can coming in to provide some solidity alongside Wijnaldum and Henderson.

Of course, you've got Coutinho to feature too, so it's all a nice problem for Klopp to have - and I imagine he'll have a bit of a headache trying to work out our XI.

Flip side is that Sturridge probably has the best movement and more likely to help Firmino/Mane to exploit runs to break the lines?

Thought Sturridge did everything right against Leicester other than score.
Flip side is that Sturridge probably has the best movement and more likely to help Firmino/Mane to exploit runs to break the lines?

Thought Sturridge did everything right against Leicester other than score.

Honestly I'd take Sturridge over Coutinho right now. If we recreate anything similar to the Leicester match, Chelsea's defence will be in trouble.

Mané's influence is huge - let's not forget he wasn't involved in the Burnley game (which we lost). As long as he's involved, we should be fine.
Original post by Lúcio
Honestly I'd take Sturridge over Coutinho right now. If we recreate anything similar to the Leicester match, Chelsea's defence will be in trouble.

Mané's influence is huge - let's not forget he wasn't involved in the Burnley game (which we lost). As long as he's involved, we should be fine.

Mane has started great but I don't think he's the only one making us perform. Burley was bad but we conceded the first goal which made their tactic easier/more frustrating.

You look at someone like Henderson who looked poor against Burnley but immense against Leicester - that's not just Mane.

Latest