The Student Room Group

BTEC Extended Diploma in Health & Social Care HELP!!!!

I would like to progress to university to study adult nursing. I originally applied for an Access to Health Studies course but at my interview I was advised that the BTEC extended diploma in health and social care would be better for me.

Previously, I had done a lot of research into the access course but I know next to nothing about the BTEC course.

For instance, the lady at my interview told me it was a 1 year course but from doing some research online I have found out that it is actually 2 years.

I'd really appreciate some advice and information from people who are currently/have done studied this course.
How did you find it?
What did it consist of?
Are there placements? Etc

Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hi I have completed the BTEC so hope I can help a little.It is a two year course comprising of different modules such as safeguarding children and vulnerable adults, health and safety, research, anatomy and physiology, psychology, sociology and many more.You do two placements, both 50 Hours long so you have a total of 100 Hours and do one a year. The settings you do them in vary for example you can be in a care home for one and a learning disability support centre for another. It is mainly coursework based although you may or may not depending on where you study have an exam for anatomy and physiology. The grade marks go distinction, merit, pass. Distinction being the highest grade equivalent to an A. At the end of the course your marks are tallied up to give you an overall mark which can be converted to UCAS points. I found the course more adaptable than alevels as there is no end of year exam pressures and most colleges run the course over 3 days a week so you have time to do placements and coursework and still have weekends free if you use the time wisely.I hope this helps and good luck xx
Reply 2
Hello I am currently on my second year studying the extended diploma btec in health and social care. I have completed around 140 hours of placement in my first year, but this year I am really not enjoying my placement so I just quit going. The specification says that I need to complete 200 hours overall. I was wondering what happens if you stop attending placement? Will I fail the course and have wasted 2 years??.

Thanks
You need to talk to your tutor and find a different placement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending