The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Mane has started great but I don't think he's the only one making us perform. Burley was bad but we conceded the first goal which made their tactic easier/more frustrating.

You look at someone like Henderson who looked poor against Burnley but immense against Leicester - that's not just Mane.

No of course not, it's a cohesive team and I feel like if you thrash the champions 4-1, why change anything?

Obviously playing Chelsea is different and a significantly bigger test, but none of the players deserve to be dropped.
Flip side is that Sturridge probably has the best movement and more likely to help Firmino/Mane to exploit runs to break the lines?

Thought Sturridge did everything right against Leicester other than score.

Yeah, I said after Leicester that Sturridge had done enough to start at Stamford Bridge. Thing is, I don't know how Coutinho has looked on the training pitch this week. If he has been inspired, Klopp may want to shoehorn him in at Chelsea (after all, he spearheaded our victory there last season and was man of the match), or he may want to use a 4-3-3 with with Can/Wijnaldum/Henderson as a bit of added security, with a front three of Firmino and Mane (who are both nailed on) and then Lallana or Coutinho (likely the former, given his work rate, distance he covers etc.)

I'd personally be looking to deploy Coutinho as deep as possible this season. It would eradicate the potshots from range, hopefully, and it means we can get Firmino/Mane/Lallana on the pitch at the same time.
Original post by Lúcio
No of course not, it's a cohesive team and I feel like if you thrash the champions 4-1, why change anything?

Obviously playing Chelsea is different and a significantly bigger test, but none of the players deserve to be dropped.

Looks like there will always be 2 players left out of the starting XI from the starting positions - it's a good position to be in. Tbh so long as you are winning, players complain less..

Original post by Mackay
Yeah, I said after Leicester that Sturridge had done enough to start at Stamford Bridge. Thing is, I don't know how Coutinho has looked on the training pitch this week. If he has been inspired, Klopp may want to shoehorn him in at Chelsea (after all, he spearheaded our victory there last season and was man of the match), or he may want to use a 4-3-3 with with Can/Wijnaldum/Henderson as a bit of added security, with a front three of Firmino and Mane (who are both nailed on) and then Lallana or Coutinho (likely the former, given his work rate, distance he covers etc.)

I'd personally be looking to deploy Coutinho as deep as possible this season. It would eradicate the potshots from range, hopefully, and it means we can get Firmino/Mane/Lallana on the pitch at the same time.

Klopp doesn't seem to believe in having the handbreak on. I think most likely we'll see Sturridge dropped for Coutinho just so we have the hardwork and press from the top.

The run of games at the start of this season have been very tough.. I think we'll see a lot of more of Sturridge later on when we play fewer top sides..

Klopp doesn't seem to believe in having the handbreak on. I think most likely we'll see Sturridge dropped for Coutinho just so we have the hardwork and press from the top.

The run of games at the start of this season have been very tough.. I think we'll see a lot of more of Sturridge later on when we play fewer top sides..

Fully agree. Just because Sturridge doesn't start at Tottenham or Arsenal, doesn't mean for one minute Klopp doesn't fancy him. Klopp knows he\'s the best striker/finisher he's got, so I think it's natural we see Sturridge start at every home match (maybe not against the top four), and probably 10/19 away games.
Original post by Mackay
Fully agree. Just because Sturridge doesn't start at Tottenham or Arsenal, doesn't mean for one minute Klopp doesn't fancy him. Klopp knows he\'s the best striker/finisher he's got, so I think it's natural we see Sturridge start at every home match (maybe not against the top four), and probably 10/19 away games.

At some point we'll get an injury or two in the attacking positions and then we'll be happy with the depth :biggrin:
At some point we'll get an injury or two in the attacking positions and then we'll be happy with the depth :biggrin:

Oh, I'm delighted with the depth. Hopefully we see Origi perform to the level he did last season at some stage, too.
Original post by Mackay
Oh, I'm delighted with the depth. Hopefully we see Origi perform to the level he did last season at some stage, too.

It's tough since we're likely to have less injuries and fatigue this season so less rotation? Leicester showed that consistency in selection can go a long way..

How do people feel about a Friday night kick-off? Obviously better than a Monday night kick-off but also feels weird..
It's tough since we're likely to have less injuries and fatigue this season so less rotation? Leicester showed that consistency in selection can go a long way..

How do people feel about a Friday night kick-off? Obviously better than a Monday night kick-off but also feels weird..

Good to get the game out of the way so I can relax better on the weekend.

We need to keep our CB's fit though, they seem to be made out of weetabix...
(edited 7 years ago)
Lovren fit v Chelsea. Can and Sakho need to train more, both won't feature v Chelsea
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mr tim
Lovren fit v Chelsea. Can and Sakho need to train more, both won't feature v Chelsea

Can't see Lucas keeping his place after giving away the goal and Lovren has been in decent form - Costa won't be easy to deal with.

Any news on Karius? He can't be too far away now..
Can't see Lucas keeping his place after giving away the goal and Lovren has been in decent form - Costa won't be easy to deal with.

Any news on Karius? He can't be too far away now..

Karius was on the bench in the Leicester game but I can't imagine Klopp starting him in a big game like this especially coming back from injury and missing half of the preseason.
Original post by samir12
Karius was on the bench in the Leicester game but I can't imagine Klopp starting him in a big game like this especially coming back from injury and missing half of the preseason.

Yea I suppose that makes sense. I expect we'll see him in goal against Derby on Tuesday then and potentially again the following weekend against Hull?
Firmino has travelled to London, but unlikely to start with a minor injury.
Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Matip, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Coutinho, Mane, Sturridge

Subs: Karius, Lucas, Stewart, Origi, Moreno, Grujic, Ejaria

No Firmino at all.
Original post by mr tim
Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Matip, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Coutinho, Mane, Sturridge

Subs: Karius, Lucas, Stewart, Origi, Moreno, Grujic, Ejaria

No Firmino at all.

Not injured, just unwell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PetrosAC
Not injured, just unwell

Posted from TSR Mobile

Roberto Firmino misses out for #LFC tonight due to a minor groin strain #CFCvLFC

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/776843132390535168
Lets smash these rent boys !

Posted from TSR Mobile
This will be a huge test.

Kante bloody terrifies me and Chelsea will be so strong from set pieces.
We can certainly score a goal but it would be a massive job to get a win here.

Very happy with a point if we can get one tonight.

I stand corrected :tongue: My sources have let me down xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
This will be a huge test.

Kante bloody terrifies me and Chelsea will be so strong from set pieces.
We can certainly score a goal but it would be a massive job to get a win here.

Very happy with a point if we can get one tonight.

You do well in the big games and Chelsea have a poor record against you at the Bridge.

A high scoring draw, on paper at least, seems nailed on. Just hope it's an entertaining game!

Latest