The Student Room Group

I actually will die if I don't do this

Bit of an exaggeration but I have coursework and don't know how to start my essay any advice would be great.
The question is Michael Rosen, the children’s laureate, said: “Carol Ann is an easy target (for critics) because she’s a modern poet.” Discuss in what ways Duffy could be seen to deserve a place in the literary canon.
also any ideas for structure I need to do it tonight.
How many words (minimum) does it have to be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MagnumPhoenix
How many words (minimum) does it have to be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1250 is the minimum
any helps
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
1250 is the minimum

Okay so structure - 20% of the word count for intro and conclusion.

Intro: 250 words
Body: 750 words
Conclusion: 250 words

Okay so as for your essay question, I read it as "Duffy is an easy target for criticism because she's new/modern. How can we prove she deserves her recognition?"

You could start with a quote from one of Duffy's pieces you like and explain why. Talk about the content of that quote, and the emotions it makes you feel. Note her awards, if any. Link your quote to one of her most well known pieces and quote the positive things critics said about her. Consider whether her gender has something to do with her criticisms. Compare her to other, similar, well known writers.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also consider the historic context the piece was written in. Lecturers/teachers seem to lap that up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
Bit of an exaggeration but I have coursework and don't know how to start my essay any advice would be great.
The question is Michael Rosen, the children’s laureate, said: “Carol Ann is an easy target (for critics) because she’s a modern poet.” Discuss in what ways Duffy could be seen to deserve a place in the literary canon.
also any ideas for structure I need to do it tonight.
'I actually will die if I don't do this'

Bit of an exaggeration? No, it's an absolute hyperbole.

Do your own ****ing coursework.
Original post by Tootles
'I actually will die if I don't do this'

Bit of an exaggeration? No, it's an absolute hyperbole.

Do your own ****ing coursework.

I'm not asking people to do my coursework? I'm asking for help which is what this site is for. Also you don't know the circumstances as to why I haven't done the coursework, so do me a favour and don't comment unless you can help?
Original post by MagnumPhoenix
Okay so structure - 20% of the word count for intro and conclusion.

Intro: 250 words
Body: 750 words
Conclusion: 250 words

Okay so as for your essay question, I read it as "Duffy is an easy target for criticism because she's new/modern. How can we prove she deserves her recognition?"

You could start with a quote from one of Duffy's pieces you like and explain why. Talk about the content of that quote, and the emotions it makes you feel. Note her awards, if any. Link your quote to one of her most well known pieces and quote the positive things critics said about her. Consider whether her gender has something to do with her criticisms. Compare her to other, similar, well known writers.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you it has helped me a lot:smile:!!! Really appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest