The Student Room Group

Kate Upton "Not standing up to the national anthem is disgraceful"

Besides pumpkin-spiced everything and cooler weather, there's another sign that fall is on the way. Sunday night football is officially back in action. And this week, NFL games happened to coincide with the 15-year anniversary of 9/11. During the Miami Dolphins game, several players chose to kneel during the "Star-Spangled Banner." While this gesture was part of an ongoing protest of the country's current racial injustice and not a statement about the tragedies of Sept. 11 some viewed the timing as offensive. For example, model Kate Upton responded to the National Anthem protests by voicing her disappointment and calling the move a "disgrace." In turn, Upton upset many people who made their feelings known on social media, saying that the 24-year-old was totally missing the point of the protests.

Not only did Upton tweet about the NFL players, but she also further elaborated on Instagram. Here's an excerpt from Upton's Instagram caption:

In my opinion, the national anthem is a symbolic song about our country. It represents honoring the many brave men and women who sacrifice and have sacrificed their lives each and every single day to protect our freedom. Sitting or kneeling down during the national anthem is a disgrace to those people who have served and currently serve our country. Sitting down during the national anthem on September 11th is even more horrific.

She continued the lengthy post by explaining that people can "protest all they want and use social media all they want," but during this song, she expects them to stand and put their hand over their heart. She added, "After the song is over, I would encourage everyone to please use the podium they have, stand up for their beliefs, and make America a better place." However, you could argue that the last part seemingly contradicts itself because for these players, their podium is the football field.

I would 'stand up' to her all day long..
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well personslly would never live in a country that hates me. Rather turn back to Africa. The NFL players demonstrates theyvwould rather have a good standard than to stand to its own principles.

The west is decadent and pervert and is only a matter of time until China or Russia surpass them.
The men and women who fight for their country do so to protect the rights of its citizens; not standing to the national anthem is one of those rights. Personally I agree that its disrespectful but respect their right to protest.
Reply 3
Surely this comes under freedom of speech? Sure it could be arguably seen as offensive to some, but these guys likely feel the treatment of some black Americans is offensive too. It might be a better idea to discuss the issues these people feel they have to raise, rather than attacking a very benign form of protest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
She can think, and say, what she likes thanks to the exact same rules that let him think and say exactly what he likes. Can't have it both ways, love.
Original post by HucktheForde
Besides pumpkin-spiced everything and cooler weather, there's another sign that fall is on the way. Sunday night football is officially back in action. And this week, NFL games happened to coincide with the 15-year anniversary of 9/11. During the Miami Dolphins game, several players chose to kneel during the "Star-Spangled Banner." While this gesture was part of an ongoing protest of the country's current racial injustice and not a statement about the tragedies of Sept. 11 some viewed the timing as offensive. For example, model Kate Upton responded to the National Anthem protests by voicing her disappointment and calling the move a "disgrace." In turn, Upton upset many people who made their feelings known on social media, saying that the 24-year-old was totally missing the point of the protests.

Not only did Upton tweet about the NFL players, but she also further elaborated on Instagram. Here's an excerpt from Upton's Instagram caption:

In my opinion, the national anthem is a symbolic song about our country. It represents honoring the many brave men and women who sacrifice and have sacrificed their lives each and every single day to protect our freedom. Sitting or kneeling down during the national anthem is a disgrace to those people who have served and currently serve our country. Sitting down during the national anthem on September 11th is even more horrific.

She continued the lengthy post by explaining that people can "protest all they want and use social media all they want," but during this song, she expects them to stand and put their hand over their heart. She added, "After the song is over, I would encourage everyone to please use the podium they have, stand up for their beliefs, and make America a better place." However, you could argue that the last part seemingly contradicts itself because for these players, their podium is the football field.

I would 'stand up' to her all day long..

TBH, I don't really give a toss about "the troops". They fight in wars which I rarely support, and if they want to do that, fine, but I only care about them as much as anyone else who I don't know. However, a national anthem doesn't just exist to support the troops. It exists to show solidarity, and I think in the face of the 9/11 attacks, showing solidarity is a respectful and honourable thing to do. It's not supposed to be about you or your own causes. That moment is supposed to be for the people who died, but those who didn't stand completely disrespected those victims by making it about themselves. So props to Kate Upton, I can certainly see where she's coming from.
Original post by Drewski
She can think, and say, what she likes thanks to the exact same rules that let him think and say exactly what he likes. Can't have it both ways, love.

I'm fairly sure she isn't trying to ban people from not being able to stand for the anthem, so I really don't see the point you're trying to make.
Reply 7
Original post by KingBradly
I'm fairly sure she isn't trying to ban people from not being able to stand for the anthem, so I really don't see the point you're trying to make.

The point is she's getting all upset and suggesting he shouldn't do it.

But the same rules that say she's allowed to say that defend his right to say what he's saying.

It's the typical American inability to detect irony.
I would encourage everyone to please use the podium they have

She sure does have a lovely pair of podiums.
Original post by Drewski
The point is she's getting all upset and suggesting he shouldn't do it.

But the same rules that say she's allowed to say that defend his right to say what he's saying.

It's the typical American inability to detect irony.

It's not ironic at all, because she isn't in any sense criticising their right to not stand up. She is simply criticising them not standing up.
Ahh yes, "freedom". America's biggest buzzword.
#triggered

I love how right wing people criticise the left for getting offended too easily and then spend literally weeks crying about people sitting down during the national anthem, pathetic.

In my opinion, the national anthem is a symbolic song about our country.

This is a very new phenomenon. There has been a long tradition of celebrities, sportsmen and women and politicians who don't know the words to our national anthem. But as for a mark of our identity and to the brave soles who lost their lives in numerous pointless battles in our history - are you sure?

"God save our gracious Queen..." So basically, we are singing about a fictitious entity saving a German woman who has been made head of our country simply because of her parents? And we are supposed to be proud of that fact?

There is nothing un-nationalistic about not standing behind our anthem. If anything, those who protest or ignore it are simply exercising their democratic right to do so. If you want to live in a country where everyone stands to the anthem or gets shot for disobedience, go and live in North Korea.
Original post by Prince_fancybum
The men and women who fight for their country do so to protect the rights of its citizens; not standing to the national anthem is one of those rights. Personally I agree that its disrespectful but respect their right to protest.

Pretty much
Getting offended because someone doesn't follow the social norms around a national anthem it's a fine example of the professionally offended culture that is so prevalent.
Original post by ByEeek
This is a very new phenomenon. There has been a long tradition of celebrities, sportsmen and women and politicians who don't know the words to our national anthem. But as for a mark of our identity and to the brave soles who lost their lives in numerous pointless battles in our history - are you sure?

"God save our gracious Queen..." So basically, we are singing about a fictitious entity saving a German woman who has been made head of our country simply because of her parents? And we are supposed to be proud of that fact?

There is nothing un-nationalistic about not standing behind our anthem. If anything, those who protest or ignore it are simply exercising their democratic right to do so. If you want to live in a country where everyone stands to the anthem or gets shot for disobedience, go and live in North Korea.

I feel like having to stand and put your hand over your heart and all this other stuff is some kind of pseudo-fascist's wet dream.

These adults are more than capable of expressing their gratitude and support towards their troops without having to go along with this charade they've been brainwashed with since childhood.
Whining because someone didn't stand to a ****ing song is a whole other level of whininess :s-smilie:
I never stand for the National Anthem.
The only time I put my hand on my heart is when I'm having palpitations. I have a son in the Armed Forces. He goes ballistic at me when I won't stand up.
Reply 19
Original post by Seamus123
The only time I put my hand on my heart is when I'm having palpitations. I have a son in the Armed Forces. He goes ballistic at me when I won't stand up.

I think that's generally just called being a bit of a prat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending