The Student Room Group

Is it beautiful to be poor?

Scroll to see replies

No. Perhaps choosing that lifestyle when you can afford better might be something admirable; but being forced to live that way is not.*
Original post by Atreus

I'm not getting exercised, I simply look down on anyone who's happy to sit around their house doing nothing at all by choice, people died for that right. That's my opinion, it must take a seriously level of laziness to not want to do anything useful with ones life.

Anything useful like what? You don't know what she spends her time doing and you don't know what the alternatives are.
Original post by Atreus
Work for a charity, teach part time, write for a paper, work in a community centre part time. Anything remotely useful. Of course I totally understand if she'd rather just sit on her behind all day, each to their own.

I'm not getting exercised, I simply look down on anyone who's happy to sit around their house doing nothing at all by choice, people died for that right. That's my opinion, it must take a seriously level of laziness to not want to do anything useful with ones life.

I could point out issues of why those stuff wouldn't work for her but frankly I cant be bothered.

We all have our own definitions of what would make ones life 'useful'

Out of curiosity what career do you want to go into?
Original post by DraculaMihawk
Am I the only nerd on here who doesn't want to be an investment banker/lawyer and obtain a high salary? I quite like being poor and ordinary. There's a romance to it I think and it's sort of rock n roll as well. Anyone feel the same?
I'd rather live my life. Life's for living, not for filling a bank account you'll never take with you. That said, one lesson I've learned the hard way so far is that the only way to be cocomfortable, financially, is to have more money than you need.

As for myself, I'm pretty much who I want to be right now, and I'm doing what I want to be doing - ie writing fantasy novels and getting paid for it. Yes, it'd be nice to have people after film rights/whatever, but I just like telling stories, really.
Reply 84
Original post by Ginertain
I could point out issues of why those stuff wouldn't work for her but frankly I cant be bothered.

We all have our own definitions of what would make ones life 'useful'

Out of curiosity what career do you want to go into?

Just saying, the kind of mentality you guys are supporting is the very same as people who claim benefits all their life, it's a waste of human life.

I'm in my third year of law, however, if I had enough capital to not have to work i'd do charity work for the rest of my life.

No one with a remotely quality character or essence, will be happy doing nothing with their time.

Would you date someone who was unemployed ?
Original post by Atreus
Just saying, the kind of mentality you guys are supporting is the very same as people who claim benefits all their life, it's a waste of human life.

I'm in my third year of law, however, if I had enough capital to not have to work i'd do charity work for the rest of my life.

No one with a remotely quality character or essence, will be happy doing nothing with their time.

Waste of a human life is a bit far to go. But ok then. Like I said it's a decision both my parents are happy with.

Best of luck with law :smile:

Yeah I wouldn't mind dating someone who was unemployed.
Being poor, as in not having much money, is obviously bad.Being "poor", as in not buying expensive **** for no reason, is the reason most people are not poor.
Nah. Money can really buy happiness. Might not be able to make you 100% happy but can get you a good deal of the way there.
yeah mate, cheese and onion crisp sandwiches are so romantic
Original post by Jizzy Jihad
No, it's retarded that we romanticise failure.
your name reminded me of this [video="youtube;3bKus8KtA9c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bKus8KtA9c[/video]
Reply 90
whats your definition of poor? are you talking abject poverty or just having enough to live on?

because having enough to live on is not 'poor' in my eyes, its called being 'balanced'

and i agree, being balanced is beautiful

i wouldn't like to be too rich and i wouldn't like to be too poor either

having enough to pay my bills and keep a roof over my head and have some left over to save for a rainy day or a holiday is enough for me.

its beautiful to struggle a little and always make it at the end.

and if you go from a rags to riches, that is beautiful too

but being truly poor... no that is not remotely beautiful. starving children in Africa is not beautiful, homeless people who are ignored and walked over is not beautiful. its not beautiful when you are too poor you can't feed yourself or a family member and subsequently have to watch them die in front of your eyes.
Reply 91
Original post by Atreus

This whole argument is so silly. Are you trolling?

It may be a waste of human life to slave away in an office all day long too. Everyone is free to decide how to spend their life and judge by themselves if it was wasted or not.

It's full of rich people who don't work and probably contribute more than you to society, with their taxes and spending.

Running a house and a family and raising children are useful activities. And one doesn't sit all day doing nothing, they may have hobbies or do sports and other things they enjoy more than working.

Btw housekeeping requires time and may be viewed as some sort of work, since there are people who are actually employed to do that.

Yes, it wouldn't be a problem for me to date an unemployed heiress.

Original post by Princepieman
looooool no.

I've had basically no money in my account for the past 2 months, haven't even been able to leave this stupid suburb for at least one night out in the city. Meanwhile on Facebook, my old private school friends are jetsetting to different locales, enjoying nice food, going out.. The people with jobs are enjoying themselves on holiday.

There is nothing romantic or beautiful about having no money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go to a bank and show them how competent you are in applying to ibanking, I'm sure you'll get a loan easily!
Maybe there is an upside, doesn't it make it easier to force yourself to spend Saturday evenings preparing applications?
Only people who will never have to worry about money will ever think being poor is "beautiful", it's such an insult to those who genuinely DO have financial difficulties. It's similar to how mental illnesses are romanticised by people who have never experienced the sheer exhaustion and hell that accompanies any disorder.

Quick Reply

Latest