The Student Room Group

Should I do A level maths with a low A at gcse?

I got into a level maths because I passed the entrance exam but should I do it if I only got a low A at gcse? Will I struggle too much?
Reply 1
I'm not entirely sure, still studying for my gcse's. I think it depends on what other subjects your taking for A-level.
Reply 2
Original post by valdokarina
I got into a level maths because I passed the entrance exam but should I do it if I only got a low A at gcse? Will I struggle too much?

No, as long as you put in the effort from the get-go you will be fine.
Use as many resources as possible, youtube videos cover everything and beyond.

Personally I received a very low GCSE grade (scraping pass) and managed to get on to the A-level course, finished with an 'A' despite leaving revision to the last minute.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3

If you like the subject yes. You don't need A* to do Maths A-level. As long as you practice often, then you'll get a good grade (I barely scraped a B at GCSE, yet I went on to do A-level Maths and Further Maths and managed to get As in all pure modules through hard work).

All you need is the motivation to practice constantly and not give up when facing a difficult problem :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by kkboyk
If you like the subject yes. You don't need A* to do Maths A-level. As long as you practice often, then you'll get a good grade (I barely scraped a B at GCSE, yet I went on to do A-level Maths and Further Maths and managed to get As in all pure modules through hard work).

All you need is the motivation to practice constantly and not give up when facing a difficult problem :tongue:

I see thank you, but did you revise for your gcse's or not because I worked hars but barely managed to get an A
Reply 5
I see thank you, but did you revise for your gcse's or not because I worked hars but barely managed to get an A

Sort of (had to teach myself majority of the stuff, since I was put in the lowest set in which everyone was doing foundation paper).

What you should focus is how you revised for GCSE, and correct the mistakes you did there. With A-levels it's literally all about practice, and as long as you revise efficiently (that is, not making loads of notes, but practicing constantly, seeing examples and asking for help when needed) you will do far better than you did at GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest