The Student Room Group

Why are female cashiers at supermarkets usually more polite than male cashiers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
& can you help me take my bags to my van car plz ?

:idea:

* [scroll]:auto: [/scroll]

:flute:

Anything for the friendly neighbourhood Bear.
Reply 41
really? i find both equally as polite
If anything, the guy at my local Co-Op is too friendly. I have actually driven an extra 6 miles to go to a Waitrose where I know I can shop with minimal human interaction.
Original post by the bear
there is an unexpected item in my bagging area :smug: *

Please try jiggling your card holder with your swiss army knife. Attachment 14.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
If anything, the guy at my local Co-Op is too friendly. I have actually driven an extra 6 miles to go to a Waitrose where I know I can shop with minimal human interaction.

Lmao. There's a woman I work with, she is so lovely but she talks SO MUCH. Some of the customers just look eager to get away from her. I think a smile, a hello and 'have a nice day' is enough interaction. I hate being asked how my day has been etc. Just gimme my stuff and lemme go.
Original post by Precious Illusions
Lmao. There's a woman I work with, she is so lovely but she talks SO MUCH. Some of the customers just look eager to get away from her. I think a smile, a hello and 'have a nice day' is enough interaction. I hate being asked how my day has been etc. Just gimme my stuff and lemme go.

Ikr. No one cares how my day is, even I don't care how my day is, let's just dispense with the pleasantries and get on with our miserable lives.
Original post by ForestShadow
this applies generally to life too :lol:

how tf can you see that on the opposite side of them checking out?

To be fair, that is true.
Sucks for us guys though! :frown:
Original post by FireFreezer77
To be fair, that is true.
Sucks for us guys though! :frown:

Nah we dont get periods tho xD
and we dont need to give birth xD
In my local aldi it's the blokes that are more polite sounding. But tbh I don't really pay much attention in shops I just to pay for my crap and get out. I'm probably the rudest element of the whole exchange.
Original post by queen-bee
Same :curious:

:five:
Original post by ForestShadow
Nah we dont get periods tho xD
and we dont need to give birth xD

Well it seems like some guys do :tongue: (not literally of course)
Ah damn I thought I was pregnant :frown:
Original post by cucumberhater
so have i! :s-smilie:

:yep:

Original post by Twinpeaks
Hostility? Thatt's a bit extreme.

I used to work at Tescooo and I used to find young, female customers the mos unfriendly to be honest, maybe that explains it.

Young women in their 20s used to often be nice and chatty or at least polite, and same for more mature women. But I often found that teenage girls used to forget their manners. They'd just kind of stand there and stare, not even smile. Just this resting ***** face.
So I used to do the same. Whereas teenage boys were a bitt more awkward, but they seemed to make more effort.

I don't know why that is. Perhaps I used to be the same, I wouldn't like to think so though.

I'll give you one example. I have more but this one just comes to my mind quite often when thinking about my experience with cashiers in general.

So, I was in the line waiting to be checked out at Morrisons. I got a text from my mum while waiting in the line with my items that she had bought strawberry jam so told me not to. When it was my turn, I asked the lady (maybe mid 20s) scanning my items to not scan the jam jar as I don't want it anymore. She had this look on her face like I cut one. She said to me that why didn't you think of that before getting into the line. I explained to her that why I don't need it anymore. She's like I don't care. Then she said that you could've gone to some other till rather than bugging me. I said but this is your job. She sarcastically looked at me and said 'customers are always right? My ass'. I was shocked and looked behind me where this other customer also had a shocked look on her face.

Luckily, the manager was passing by the till and heard her say all of this to me. I didn't even realise that he was the manager, neither did she realise that his shift just started. He came to the till and said her name, then went on to say that 'why don't you go and keep this jam back while I serve this lovely lady'. Lol. :lol:
I'm a cashier and I'm very polite to customers. I don't ever small talk, but I always greet the customer with an enormous smile and cheery hello, and ask if they need any bags. Then I stay a big thank you and byebye now at the end.
I tend to find that a lot of cashiers are bored or uninterested, regardless of gender. Especially when you're being served at a certain discount store.
But I've found, at my local ASDA, some of the older cashiers are more polite and chatty than some of the younger ones. Sometimes maybe too much so.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest