The Student Room Group

Medicine and number of subjects

If I were to apply to a university with 3 A levels, would I be at a disadvantage compared to those who apply with 4, despite the offer being AAA?

Edit: The fourth subject is further maths
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SGHD26716
If I were to apply to a university with 3 A levels, would I be at a disadvantage compared to those who apply with 4, despite the offer being AAA?

Simple answer, not at all
Grade requirements for most uni courses tend to be one grade or so higher for 3 subjects compared to 4. If the offer is AAA for both those who have taken 3 and those who have taken 4 A levels then as long as you meet the requirement you will be looked upon equally. You are much better off concentrating on 3 subjects with the limited time that we have left- i have had relatives who did 4 a levels and they found the workload to be almost unbearable.

Hope that helps!

Sam

P.s i am applying for medicine as well :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by cathasatail
Simple answer, not at all
Grade requirements for most uni courses tend to be one grade or so higher for 3 subjects compared to 4. If the offer is AAA for both those who have taken 3 and those who have taken 4 A levels then as long as you meet the requirement you will be looked upon equally. You are much better off concentrating on 3 subjects with the limited time that we have left- i have had relatives who did 4 a levels and they found the workload to be almost unbearable.

Hope that helps!

Sam

P.s i am applying for medicine as well :smile:

Thanks. Are you dropping anything?
Most oxford students only did 3 https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Some med schools do not count further maths in any offers - I'm unclear on whether you do know that or not.
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
Most oxford students only did 3 https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Some med schools do not count further maths in any offers - I'm unclear on whether you do know that or not.

Thanks. I did know that.
Reply 5
You wouldn't be at a disadvantage.

And anyway, most uni's don't consider Further Maths to be an additional A-level anyway.
Original post by SGHD26716
Thanks. Are you dropping anything?

Yeah i have already dropped physics, carrying on with bio, chem and history

Quick Reply

Latest