The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone - I was an external applicant when applying for the 1320 campaign but have since started in an O role. I received my provisional offer today and I guess I'll have to tell my manager tomorrow morning!Well done to everyone that got through and best of luck to those still applying, just don't give up!
Original post by lawgrad13
Hello everyone - I was an external applicant when applying for the 1320 campaign but have since started in an O role. I received my provisional offer today and I guess I'll have to tell my manager tomorrow morning!Well done to everyone that got through and best of luck to those still applying, just don't give up!

Do you not like the O role? What's different with it and this new one ... Apart from the money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 11222333abc
Thanks TraineeAcc. Memoryfish - If you log into your account and click on the application it tells you to click 'Next stage'. You are then required to fill out the references form (even though I did this at interview).
"Please provide details of your current and previous employers or educational tutor whom we may contact for references.
Please also give the name and address of one person to whom you are well known and who has agreed to act as a referee.

You must ensure your references cover the last three years." .... It does say 'whom we can contact' So feel I should inform my boss?? But TraineeAcc, you're saying not to.... Hmmm...

Still fill it in, but for our campaign (Feb) the referees weren't contacted. I don't think TraineeAcc was telling you not to complete it, s/he was trying to reassure you that the referee probably won't be contacted.

I would wait for the formal.....
Original post by Doll Parts
Still fill it in, but for our campaign (Feb) the referees weren't contacted. I don't think TraineeAcc was telling you not to complete it, s/he was trying to reassure you that the referee probably won't be contacted.

Exactly Doll Parts. Fill it all out, but I've never known them to contact them I was told directly by CSR during my checks they would not contact employment references.

Never heard of manpower, haven't a clue what's happening with them
Original post by TraineeAcc
Exactly Doll Parts. Fill it all out, but I've never known them to contact them I was told directly by CSR during my checks they would not contact employment references.

Manpower is the huge recruitment agency, for some reason they've outsourced checks to them this time round so I'm guessing they WILL contact referees to fulfil their part of what must be a fruitful(£) contract.
Reply 1386

It would appear they have been contracted to manage the administrative process for external candidates on the latest campaign 042R, along with conducting pre employment checks. It would seem CSR either can't cope with the workload and are taking too much time, hence they are paying Manpower to help speed things along!
Original post by memoryfish
I would wait for the formal.....

Why would you wait for the formal?
Why would you wait for the formal?

Even though checks should be straight forward because you already work for them, nothing is set in stone. Nobody knows how manpower are going to conduct these checks....could take a while even thought the email says 20 days. I guess it depends on what relationship you have with your manager.
Original post by Jamz115
Do you not like the O role? What's different with it and this new one ... Apart from the money

Posted from TSR Mobile

The HO role requires some additional training and seems a bit more technical, obv the pay rise is an appealing factor! But I applied for this HO role just before I got offered the O role.
The HO role requires some additional training and seems a bit more technical, obv the pay rise is an appealing factor! But I applied for this HO role just before I got offered the O role.

And HO casework offers a far better internal chance at progression towards SO level as your work will be more complex.
And HO casework offers a far better internal chance at progression towards SO level as your work will be more complex.

Yea ... I was always of the view don't walk before you can run. My view will be to progress don't get me wrong BUT il be happy enough as an O learning the ways etc to make sure I master that first as best I can ...but of course everyone is different. You'll know being in NI that even at O level the salary is pretty good for NI.

Posted from TSR Mobile

More technical in what way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
Yea ... I was always of the view don't walk before you can run. My view will be to progress don't get me wrong BUT il be happy enough as an O learning the ways etc to make sure I master that first as best I can ...but of course everyone is different. You'll know being in NI that even at O level the salary is pretty good for NI.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't run before you can walk 😂lol ... I mean

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
More technical in what way

Posted from TSR Mobile

More technical in the aspects of tax you deal with. Although it doesn't always work in practice. I know EO staff doing HO standard work and I know HOs doing G7 work.*
Original post by Mega0448
More technical in the aspects of tax you deal with. Although it doesn't always work in practice. I know EO staff doing HO standard work and I know HOs doing G7 work.*

Yea well I'm going into it open minded in terms of be prepared to deal with any kind of tax simply because it's possible that various kinds of tax invasion could well overlap ie. If a person/business is non-compliant in 1 tax they could also be in another so you could be dealing with different taxes not just the area you are assigned. I may be a bit naive in saying that as in unfamiliar with the way it all works but I'm just guessing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I received an offer for HO too. Congrats to everyone else - well done guys!

Do you think the checks will go smoother since now it's Manpower doing them, not HMRC?

Also, for the people already working at HO, how are you finding it? Is it stressful, what's the work/life balance, what are the long term prospects internally AND EXTERNALLY?
Original post by kimmyknx
I received an offer for HO too. Congrats to everyone else - well done guys!

Do you think the checks will go smoother since now it's Manpower doing them, not HMRC?

Also, for the people already working at HO, how are you finding it? Is it stressful, what's the work/life balance, what are the long term prospects internally AND EXTERNALLY?

If you avoid evening/weekend work and can leave your work at the office ... Then I'd imagine your doing well on that front. I don't know many civil servants who bring their work home ... Let's put it that way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
If you avoid evening/weekend work and can leave your work at the office ... Then I'd imagine your doing well on that front. I don't know many civil servants who bring their work home ... Let's put it that way

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will take this as "the work/life balance is pretty good" then :smile:
Original post by kimmyknx
I will take this as "the work/life balance is pretty good" then :smile:

Well I've a provisional offer too... I'm only guessing ... The whole flexitime thing too... On the whole don't think we can complain

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending