The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alow
If you're on iOS I can't recommend Tiny Calendar enough.

Once timetables are live on https://2016-17.timetable.cam.ac.uk/ you can sync everything with a Google calendar and then use Google calendar in a calendar app.

Thanks, will give it a go rn and see how it feels, looks good!
When your boss thinks doing quadratic equations is good prep for Cambridge...
Original post by Zacken
Thanks, will give it a go rn and see how it feels, looks good!

My daughter used a really old fashioned simple whiteboard like this and markers. :tongue:
Divided it to seven sections, each of a day of week, plus a large section on the right for 'what to do' list to make sure things that's need to be done get done.
She even used it when she was doing a master, so obviously she was happy with how it worked at Cambridge.
Original post by vincrows
My daughter used a really old fashioned simple whiteboard like this and markers. :tongue:
Divided it to seven sections, each of a day of week, plus a large section on the right for 'what to do' list to make sure things that's need to be done get done.
She even used it when she was doing a master, so obviously she was happy with how it worked at Cambridge.

Yeah, that'd probably work, but my general writing/design is really bad (mathmo here) so it'd just end up being an eyesore. :tongue:
Reply 1444
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, that'd probably work, but my general writing/design is really bad (mathmo here) so it'd just end up being an eyesore. :tongue:

I have a little white board as a To Do List, but half the time I can barely read it.
Original post by Zacken

Surely you can read your own writing.....:tongue:
I think she tried google Callander or that sort first, but in the end I think she found old fashioned style of just write it down/erasing and having the board right in front of you on the desk easier and more effective.
But that's probably up,to personal preference, I suppose. :smile:
Surely you can read your own writing.....:tongue:
I think she tried google Callander or that sort first, but in the end I think she found old fashioned style of just write it down/erasing and having the board right in front of you on the desk easier and more effective.
But that's probably up,to personal preference, I suppose. :smile:

Yeah, was watching the Jake Wright video 'bout organisation and he prints out a timetable at the end of every week and then scribbles on it and keeps it in his pocket bc he preferred the old fashioned way, might have to go with that if I find myself still being useless with the digital stuff :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, was watching the Jake Wright video 'bout organisation and he prints out a timetable at the end of every week and then scribbles on it and keeps it in his pocket bc he preferred the old fashioned way, might have to go with that if I find myself still being useless with the digital stuff :smile:

That's sounds like a good idea, too.
Is it a timetable for lectures/supervisions?
My daughter needed a relatively large space to write down as she was doing two club/society and had 'official' positions in both.
And she found digital stuff too fiddly when you have to write/amend/re-write very often.
That's sounds like a good idea, too.
Is it a timetable for lectures/supervisions?
My daughter needed a relatively large space to write down as she was doing two club/society and had 'official' positions in both.
And she found digital stuff too fiddly when you have to write/amend/re-write very often.

Nah, just a general life planner - "meeting on the 23rd", "pick up this on the xth" etc... as well as lectures/supervisions
Original post by Zacken
Nah, just a general life planner - "meeting on the 23rd", "pick up this on the xth" etc... as well as lectures/supervisions

It's definitely more portable than a whiteboard. :tongue:

Does he have his own printer in his room? Or does his college not charge for printing?
(edited 7 years ago)
So far, I've kept checklists on Google Keep lol

I like just ordering things and then ticking off as they go along :dontknow:
What's the consensus on bikes? I have a decent bike at home but think that for convenience it's better for me to hire a bike. If this is the better option, where's the best bike hire shop?
Original post by highestmountain
What's the consensus on bikes? I have a decent bike at home but think that for convenience it's better for me to hire a bike. If this is the better option, where's the best bike hire shop?

If you're not taking your own bike, better option is to buy a second hand one in Cambridge. Hiring for the length of time you're there will be very expensive.

Edit:
This is the major bike hire company in Cambridge. The price is not aimed at someone who live in Cambridge for 3/4 yrs.
http://www.citycyclehire.com/prices-4/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by highestmountain

Don't hire - it will work out v expensive AND if it's nicked it's still your responsibility.

Just get either a cheap new one, or a cheap 2nd hand one... cheap being the key thing no matter where you get it from. :smile:

Much as I dislike Halfords even they have bikes from £90
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Don't hire - it will work out v expensive AND if it's nicked it's still your responsibility.

Just get either a cheap new one, or a cheap 2nd hand one...

Much as I dislike Halfords they have bikes from £90
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes

All bike shops in Cambridge sell new and second-hand bikes of various kinds and prices (....and quality :tongue:) because many students sell their bike when leaving Cambridge.
. Easier logistic option. . :wink:

Also, I've heard the local police sell Bikes they confisticsted from arrested bike thieves that they couldn't find th owners of in their auction, too.
(edited 7 years ago)
All bike shops in Cambridge sell new and second-hand bikes of various kinds and prices (....and quality :tongue:) because many students sell their bike when leaving Cambridge.
. Easier logistic option. . :wink:

Also, I've heard the local police sell Bikes they confisticsted from arrested bike thieves that they couldn't find th owners of in their auction, too.

Indeed. And there's a Halfords in Cambridge too.
Forgot to say......

Best to check if your college allows you to leave your bike during holidays, as many don't.
Really inconvenient and troublesome it may seem, there're reasons why hardly any undergrads hire a bike and a large number of students transport their bike to/from college/home 3 times a year........
Welcome to Cambridge. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Indeed. And there's a Halfords in Cambridge too.

That's true but that's out of town. And there's no guarantee what sort of second-hand ones they have in stock.
Seriously, if you want second-hand bike in Cambridge, bike shops (I think there're at least 4 of them) in town are the best place to go. They have lots of them at the beginning of academic year because that's where graduates go to sell theirs.
(edited 7 years ago)
That's true but that's out of town. And there's no guarantee what sort of second-hand ones they have in stock.
Seriously, if you want second-hand bike in Cambridge, bike shops (I think there're at least 4 of them) in town are the best place to go. They have lots of them at the beginning of academic year because that's where graduates go to sell theirs.

New for £90. I doubt Halfords sell 2nd hand bikes.
Original post by jneill
New for £90. I doubt Halfords sell 2nd hand bikes.

Well, I definitely do not recommend riding s very expensive bike in Cambridge because of theft problem, but I also do not recommend buying the cheapest bike with inferior quality, either.
It really gets used a lot every day between all sorts of places, often several times a day, you need reasonably sturdy one. With a bike, you really get what you paid for. You may end up in paying a lot for repair (which is expensive and a waste of your precious time) or even may have to buy a new one. You won't save money by buying a cheapest bike.

Edit:
And remember, you can sell it, if you like, when you leave Cambridge. Better quality one gives you more money back. Same as cars. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending