The Student Room Group

Parked cars on dual carriageway

Hi, near my test centre there is a dual carriageway with cars parked along most of the left hand side-my instructor told me to not go into the right lane but keep in the middle, meaning no cars from behind can overtake me (even thought i'm doing the speed limit!), but if someone is up my backside I usually pull in and slow down when there is a gap and let them overtake.

Today however when out with my mum, I pulled in to let a car overtake as they were getting extremely close to me, and of course every car in the right lane overtook me and I was stuck as no one would let me back out!

What would be best to do in this situation? Stay in the middle unless there are only one or two cars behind me to overtake me?

Also, what of no one will let me out to overtake a cyclist (that also happened today on the same dual carriageway)

Thanks!
if it is not safe to overtake then do not overtake, even if it means your journey takes 5 minutes longer.
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
if it is not safe to overtake then do not overtake, even if it means your journey takes 5 minutes longer.

I'm overtaking anyone I mean people overtaking me
Original post by Glitter12
Hi, near my test centre there is a dual carriageway with cars parked along most of the left hand side-my instructor told me to not go into the right lane but keep in the middle, meaning no cars from behind can overtake me (even thought i'm doing the speed limit!), but if someone is up my backside I usually pull in and slow down when there is a gap and let them overtake.
It seems pretty simple tbh, do as you instructor tells you. Your aim is to pass your test, not to ensure the general population have a nice day, and you do that by doing as you are told. From your post no one has told your to pull in and let people past, just do stay in the middle if there is one or 50. If you need to get passed a cyclist, you your usual lane change to the overtaking lane, then assume your original road position in the middle.

Stay in the middle if your instructor says and if there is a queue behind you, don't worry. If you are doing the speed limit they have no good reason to need to pass you anyway. If they want to get up close behind you, don't be intimidated just keep going. How long can these people seriously be waiting behind you, 5 mins? They will get over having to wait.

When you are learning your aim is to pass your test, and that means doing to some dumb things that no one actually does. The alternative is being a great driver with no license.
Reply 4
If your lane is blocked, move into the right hand lane. Continue in that lane until the left hand lane is no longer blocked and move back. Make sure you keep to the speed limit, don't get intimidated by other drivers being on your rear bumper. Don't stay in the right hand lane if the left hand lane is free, the right hand lane is for overtaking. Use your judgement, you should be able to tell where you need to be.

Definitely do not drive in the middle across two lanes, other road users won't have a clue what you are doing. Don't pull back into the left hand lane if 100 yards up the road it is blocked again forcing you to stop.

An examiner wants to see that you are confident on the road, and that you are spatially aware, and can plan your way through obstacles smoothly. They don't want to see you getting stuck somewhere because you were unsure if you were allowed to use a lane.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending