The Student Room Group

Any mature students on here who have gone back to study A-levels??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Philip-flop
Wow that's so good!! Well done for staying motivated to study/learn even at your age! You're so inspirational!! :smile:

Yeah I think Biology is very visual when it comes to learning concepts tbh! That's what I need to do more of, diagrams/pictures!! Also I need to repeat what I've learnt as I'm learning new material, not just learn all the material then revise otherwise I will forget the content :frown:

Thanks for the tips. I hope I can use these revision techniques to my advantage!!

Well you can use the bottom part to include other topics that you want to cover too.

I found that I didn't work well with revision timetables. I can plan my entire week down to the nearest 5 mins, but if I'm not in the right mood I will just waste time I could have been doing something more fun and then been more productive later.
So I now make my revision planner as a weekly list of topics, so I can have a productive day and cover loads, and have a day off, and just do what I feel like. Helped loads! Which is where the planner came in quite handy.

I wish j could have got a tutor that could have helped me get all this sorted from the start, not having to take two years to develop it for myself haha
Reply 121
Oh wow, so you're hoping to do AS and A2 Maths as well as AS Further Maths in one year? That would be amazing if you manage to pull it off! Best of luck!! :smile:

Hey Yeah thanks !!! :smile: . I think its possible. I did do AS level maths back in 2010 though and managed to get C1 - A, C2 - A and M1 - B. I think doing them as a mature student really enables you to envision it as a step towards achieving something rather than a burden (the latter of which my 20 year old self certainly felt lol). I have enrolled in a FE college for a few of the units. C3, C4, M2, S1 will be taught at the college. where as C1, C2, M1, FP1 and D1 will be self taught.

Btw if anyone wants to know more about foundation courses and the way universities deal with those, my 5 years of research might prove useful (yeah thats how long it took to make that choice lol
Original post by Inexorably
What are we classing as ''mature'' ? :colondollar:

I returned to do them last September aged 19 (currently 20) and won't finish them until I'm 21 :tongue:

I think the official classification of mature student at university is 21 and over 🙈
Original post by NanEco
Hey Yeah thanks !!! :smile: . I think its possible. I did do AS level maths back in 2010 though and managed to get C1 - A, C2 - A and M1 - B. I think doing them as a mature student really enables you to envision it as a step towards achieving something rather than a burden (the latter of which my 20 year old self certainly felt lol). I have enrolled in a FE college for a few of the units. C3, C4, M2, S1 will be taught at the college. where as C1, C2, M1, FP1 and D1 will be self taught.

Btw if anyone wants to know more about foundation courses and the way universities deal with those, my 5 years of research might prove useful (yeah thats how long it took to make that choice lol

Awesome!! I'm doing A2 Maths this year so it would be great if we could keep in touch and maybe send each other pm's from time to time to see how we're getting on :smile: Will you be doing Edexcel's spec?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 124
Awesome!! I'm doing A2 Maths this year so it would be great if we could keep in touch and maybe send each other pm's from time to time to see how we're getting on :smile: Will you be doing Edexcel's spec?

Oh yeah certainly !!! which units you doing? Im doing AQA. Btw which university and courses are you applying to?
Original post by Cowie315
I think the official classification of mature student at university is 21 and over 🙈

I will be 21 when I start uni gah, old :frown:
Original post by NanEco
Oh yeah certainly !!! which units you doing? Im doing AQA. Btw which university and courses are you applying to?

That's great. I will be doing C3, C4, and S1. But am doing A2 Biology as well :afraid::afraid:

As for University. I haven't quite decided yet. Might apply the next academic year tbh. What about you?

21 isn't old! you will only be 24 when you finish (if you're doing a 3 year course).
Reply 127
That's great. I will be doing C3, C4, and S1. But am doing A2 Biology as well :afraid::afraid:

As for University. I haven't quite decided yet. Might apply the next academic year tbh. What about you?

Philip I am sure you are very capable of achieving good grades in Maths and Biology :smile: Im also doing C3 , C4 and S1 among many others haha. As for university, My heart is pretty much set on Cambridge. I'm applying for Land Economy. Alternatively I am looking at LSE Economics too. I think I'll only be applying for those two as I already have a deferred place at Durham for Economics. What course were you hoping to do? Maths and Biology is very specific haha
[QUOTE="NanEco;67568226"]

Philip I am sure you are very capable of achieving good grades in Maths and Biology :smile: Im also doing C3 , C4 and S1 among many others haha. As for university, My heart is pretty much set on Cambridge. I'm applying for Land Economy. Alternatively I am looking at LSE Economics too. I think I'll only be applying for those two as I already have a deferred place at Durham for Economics. What course were you hoping to do? Maths and Biology is very specific haha

Ah nice one. I'm sure you can achieve your goal :smile:

I'm not completely sure what course just yet, maybe something health care related. I will wait and find out what grades I get first then decide from there.

I'm going to be 27 starting vet school 😂
I'm going to be 27 starting vet school 😂

You have such a motivating success story!! :smile:

How did you decide that you wanted to go to University to study Veterinary Medicine?
Just want to build a community of mature students who are studying A-levels. Anyone?

State your age, what you were doing previously, and what A-levels you are studying :smile:

Im considering redoing a level chemistry, maths with stats and doing human bio, as well as maybe business as an as level. im 25 years old (feels weird considering I was the youngest in my year) and am currently a pharmacist . and yes, i am considering studying medicine, which is why I am considering redoing a level (which imo is harder than a 4 year degree / a professional registration exam which you need a minimum of 70% overall just to pass)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by quasa
Im considering redoing a level chemistry, maths with stats and doing human bio, as well as maybe business as an as level. im 25 years old (feels weird considering I was the youngest in my year) and am currently a pharmacist . and yes, i am considering studying medicine, which is why I am considering redoing a level (which imo is harder than a 4 year degree / a professional registration exam which you need a minimum of 70% overall just to pass)

Oh wow, that's amazing. Clearly you have already proven you're academically clever having become a Pharmacist!! What makes you want to study medicine?

Is it true that A-levels are harder than a degree? I've never studied at University before :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
You have such a motivating success story!! :smile:

How did you decide that you wanted to go to University to study Veterinary Medicine?

Thank you, there have been times were I've found it ridiculously hard. Not knowing if I would manage it. Having no success stories to give me hope either. No one in my position or background who had got in. With everyone saying how impossible it was.
Plus knowing I won't have a salary again until I'm 32 😭

It was always what I wanted to do, my education took a slightly odd direction. Whilst I was working in Fashion in London after being offered a job during my degree I realised it was the wrong place for me. I went out for lunch with my mum and voiced my concerns. Her only question to me was " if you were lying in hospital, dying, would never trying be something you would regret about your life?"
To which I answered yes, so we agreed to try.

It's been hard for both of us, she has had family and friends make a lot of judgements and being very funny with her for helping me to do this and for supporting me. Especially considering the odds were not in my favour. They thought it was mad.

Now that I have a place for next year, I still feel like an imposter though. Like, any minute, Surrey are going to ring me and say that they have made a huge mistake and didn't mean to give me an offer 😂
- even my college thought this was going to be impossible. Careers advisers kept recommending I did vet nursing instead. Or do an access course. I am glad however that I fought to do the alevels and not an access. It puts me on a much more level playing field with the other students.

I think it still hasn't sunk in. It all happened very fast. I now have a year to try and keep my brain working ( it's taken 3 years to wake it up again)
Thank you, there have been times were I've found it ridiculously hard. Not knowing if I would manage it. Having no success stories to give me hope either. No one in my position or background who had got in. With everyone saying how impossible it was.
Plus knowing I won't have a salary again until I'm 32 😭

It was always what I wanted to do, my education took a slightly odd direction. Whilst I was working in Fashion in London after being offered a job during my degree I realised it was the wrong place for me. I went out for lunch with my mum and voiced my concerns. Her only question to me was " if you were lying in hospital, dying, would never trying be something you would regret about your life?"
To which I answered yes, so we agreed to try.

It's been hard for both of us, she has had family and friends make a lot of judgements and being very funny with her for helping me to do this and for supporting me. Especially considering the odds were not in my favour. They thought it was mad.

Now that I have a place for next year, I still feel like an imposter though. Like, any minute, Surrey are going to ring me and say that they have made a huge mistake and didn't mean to give me an offer 😂
- even my college thought this was going to be impossible. Careers advisers kept recommending I did vet nursing instead. Or do an access course. I am glad however that I fought to do the alevels and not an access. It puts me on a much more level playing field with the other students.

I think it still hasn't sunk in. It all happened very fast. I now have a year to try and keep my brain working ( it's taken 3 years to wake it up again)

Yeah I know what you mean about people making their judgements about you! People have been frowning upon me saying that I'm ridiculous for wanting to study A-levels and that I should just "get on with my life". I feel like I'm trapped in a career I'm not suited for :frown: I'd rather end up upset knowing that I tried, than upset not knowing what I could have achieved.

This year is going to be the hardest year of my life! Balancing a job whilst doing A2 is really going to test me!

Original post by NanEco
Oh wow, so you're hoping to do AS and A2 Maths as well as AS Further Maths in one year? That would be amazing if you manage to pull it off! Best of luck!! :smile:

Do you fancy doing a skype group for mature students or those who are self-teaching, so we can help each other along? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh wow, that's amazing. Clearly you have already proven you're academically clever having become a Pharmacist!! What makes you want to study medicine?

Is it true that A-levels are harder than a degree? I've never studied at University before :colondollar:

thanks. tbh anyone can be a pharmacist I guess (I only had BCC at A levels and U at AS psychology - dont ask how

Spoiler

Medicine is something I wanted to do originally as I geninely enjoy helping people out and being able to apply my knowledge to help people out but due to my a levels I wasnt able to (

Spoiler

).

regarding A levels vs degree: I found uni better because I had to actually learn non-outdated things using up to date revision material and lecturers who actually cared about students (1st term exams at uni I averaged 91%, whereas AS levels 1st term I averaged ~60%)

A levels, when I did it, I was heavily penalised for not doing things the way the exam board wanted me to answer (best example is A level maths with stats: I got copies of the papers- which are now sadly binned- and I got virtually all answers correct but because I used my own shortened equations (and not the ones they wanted me to use) I kept losing marks (similar story with a level chemistry but right equations, wrong exaplantions).

Spoiler

Original post by brainzistheword
Do you fancy doing a skype group for mature students or those who are self-teaching, so we can help each other along? :smile:

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. We could have like a Maths conference like once every couple of weeks over Skype and teach each other things we don't understand.

Original post by quasa
thanks. tbh anyone can be a pharmacist I guess (I only had BCC at A levels and U at AS psychology - dont ask how

Spoiler

Medicine is something I wanted to do originally as I geninely enjoy helping people out and being able to apply my knowledge to help people out but due to my a levels I wasnt able to (

Spoiler

).

regarding A levels vs degree: I found uni better because I had to actually learn non-outdated things using up to date revision material and lecturers who actually cared about students (1st term exams at uni I averaged 91%, whereas AS levels 1st term I averaged ~60%)

A levels, when I did it, I was heavily penalised for not doing things the way the exam board wanted me to answer (best example is A level maths with stats: I got copies of the papers- which are now sadly binned- and I got virtually all answers correct but because I used my own shortened equations (and not the ones they wanted me to use) I kept losing marks (similar story with a level chemistry but right equations, wrong exaplantions).

Spoiler

I say you should definitely go for it then! If you feel you can improve your grades then it's likely that you will!! Will you be working full time whilst studying?
That doesn't sound like a bad idea. We could have like a Maths conference like once every couple of weeks over Skype and teach each other things we don't understand.

I say you should definitely go for it then! If you feel you can improve your grades then it's likely that you will!! Will you be working full time whilst studying?

im currently locumming as it is so i have free time. only thing is that there are no local colleges which helpmature students with a levels
Yeah I know what you mean about people making their judgements about you! People have been frowning upon me saying that I'm ridiculous for wanting to study A-levels and that I should just "get on with my life". I feel like I'm trapped in a career I'm not suited for :frown: I'd rather end up upset knowing that I tried, than upset not knowing what I could have achieved.

This year is going to be the hardest year of my life! Balancing a job whilst doing A2 is really going to test me!

Many man people change careers these days, or even have two or three changes. We live so long, it's a long life to be stuck in a career you aren't suited for, and it's too short of a life to spend the majority of it miserable.

I ended up in fashion, and got pigeon holed as being stupid, not smart enough for science. When I told people what I planned to do lots of people laughed at me, told me to just get on with it, if I had already chosen my choice and to just suck it up.
Nothing worse than feeling stuck, which is how I felt.
At least with a good set of alevels you will be on a better less restricted position than before.

Can you not get a local authority funding if you are full time studying? Or are you part time?

Is there no way you could manage without a job for this year? Or minimal hours? - I would hate for you to get to the end and wish you had had more time to focus and revise. I don't think I could have managed a job as well as all the alevels. Although I did a lot. In three years I did, GCSEs maths A* GCSE single science A* AS physics C ( physics killed me) and then I have three A grades in biology chemistry and geology as full alevels. No way I could have worked with that, although I wish I could have! I miss having money 😭 - I have to find a way to pay for my first two years of vet school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending