The Student Room Group

HMRC Tax Professional Caseworker Provisional Offer

Hey all!

I applied for the HMRC TSP Grad Program last year but missed out, however in August I was given a provisional offer for a 'Tax Professional & Operational Delivery Officer Caseworker in London' which is an Officer post and not part of the grad program.

The provisional offer is subject to pre-employment checks which can apparently take a few weeks, and I was just wondering if anyone is in the same position and has heard anything, or is in the same boat in wondering how long it might all take?

Thanks!

NC

Scroll to see replies

Hey there, many are in similar positions (with me being in an identical position to you, including feeling the need to register for TSR)... if you look at other threads which cover broadly similar issues (O/HO) for various locations you can perhaps guage the overall progress.

Just to spare you having to look through the various threads historically....a few people discovered that pre-employment checks can take 20 working days (so that would bring us to this week since the August Date you mentioned which is likely to be 16/8), other steps are necessary for the formal offer to take effect (identity, DBS, health etc)

However please note the above is by no means certain, as you need to take into account many people are referring to an external independent application for advertised roles including interviews etc (and not reserve list following an unsucessful TSP Grad app).... and in this some have been on hold for at least 3 months (and in many cases more).

Since the provisional offer, have you received any form of communication from them (emal, post, phone).

Good luck and who knows we may be working together soon.
In same boat, provisional offer for O grade following TSP (not even an interview!). Have since applied for HO role while I await results of background checks.
Reply 3
I did schlep through the other forums, but it all seemed to be posts about the TSP, so after an hour or two I gave up and just posted myself!

I haven't heard anything from them since, not even confirmation that I've accepted the offer or provided my references. My personal referee is an SIO for HMRC and even he doesn't have a clue how long its likely to take, they haven't contacted him yet either.

Original post by MurphysLaw2471
In same boat, provisional offer for O grade following TSP (not even an interview!). Have since applied for HO role while I await results of background checks.

I haven't been interviewed either, I'm glad you're in the same position! I was starting to get paranoid that they were gonna realise that they'd 'effed up and rescind the offer.

Hopefully we'll find out soon. More than anything I'm curious as to what office I'm going to be in.
Reply 4
Original post by NicolaClaire
I did schlep through the other forums, but it all seemed to be posts about the TSP, so after an hour or two I gave up and just posted myself!

I haven't heard anything from them since, not even confirmation that I've accepted the offer or provided my references. My personal referee is an SIO for HMRC and even he doesn't have a clue how long its likely to take, they haven't contacted him yet either.

I haven't been interviewed either, I'm glad you're in the same position! I was starting to get paranoid that they were gonna realise that they'd 'effed up and rescind the offer.

Hopefully we'll find out soon. More than anything I'm curious as to what office I'm going to be in.

The offices and respective people your line manager etc will only be informed when you accept a formal offer ... As far as I'm aware. Then there's a direct line of communication because all the checks have been done etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Same boat, been a month now since the provisional offer.
Reply 6
Original post by Swizzeh
Same boat, been a month now since the provisional offer.

How long does it take from when they ask you for health form completed DBS application etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Jamz115
The offices and respective people your line manager etc will only be informed when you accept a formal offer ... As far as I'm aware. Then there's a direct line of communication because all the checks have been done etc

I'm not sure if you've misunderstood me or not. The SIO isn't my line manager, I don't work for HMRC. He's my personal referee because he's a friend and colleague of my dad who does work for HMRC and I've known him almost my entire life. When I said they hadn't contacted him I basically meant that as far as I'm aware they haven't checked my references yet.

The provisional offer we were all given states that after the pre-emp checks are completed satisfactorily we'll be given a formal offer along with a start date and office location.
Reply 8
Original post by Jamz115
How long does it take from when they ask you for health form completed DBS application etc

As far as I'm aware all of us who were given provisional O Band offers were sent the email on the 16th August. I haven't heard from anyone yet who has already been asked for their health form and according to the DBS there isn't an application in my name. It's looking like it could still take a while.
Reply 9
As far as I'm aware all of us who were given provisional O Band offers were sent the email on the 16th August. I haven't heard from anyone yet who has already been asked for their health form and according to the DBS there isn't an application in my name. It's looking like it could still take a while.

Yea usually even when you eventually get your formal offer ... The start date tends to be a month in advance of that again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi folks. I am in the same boat as you all seem to be,- provisional offer received on 16/08 (without an interview). I received a phone call this afternoon inviting me to an appointment next week for identity and qualification verification. Email says pension questionnaire and character declaration will also be completed on the day. Anyone else hear anything today? It is a frustratingly slow process!!!
Well you certainly have got to a stage further than most! A call and email... you are lucky.

Just out of interest (and desperation) are you referring to the O grade for London, or is it another location or HO?

What qualification or qualifications did they request? I am assuming that a degree certificate will be ok by itself as many dont know where there older certificates usually are, plus most did apply for the TSP and are likely to have their degrees ready.

Last but not least... did they give you any indication as to start dates? Or in other words how close is it to a formal offer?

Thanks it would be useful to know for all who monitor this... and also good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Marko657
Hi folks. I am in the same boat as you all seem to be,- provisional offer received on 16/08 (without an interview). I received a phone call this afternoon inviting me to an appointment next week for identity and qualification verification. Email says pension questionnaire and character declaration will also be completed on the day. Anyone else hear anything today? It is a frustratingly slow process!!!

Haven't heard anything today but it's encouraging that you have! Hopefully something will actually start happening now. I don't mind it being a slow process, it's just having no clue what's going on that's frustrating!
Reply 13
From what I can see from following these forums, it's usually between 3 & 4 months from provisional offer to starting. References usually aren't contacted (I dunno why they ask for them).
Yeah, I got a call today asking to go in next week with my identity documents. This was the first I'd heard from them since August 16th. For a band O position in Glasgow.
Original post by enterunsername
Well you certainly have got to a stage further than most! A call and email... you are lucky.

Just out of interest (and desperation) are you referring to the O grade for London, or is it another location or HO?

What qualification or qualifications did they request? I am assuming that a degree certificate will be ok by itself as many dont know where there older certificates usually are, plus most did apply for the TSP and are likely to have their degrees ready.

Last but not least... did they give you any indication as to start dates? Or in other words how close is it to a formal offer?

Thanks it would be useful to know for all who monitor this... and also good luck.

Hi, it is for O grade and location is Belfast. Still no idea about when any formal offer may be forthcoming. But the general consensus on these threads seems to be anything from 1-3 months. Fingers crossed! Hope yall hear soon!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Marko657
Hi, it is for O grade and location is Belfast. Still no idea about when any formal offer may be forthcoming. But the general consensus on these threads seems to be anything from 1-3 months. Fingers crossed! Hope yall hear soon!

I'm O grade too Belfast .. Provisional offer on 12 August sent off DBS and health form Sunday ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Hi all - I also received a provisional O grade offer for Nottingham on 16/08.

I had to go in to show my documents and give in the character and pension form last Friday and I had an email to complete my DBS check and health declaration yesterday.

I'm hoping this means that things are progressing - I just want to get started now!

Anyone else had an offer for Nottingham?
Original post by Jamz115
I'm O grade too Belfast .. Provisional offer on 12 August sent off DBS and health form Sunday ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you say you sent off these forms, where did you get them from? Did you get these when you went for identity and qualification checks?
Reply 19
I imagine they will provide anything they need you to send, but if you log into your Application centre and go into the Tax Programme there are forms under 'View Attachments'. You've got a Pension Questionnaire an FAQ sheet and some other bits.

In regards to the DBS I don't understand what you've sent off? You can't apply for a DBS check yourself, everything has to be done through an employer or organisation who is registered with the DBS. You give the employer your identity documents and it all goes through them.

They email you to say when the form is available to complete through the portal. You have to provide details like passport and driving license number.

They also attach a health declaration to be emailed back to a provided address

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending