The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

transgenderism is real....it's not made up.

The human brain is malleable. and most trans people post-transition are happier. Not everybody is, so what? Which medical process is perfect? to say it's bogus belies what proven psychology and psychiatry say is real.

Scroll to see replies

Trans-genderism or trans-sexualism?

Because one's someone going under the knife, the other's Dave in drag.

I've always thought that trans-sexuality is a perfectly legit thing (dysphoria innit), but trans-genderism? Maybe I'm not up to date on what's what, but isn't that just wanting to be the opposite sex without wanting to actually be the opposite sex? The short and curlies of it being a simple rejection of gender constructs.

Does being a man and enjoying cooking in place of watching the football really need a label? Or are people really that unable to simply be themselves without needing a special label?

I've over-simplified this to hell, obviously. so please do correct me where I'm wrong.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Trans-genderism or trans-sexualism?

Because one's someone going under the knife, the other's Dave in drag.

I've always thought that trans-sexuality is a perfectly legit thing (dysphoria innit), but trans-genderism? Maybe I'm not up to date on what's what, but isn't that just wanting to be the opposite sex without wanting to actually be the opposite sex? The short and curlies of it being a simple rejection of gender constructs.

Does being a man and enjoying cooking in place of watching the football really need a label? Or are people really that unable to simply be themselves without needing a special label?

I've over-simplified this to hell, obviously. so please do correct me where I'm wrong.

Yes you've over simplified it, arguably to the point where you have completely lost any meaning and just made yourself look like an arse,
Original post by zippyRN
Yes you've over simplified it, arguably to the point where you have completely lost any meaning and just made yourself look like an arse,

Cool ad-hom bro, tell it again!

So if you're happy to leave me in my ignorance and go about your day, by all means do so.

Or, and here's a novel thought, you could enlighten me.
The 23rd paid of chromosomes are (usually) expressed as XY or XX, which dictate the gender of someone either being male, or female. Transgenders are still male or female on the inside, as they have would have either a male/female biochemistry with regards to hormones eg. testosterone, growth hormone etc.

There cases where someone literally is born as a boy and girl, which is real transgenderism. Having surgery doesn't make you what gender you want to be on the inside, as your body systems essentially disagree with it.
Cool ad-hom bro, tell it again!

So if you're happy to leave me in my ignorance and go about your day, by all means do so.

Or, and here's a novel thought, you could enlighten me.

It's quite clear that you have a fixed hetero, binary and cisgender normative world view and have framed your reference to transgender issues with the use of slur words throughout your original post ...
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
The 23rd paid of chromosomes are (usually) expressed as XY or XX, which dictate the gender of someone either being male, or female. Transgenders are still male or female on the inside, as they have would have either a male/female biochemistry with regards to hormones eg. testosterone, growth hormone etc.

There cases where someone literally is born as a boy and girl, which is real transgenderism. Having surgery doesn't make you what gender you want to be on the inside, as your body systems essentially disagree with it.

please come back when you understand the difference between sex and gender .
Original post by zippyRN
It's quite clear that you have a fixed hetero, binary and cisgender normative world view and have framed your reference to transgender issues with the use of slur words throughout your original post ...

I refer the honourable gentleman/woman to Post #4, Paragraph 3, RE: "enlighten me".
I refer the honourable gentleman/woman to Post #4, Paragraph 3, RE: "enlighten me".

Your use of slur words indicates your bigoted agenda . consequently i do not have the time or inclination to get involved in trying 'inform' someone who considers the use of slur words and transphobic attitudes to be normal.
for those who are genuinely ignorant ( rather than feigning ignorance while espousing transphobic attitudes and using slur words )

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Transhealth/Pages/Transhealthhome.aspx

to avoid the use of slur words when writing about trans topics ...

http://www.gires.org.uk/terminology
Original post by zippyRN
Your use of slur words indicates your bigoted agenda . consequently i do not have the time or inclination to get involved in trying 'inform' someone who considers the use of slur words and transphobic attitudes to be normal.

Having re-read through my post several times, unless you're so feebly-minded that you get triggered merely by the mention of "gender", the only "slur" I can find is "drag", and even that's highly debatable (I wouldn't have thought that the various cross-dressing/drag communities across the world would take kindly to your insinuation that what they get up to is any less important than what other people get up to).
Reply 11
Correct.
Having re-read through my post several times, unless you're so feebly-minded that you get triggered merely by the mention of "gender", the only "slur" I can find is "drag", and even that's highly debatable (I wouldn't have thought that the various cross-dressing/drag communities across the world would take kindly to your insinuation that what they get up to is any less important than what other people get up to).

oh dear ...

carry on demonstrating your transphobic attitudes and confusion of fetishistic cross dressing with being trans ...
Original post by zippyRN

Honestly, your attitude is the most hateful on this thread. Your insistence that anything that doesn't fit within your world view is "transphobic", especially when you're discussing with someone who has clearly and repeatedly said they wish to be educated is doing far more harm than you think.

By shutting down the conversation and leveling accusations of hatred against someone who doesn't necessarily share your exact world view you are creating more division and resentment that need not be there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a cisgender female I generally don't go around accusing people who identify as anything different as having something wrong with them or having a mental illness or it not being "real". I have never understood why people are so aggressive about it.

I don't understand what it could feel like to not be cisgender, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I've always been a bit of a tomboy, mostly throughout my youth, and don't act as feminine as considered traditional BUT I'm still happy identifying as the sex I was assigned at birth.
It's not hard to see how that is different to actually being transgender.

The example of a man liking cooking is a ridiculous example. You're assuming cooking is a feminine activity, you're assuming that cisgender men can't like it without supposedly being unhappy with their birth sex, you're assuming that people who are transgender are just people who don't like things that are stereoptical about their birth sex.

Sex and gender are different. Being transgender is not up for others to decide whether it's real or not - it just is. People don't make this stuff up.

However, I do agree that we should be educating people who don't understand instead of shutting them down :smile:
Original post by zippyRN
oh dear ...

carry on demonstrating your transphobic attitudes and confusion of fetishistic cross dressing with being trans ...

Holy ****ing ****, trying to get any sense out of you is like trying to draw blood from a stone.

I may be ignorant, but I'm no bigot. With that in mind, does it really surprise you that Tumblrites like you are the reason that people remain ignorant given that all you've given me, in direct reply so far, is the equivalent of "hetero-normative cis-scum"?

I mean really, if you were really that interested in alleviating my ignorance, you could've simply said "trans-sexualism is generally post-op, trans-genderism is the mental and physical struggle pre-op/during the transition stage". Such information would've actually been helpful.

See, I genuinely didn't know there was that much of a difference (I thought it was just another vague term that's been added to the ever-growing list of labels that the LBGT community describes themselves as) but as you've been about as helpful as a brick to the face during this discussion, I've been forced to do my own research.

By the way, cross-dressing isn't just used for sexual purposes :fyi:
I don't know where you got the idea from that I thought fetishism was the sole reason for dressing up in clothes typically not worn by any given gender.
Original post by PandaCalavera

The example of a man liking cooking is a ridiculous example. You're assuming cooking is a feminine activity,

I'm assuming you're levelling that at moi? Traditionally, cooking has been the womans' perogative. It's not belief I share, believe me (I do more cooking than my girlfriend does and I have no problem with that. It was an extreme example, granted).

My actual point, albeit poorly made, was that there's an absurd amount of terms out there these days that cover just about everything under the sun and more besides, and that because of that there's definitely a large amount of overlap/grey area concerning the definitions of these terms.

You can go back through posts I've made on other threads if you have the time/inclination to do so, and you'll release that there are few people on here who feel as strongly about the rejection of social constructs regarding personal identity as I do.
I'm assuming you're levelling that at moi? Traditionally, cooking has been the womans' perogative. It's not belief I share, believe me (I do more cooking than my girlfriend does and I have no problem with that. It was an extreme example, granted).

My actual point, albeit poorly made, was that there's an absurd amount of terms out there these days that cover just about everything under the sun and more besides, and that because of that there's definitely a large amount of overlap/grey area concerning the definitions of these terms.

You can go back through posts I've made on other threads if you have the time/inclination to do so, and you'll release that there are few people on here who feel as strongly about the rejection of social constructs regarding personal identity as I do.

I was indeed! I realise you probably took the extreme/simplified approach with that example. I can't cook for **** and my boyfriend does it all as well haha.

I'm on my phone right now but I most likely will take a gander later as it's a subject I'm interested in. I hope I didn't come across as too harsh in my initial post, I think you understand what I mean regarding the example and you don't hold those bigoted views yourself clearly.

I can understand there might be some overlap with people taking terms that don't really apply to them and taking away from their meaning. And so it becomes more difficult for others to take them as seriously as they should. I hope I'm not missing your point :P
Original post by zippyRN
please come back when you understand the difference between sex and gender .

Oh please. Bruce Jenner claims he's a female and a woman, yet he's blatantly a man. You go and call a transgender a male/female in reference to their sex and they'll lose their ****. They can pretend to be the opposite gender, but their body, besides their brain, will always say no. Can't disagree with scientific fact.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Oh please. Bruce Jenner claims he's a female and a woman, yet he's blatantly a man. You go and call a transgender a male/female in reference to their sex and they'll lose their ****. They can pretend to be the opposite gender, but their body, besides their brain, will always say no. Can't disagree with scientific fact.

I strongly suggest that familiarise yourself with the accepted and evidence based position of the scentific community ( WPATH and GIRES in particular) with regard to this matter.

I also suggest that you inform yourself on the correct use of terminology in this area of science / clinical paractice

http://www.gires.org.uk/assets/Research-Assets/TERMINOLOGY%202015%20April.pdf

Latest

Trending

Trending