The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

i dislike middle class people

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
So true, so true. :smug:

It's the way we shop, dress and talk, don't you know.

it is all about the deferred gratification *

:h:
Wow OP way to be classist, triggered
Original post by CashCrazed
Interesting views here.

Would people here consider a welder making £40k working class or middle class?

How about a Cambridge grad making £20k as a teacher?

If you would consider the former as working class and the latter as middle class, who do you think can afford a better standard of living?

I think people are confounding working class people and simply poor people.

The welder is working class (probably) and the teacher middle class (almost certainly).

The distinguishing factors are mainly education, but also current job - welding is a blue collar job, teaching a white collar job. That said, some teachers consider themselves working class, but probably not those who are Cambridge graduates. Oxbridge people are kind of automatically middle class, or at least, perceived that way by many. (Some would say they are automatically upper-middle class.)

One of the interesting things about class now is that the public discourse around class has tended to 'push down' the value of the working class (quite wrongly) and this has encouraged more working class people to claim middle class-ness. Surveys show (for example) people like taxi drivers, manicurists, bus drivers, even plumbers, identifying more as 'middle class'. This kind of socio-economic confusion is an outcome that right wing governments and their allies in the media have engineered to ensure more people vote for them.
Original post by the bear
it is all about the deferred gratification *

:h:

Yes! :five: So for example, this morning I thought it would be nice to have new curtains. I will wait a year before browsing them on the John Lewis website.
Yes! :five: So for example, this morning I thought it would be nice to have new curtains. I will wait a year before browsing them on the John Lewis website.

it's curtains for Fullofsurprises :teehee: *
it's curtains for Fullofsurprises :teehee: *

Ones with flowers. :love:
Ones with flowers. :love:

bear™ recommends Arts & Crafts for Madame...

Original post by looloo2134
Reason Why
1) their amoral e.g smoking weed at university

What's amoral about that?

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
(edited 7 years ago)
Disparities in living standards are entirely inborn and have strong genetic components. Any other discourse is rabid emotive guff.
Original post by ZakatSawmSalat
Disparities in living standards are entirely inborn and have strong genetic components. Any other discourse is rabid emotive guff.

They really aren't and they really don't. And it really isn't.
bear™ recommends Arts & Crafts for Madame...

Nice, but I did say 'curtains' and not 'shower rail curtain'.

The V & A does some lovely stuff.

I am really enjoying this very middle class thread. :excited:
Nice, but I did say 'curtains' and not 'shower rail curtain'.

The V & A does some lovely stuff.

I am really enjoying this very middle class thread. :excited:

you could just put these up on your windows instead :dontknow: *
Original post by BIGJohnson777
OK.
That was very well put and I can't find enough arrogance in myself to disagree with it (and I have plenty).

Thanks - genuinely. I think avoiding arguing for pride's sake is a mark of a good person. :smile:

Oh really?

Could you elaborate on those 'strong genetic components'?*
Original post by *pitseleh*
Oh really?

Could you elaborate on those 'strong genetic components'?*

The elite worldwide are taller, more stereotypically aryan, have a more developed pre-frontal cortex/lobes, are more facially symmetrical, have a better resistance to disease, higher working memory capacity etc..

Perhaps if not a eugenics programme, then at the very least encouraging working class people to break free of their tendency towards inbred copulations and look more outward might be a start.
you could just put these up on your windows instead :dontknow: *

Puh-lease. I am middle class.
Original post by G.name
Well they have had it handed to them. I don't take that back. The children have done nothing to get that quality of schooling. That's a fact. If you're offended, don't direct your aggression at me; send it towards the state of our society, that there should exist opportunities to get differential education.

Many children from the STATE school I went to were middle class. Then they proceeded to carry on with A levels still in state schools. In the end everyone takes student finance to help afford university. How is education handed to middle class children more than it is to working class? The education is free in this country, some simply don't take advantage of that fact.
(edited 7 years ago)
The elite worldwide are taller, more stereotypically aryan, have a more developed pre-frontal cortex/lobes, are more facially symmetrical, have a better resistance to disease, higher working memory capacity etc..

Perhaps if not a eugenics programme, then at the very least encouraging working class people to break free of their tendency towards inbred copulations and look more outward might be a start.

Have anything remotely credible to back any of those assertions up?

Your understanding of cause and effect also appears to be way off.*
Original post by *pitseleh*
Have anything remotely credible to back any of those assertions up?

Your understanding of cause and effect also appears to be way off.*

Im sure there are no end of scientific journals online that link biology, iq and wealth; in fact its not even controversial, more or less accepted fact.
Im sure there are no end of scientific journals online that link biology, iq and wealth; in fact its not even controversial, more or less accepted fact.

That in no way cuts the mustard. Burden of proof, etc etc. No-one in the scientific world gets to spout off about something, then claim it's 'more or less accepted fact' without actually providing any evidence - why should you be any different?

Latest

Trending

Trending