The Student Room Group

There is no evidence for God

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
Are you claiming that Noah removed the animals' teeth so that he could cram more of them into his boat?

I'm claiming that his interpretation of "all species" is in congruence with his knowledge of the scale of the Earth at that time.
Original post by Mistletoe
I'm claiming that his interpretation of "all species" is in congruence with his knowledge of the scale of the Earth at that time.

And there was me thinking he was merely repeating the nonsense the Bible tells us. Are you claiming Earth was somehow larger or smaller in those days?
And there was me thinking he was merely repeating the nonsense the Bible tells us. Are you claiming Earth was somehow larger or smaller in those days?

I'm claiming that he had a very limited knowledge of the true scale of the earth but probably a vast knowledge of the various species of his locality.
I'm claiming that he had a very limited knowledge of the true scale of the earth but probably a vast knowledge of the various species of his locality.

Well, I don't know about you but I'd expect an omnipotent god (especially an aggressive, and vengeful one like yours), when telling someone to take two of every kind of animal, to mean two of every kind of animal, and that the transport manager would be expected to research how many animals (and of what type) that meant.
Well, I don't know about you but I'd expect an omnipotent god (especially an aggressive, and vengeful one like yours), when telling someone to take two of every kind of animal, to mean two of every kind of animal, and that the transport manager would be expected to research how many animals (and of what type) that meant.

If we're going to be technically pedantic then I can contradict the entire notion of collecting every animal. Bacteria from the deep caverns of the other side of the world would be very difficult to collect. Where exactly do you expect your pedantry to take you?
Where exactly do you expect your pedantry to take you?

Well, at least as far as pointing out that bacteria are not animals, obviously.
Well, at least as far as pointing out that bacteria are not animals, obviously.

Can't work out if you're literate or a wiki-scholar.
Can't work out if you're literate or a wiki-scholar.

I can assure you I am fully literate, cognitively able, with a wide general knowledge. It must come from not filling my brain with superstitious nonsense.
Is there any evidence god doesn't exist. The answer is no so you cant rule out the existence of god.
Original post by Onde
Yes. An omnipresent, omnipotent being has never been detected at any point in the universe. An omnibenevolent being also does not exist.

When considering a hypothesis, it must be based on observation. God as a so-called supernatural being cannot be observed, and therefore it can absolutely be concluded that "God" does not exist.

So is it safe to assume that everything beyond the observable universe simply does not exist?!
Original post by Onde
No. As far as anybody knows, there could be other universes. (I used "observation"/observable etc. in the scientific sense btw).

There are always limits to the extent at which we observe the universe. Nothing can be ruled out of existence without any proof. There may be things that we cannot observe such as beyond the observable universe and undiscovered subatomic particle ect. This does NOT mean they do not exist. They simply have not been discovered yet. There used to be a time when people thought the smallest particles that could exist was an atom even though we now that matter was always made up electrons, protons, neutron and even smaller particles such as neutrinos. quarks and photons. Just because you are unable to prove somethings existence does not mean it does not exist and never will.
Original post by Onde
observable ‎(plural observables)

(physics) Any physical property that can be observed and measured directly and not derived from other properties.

I did not say that things that WE are not able to observe do not exist. I only said that things that are incapable of being observed do not exist. The supernatural has no measurable effect on reality, because anything that happens is necessarily a natural phenomenon. I do not have to be omnipotent to know that things that cannot be observed don't actually exist.

What was there before the universe? You could never answer this as there is no possible observable factors of what happened before the universe. So why do scientist continue coming up with theories of what happened before the big bang if they "know" it doesnt exist, as you say
Religious perspective here.

There is no concrete evidence, and believe or not, most religious people know this. As others have said, there no concrete proof on a lots of things, yet we accept it as true and even fact. If you have ever studied science to a high enough level, you'd know that it takes just one test conclusion to disprove a theory. We don't have one definite piece of evidence to disprove the 'theory' that there is a divine being.

But all I've written is from a logical standpoint. Religion isn't supposed to be logical, its us connecting with something beyond ourselves. And I this that's why you asked this question, because you believe religion is logical. And as long as you believe that, you trying to argue the lack of existence
of a divine being, is pointless. Religion cannot be argued with logic, because like I said, its illogical.

And you ask why we believe. Well while I can't speak for everybody else, I can speak for myself. I believe in God because it provides me a sense of peace to know that I'm connected to someone beyond me, who is always with me so I'm never alone.
Original post by Onde
If time is only a property of this universe, then nothing existed before this universe.

Similarly, if the universe always existed, then there was no "before".

Scientists base theories on what is possible within a closed-loop system. It has not yet been determined if there was anything before the universe, so it is still perfectly possible within our understanding that Reality predated this universe and/or that we are part of a wider multiverse. As long as this is a possibility, scientists will continue to be interested in the nature of the early universe and whether there was anything preceding it.

According to your logic if something is unable to be observed it doesn't exist. So multiverses doesn't exist and nothing existed before the universe and god does not exist as they are unable to be observed. I have revision to do so say something that is worthwhile and meaningful as I may not reply.
I can assure you I am fully literate, cognitively able, with a wide general knowledge. It must come from not filling my brain with superstitious nonsense.

Do you accept that consciousness is as much as an illusion as God, created by cooperating colonies of microorganisms to prolong their existence?
Do you accept that consciousness is as much as an illusion as God, created by cooperating colonies of microorganisms to prolong their existence?

You are saying that gods are an illusion?
Original post by TheAdviser
According to your logic if something is unable to be observed it doesn't exist. So multiverses doesn't exist and nothing existed before the universe and god does not exist as they are unable to be observed. I have revision to do so say something that is worthwhile and meaningful as I may not reply.

That is not what his logic implies.
Reply 737
Original post by Mahree_Ah
Religious perspective here.

There is no concrete evidence, and believe or not, most religious people know this. As others have said, there no concrete proof on a lots of things, yet we accept it as true and even fact. If you have ever studied science to a high enough level, you'd know that it takes just one test conclusion to disprove a theory. We don't have one definite piece of evidence to disprove the 'theory' that there is a divine being.

But all I've written is from a logical standpoint. Religion isn't supposed to be logical, its us connecting with something beyond ourselves. And I this that's why you asked this question, because you believe religion is logical. And as long as you believe that, you trying to argue the lack of existence
of a divine being, is pointless. Religion cannot be argued with logic, because like I said, its illogical.

And you ask why we believe. Well while I can't speak for everybody else, I can speak for myself. I believe in God because it provides me a sense of peace to know that I'm connected to someone beyond me, who is always with me so I'm never alone.

This is definitely not the Christian/biblical position, so please do not speak for all those who believe in God. Indeed we CAN use logic to substantiate our claims. No we don't think it's a good idea to believe things simply in order to feel peace. Jesus claimed to be THE truth. He claimed all other paths lead to genuine DESTRUCTION.

In other words, we should all care about truth, not self-deception.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 738

The bible doesn't say all species. It says "all kinds" of animal. Species is a modern term with a definition that we still debate. Do research on these things. You can't act as though the writer of Genesis was mistaken, because then the entire bible falls apart. Jesus' view of scripture is that it's not just from man, but that it is the "God-breathed" word of God, spoken to us.

You need to go and Google the "inerrancy of scripture" and why that's important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pride
The bible doesn't say all species. It says "all kinds" of animal. Species is a modern term with a definition that we still debate. Do research on these things. You can't act as though the writer of Genesis was mistaken, because then the entire bible falls apart. Jesus' view of scripture is that it's not just from man, but that it is the "God-breathed" word of God, spoken to us.

You need to go and Google the "inerrancy of scripture" and why that's important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't care what other people believe about the Bible. I have my own beliefs. I believe that it was "God-breathed", but also that it was written by men who are flawed, as we all are, in a time where scientific knowledge wasn't what it is now. I don't read the Bible for scientific knowledge though...nobody does, it's a classic atheist strawman to find scientific untruths in the Bible. Nobody cares. The Bible is about the development of Judeo-Christian ethics.
You are saying that gods are an illusion?

It's an illusion as much as consciousness is an illusion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending