The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Themightylaa
Action potential was one of them that it's simple but only once you figure it out. Otherwise it looks awful.

But literally all the topics we are told come up the most in GAMSAT: not one of them came up. pKa, pKb, stereoisomers, rate law, Ksp, ****ing 0 questions. 4 essays instead of 5 and no authors included for any. Feel like they changed a lot this year. Not too happy overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of them were quite like the action potential question in my opinion!

Didn't think the essays were too bad to be honest, although the Task A quotes were quite ambiguously linked.

That was my main question actually, the science questions were literally nothing like the practice papers; is that the case every year (those who've sat it before)? It feels like no revision beforehand whatsoever would have been useful, except the obvious stuff like nomenclature. What a weird exam, not sure at all what to make of it.
I thought originally it was 70 Section 1 questions in 100 minutes as well? Rather than the 75 that they put through today.. also for the wavelengrh question in the end I just effectively went straight up from Q, R, etc
Reply 642
Action potential was one of them that it's simple but only once you figure it out. Otherwise it looks awful.

But literally all the topics we are told come up the most in GAMSAT: not one of them came up. pKa, pKb, stereoisomers, rate law, Ksp, ****ing 0 questions. 4 essays instead of 5 and no authors included for any. Feel like they changed a lot this year. Not too happy overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How was your S1? I think its horrible!!!!!! I'm really afraid that I won't get 50.....

For S3 i think it's quite manageable. It's much easier than the practice paper, I'm pretty sure I score more than 80 percent on this one. But if I fail S1 or S2, then Im still screw.....
Original post by Zak1995
A lot of them were quite like the action potential question in my opinion!

Didn't think the essays were too bad to be honest, although the Task A quotes were quite ambiguously linked.

That was my main question actually, the science questions were literally nothing like the practice papers; is that the case every year (those who've sat it before)? It feels like no revision beforehand whatsoever would have been useful, except the obvious stuff like nomenclature. What a weird exam, not sure at all what to make of it.

Agreed, all the graph questions were manageable if you just stopped for 30 seconds and really took it in.

But absolutely 100% agree with your comment that S3 was massively different from all of the prep material, including official Acer, Gold Standard etc. Can't be a coincidence surely... It definitely felt like they were trying to mix things up. Having 4 quotes instead of 5, however subtle a change that maybe, makes it seem quite likely to me.

Original post by ddll87
How was your S1? I think its horrible!!!!!! I'm really afraid that I won't get 50.....

For S3 i think it's quite manageable. It's much easier than the practice paper, I'm pretty sure I score more than 80 percent on this one. But if I fail S1 or S2, then Im still screw.....

Didn't find S1 too bad, though it wasn't the easiest either. Definitely different to you with S3 though I'm no way near as confident, I'd roughly estimate at about 65-70% possibly... This year though that could correlate to any kind of GAMSAT. I was happy with my S2, for B I know nearly everyone would have talked about medicine but I'm ex army so talked about that. Bit of uniqueness to hopefully help me. And A was fine, no problems. 2.5 pages for each. So with an ok S1 and a good S2 I'm hoping my S3 will not be the worst 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Agreed, all the graph questions were manageable if you just stopped for 30 seconds and really took it in.

But absolutely 100% agree with your comment that S3 was massively different from all of the prep material, including official Acer, Gold Standard etc. Can't be a coincidence surely... It definitely felt like they were trying to mix things up. Having 4 quotes instead of 5, however subtle a change that maybe, makes it seem quite likely to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, this reminds me; after the March GAMSAT, I was part of a facebook group, and everyone who sat that GAMSAT said pretty much the same things as we're saying, so it could be potentially something they've changed this year :frown:

Anyways, we're all in the same boat, so don't worry about it, at least it's over!!
Reply 645

Didn't find S1 too bad, though it wasn't the easiest either. Definitely different to you with S3 though I'm no way near as confident, I'd roughly estimate at about 65-70% possibly... This year though that could correlate to any kind of GAMSAT. I was happy with my S2, for B I know nearly everyone would have talked about medicine but I'm ex army so talked about that. Bit of uniqueness to hopefully help me. And A was fine, no problems. 2.5 pages for each. So with an ok S1 and a good S2 I'm hoping my S3 will not be the worst 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish my first language is English..... So many words I don't know in the passage, and I didn't have time to check the dictionary! Guessed for 3-4 questions as well...... I hope I can just score 50, and then it will be fine.....
Nobody can know how we did, or what the cut offs will be this year. Let's all enjoy a well earned break now whilst the two month wait begins :smile:

Quite note as well not to mention any questions in particular detail (feel like we may already have gone too far talking about the AP one...). Don't want to get in trouble now. Though talking about what DIDN'T come up is surely not breaking any rules. Anyway, well done everyone. Simply finishing the damn thing feels like an achievement in itself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't finish section 2 essay A. Didn't even write my antithesis just quickly skipped to the conclusion 😭😭😭 I don't know what to do but can't be put through that again
Original post by chemmedicine
I didn't finish section 2 essay A. Didn't even write my antithesis just quickly skipped to the conclusion 😭😭😭 I don't know what to do but can't be put through that again

By any chance were you in Liverpool?

Posted from TSR Mobile
By any chance were you in Liverpool?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No not from Liverpool. Why?
Reply 650
The mad dash for the toilet at the start of s2 was pretty comical in Liverpool, the guy was livid 😁
Original post by Jack7_
The mad dash for the toilet at the start of s2 was pretty comical in Liverpool, the guy was livid 😁

Hahah agreed, he wasn't happy at all. Especially as people took that as a 'screw it' sign and started just getting up to go right before we were about to start. "Just get back in your seats!" Between that and the whole 'pen/pencil' issue with the covers of S2 (who honesty gives a ****?) he had a bad day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Damn sorry to hear it was so different from practise. But remember everyone is in the same boat so not to worry about it too much! Relax over the next 2 months and get your ucas applications perfected :smile:
Is there a mark scheme for section 2? I really want to to know atleast what I might get😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was furious about this. Compared to the March exam, this one was so much more heavy with organic chemistry and the biology didn't really require much knowledge.

Original post by saward1988
Section 1 was tougher than the mocks I thought. It was really quite manageable in the mocks.

The essay section was quite interesting compared to previous years.

Section 3 really was hard, but I was expecting that being an arts grad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a Law grad and I really struggled with Section 1. I've just never been good at reading and verbal reasoning.

Section 2 was pretty fun. It was meh in March and the mock questions aren't exactly fun either. I basically spent much of Part A moaning about the Tories though so I'm hoping the marker isn't a Conservative voter.

Original post by sarankw
Was it just me, or was Section 3 really different?

The 25-30 % of the paper that always always comes up didn't! Like the genetics questions, the electricity questions, stereochemistry, and about a million other things.

Plus those essay topics were pretty tricky to get passionate about. Was hoping for a real issue with some complexity not just "oh times sure are changing".

Kind of get the feeling they are gearing the paper more toward science grads as opposed arts grads, which maybe isn't a bad thing? Seems like the nature of the exam changed.

Oh well, there is always March!

I found it hard but less science-y if that makes sense. I was uber prepared for acids/bases and reaction rates and stuff.

Original post by chemmedicine

I changed my essay style this time round. Part A was much more in keeping with my background and sounded like the mock court cases we used to write arguments for.

Part B, I was literally smiling and all optimistic through it haha.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I was furious about this. Compared to the March exam, this one was so much more heavy with organic chemistry and the biology didn't really require much knowledge.

I'm a Law grad and I really struggled with Section 1. I've just never been good at reading and verbal reasoning.

Section 2 was pretty fun. It was meh in March and the mock questions aren't exactly fun either. I basically spent much of Part A moaning about the Tories though so I'm hoping the marker isn't a Conservative voter.

I found it hard but less science-y if that makes sense. I was uber prepared for acids/bases and reaction rates and stuff.

I changed my essay style this time round. Part A was much more in keeping with my background and sounded like the mock court cases we used to write arguments for.

Part B, I was literally smiling and all optimistic through it haha.

I was pretty annoyed about S3 too - so many things that I revised didn't come up - there didn't seem to be many (any?) quick couple of marks questions. My tactic of going through all the bio first shot me in the foot cos I spent too long really making sure I understood what they were asking, and ended up only getting through about half of them chemistry questions. I think I guessed around 30 questions :bawling:

S1 was fine for me, there were a couple of tricky questions but nothing too bad. S2 I actually enjoyed cos I thought Task A was perfect - had read something interesting in the morning and got lots of it in! Task B was a bit odd but I went down the optimistic route too :smile:

It's over now at least!
Yes frustrating Re topics that were common in ACER materials and literally absent in the exam. Find it completely impossible to know where I stand with that whole exam reflecting on it this morning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In March there was barely any organic and this time too much!
Reply 658
Original post by anillatoo
In March there was barely any organic and this time too much!

I hope it is the same case next March since I am already thinking about it :s-smilie:

I must admit it felt like 60% chemistry . I was disappointed there weren't many biology questions.
Same with S2 A, I used space exploration as my example for my thesis (comment 3) since I'd read a really interesting article the night before about the challenges of it 😄

I do feel a little screwed by Acer. However if most people had a similar experience, the adjusted scores may reflect that. Nobody really knows just how much they have to change raw scores to get GAMSAT scores. Des O'neil may guesstimate but that differs year on year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending