The Student Room Group

Innocent Muslim attacked in NYC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37345442

Police are investigating this as a possible hate crime. Very sad to see this happening, I don't think belief in religion, regardless of how disturbing it may be to someone, warrants an assault in a public street.
This comes shortly after two Muslims were shot dead outside of a mosque in Queens a few weeks ago, and also a string of religious hate crimes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by alevelstresss
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37345442

Police are investigating this as a possible hate crime. Very sad to see this happening, I don't think belief in religion, regardless of how disturbing it may be to someone, warrants an assault in a public street.
This comes shortly after two Muslims were shot dead outside of a mosque in Queens a few weeks ago, and also a string of religious hate crimes.
This man clearly had a backstory of some kind of trauma (perhaps his mother has cancer) therefore, according to your constant argument, it has nothing to do with religion and is understandable, given the context.
And how do you know she was "innocent"? Innocent of what? Everything, or a particular accusation? Perhaps the man had lost his brother to an Islamist attack and viewed any outward expression of Islamism as clear provocation? We have no way of knowing, so your use of the word is not only meaningless but clearly intended to promote your particular apologist agenda/

Also, interesting that you do not post links to articles about hate crimes perpetrated by Muslims on the grounds of religious belief. Why is that?

And just for those who don't read the article, a woman felt something warm on her arm and found a charred patch the size of a 2p piece and saw a man holding a cigarette lighter. I have seen it described elsewhere (inc. the Guardian, quelle surprise!) as "Muslim woman set on fire".
Given the lack of facts (other than a small 2p sized burn mark) funny some are rushing to claim this as a hate crime because of Islamophobia.

I could have post your list of excuses back at you but Q has done a good job of this already.

But have you even been to NYC? do you know how busy the streets actually are (more probable she bumped into a person holding a cigarette didn't notice but when she did turned and 'saw someone with a lighter' and decided to blame them in an act of simple discrimination (guilty while holding lighter))

But if you were concerned about muslims being killed you would have started a thread about the recent terrorist attack in Pakistan where quite a few of them were actually killed
Original post by QE2
felt something warm on her arm and found a charred patch the size of a 2p piece

Used to be common when you could smoke in night clubs
Lmao what an exaggeration OP. The burn was the size of a 2p coin and if it really was that bad she wouldn't have been able to pat it out herself.

But I'm sure the poor guy who did it suffered from loss of a loved one to do something like this.
Reply 5
Not really a big deal. The burn was tiny and the woman suffered no injuries. Plus, there is no evidence that this was an Islamophobic crime.
Someone burnt someone a tiny bit with a lighter in New York. Who cares?

Funny how you care about this but shrug your shoulders at mass rape and terror attacks (as long as Muslims are behind it).
Reply 7
Can you imagine if this was the other way around, the amount of hate the Muslim would have got.

But instead people are quick to defend this man and are making up excuses to defend him.

TSR back at it with the double standards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by HAnwar
Can you imagine if this was the other way around, the amount of hate the Muslim would have got.

But instead people are quick to defend this man and are making up excuses to defend him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well there is no evidence that the attack was Islamophobic. If the victim was not a Muslim it probably would not be on the news.

If it was an Islamophobic attack then obviously the man should be punished for his appalling actions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar
Can you imagine if this was the other way around,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes easily given the myriad of examples we could pick from

But for a start we'd at least wait for the facts before rushing to play the victim card
Reply 10
Original post by Trapz99
Well there is no evidence that the attack was Islamophobic. If the victim was not a Muslim it probably would not be on the news.

If it was an Islamophobic attack then obviously the man should be punished for his appalling actions.

I'm not saying it was or it wasn't.
But it's pretty obvious what the reaction would have been if the person was non Muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
But it's pretty obvious what the reaction would have been if the victim was non Muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, it wouldn't have even made the news in NYC if it was a non-Muslim, so very little reaction indeed.
Original post by HAnwar
But it's pretty obvious what the reaction would have been if the victim was non Muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the victim was Muslim and the attacker was non-Muslim, there would be outrage from the Muslim community. If the victim was non-Muslim and the attacker was Muslim, there would be outrage from the victims' community or from non-Muslims. It is just how it works.
Original post by KingBradly
Well, it wouldn't have even made the news in NYC if it was a non-Muslim, so very little reaction indeed.

How so?
Reply 14
Original post by BaconandSauce
Yes easily given the myriad of examples we could pick from

But for a start we'd at least wait for the facts before rushing to play the victim card

Funny I never seem to see you say 'let's wait for the facts' when there's an attack on a non Muslim by a Muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. The OP is the one who is being singled out as he always asks for evidence for claims made (in this case the article provides no evidence of an attack, or anything other than an accident), always maintains the perpetrators have a history of trauma and no kind of ideological stimulus. He generally leaps in to point out there is no evidence that it was Moslems that perpetrated a crime (and here we have no evidence a crime was perpetrated, nor any of the religion of the possible perpetrator.

It is a classic case of being hoist by one's own petard.

If the woman was, indeed, attacked for being a Moslem then it is a shameful act.
Original post by queen-bee
How so?

People are murdered every day in New York, and even some of them won't make the news. This is some woman getting a burn the size of a 2p coin. The idea that it's being reported internationally is crazy really.
Original post by HAnwar
Funny I never seem to see you say 'let's wait for the facts' when there's an attack on a non Muslim by a Muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

then you've not looked as it what I always say (unless it is directly reported it was Islamic terrorism)
Reply 18
Original post by KingBradly

Yeah I'm sure CNN wouldn't report that at all.

Original post by Trapz99
If the victim was Muslim and the attacker was non-Muslim, there would be outrage from the Muslim community. If the victim was non-Muslim and the attacker was Muslim, there would be outrage from the victims' community or from non-Muslims. It is just how it works.

Not on TSR it isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
Yeah I'm sure CNN wouldn't report that at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See my above comment to queen-bee.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending