The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

English Lit first year reading requirements?!

RH was my second choice so although I'm over the moon to be going there, I read all the books/ was prepared for the reading required for my first choice :tongue: this list: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/english/informationforcurrentstudents/undergraduate/readinglists/en1107reorientingthenovel.aspx is huge and I don't know how much of it I need to buy or read in advance of the course? freshers starts saturday and I'm stressing out I'll be behind before I even get there...
I'm doing English at RH too, so nice to meet you! The reading list is pretty extensive, and I haven't finished all the texts either so you're not alone! :smile: I think I read that the Shakespeare unit is pretty full on in Semester 1, so maybe try and read some Shakespeare if you can? Also, I think we'll study the novels in the order they're listed, so if you can get your hands on some of them; that might help too? I hope that helps. :smile: Maddy
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Maddy Allison
I'm doing English at RH too, so nice to meet you! The reading list is pretty extensive, and I haven't finished all the texts either so you're not alone! :smile: I think I read that the Shakespeare unit is pretty full on in Semester 1, so maybe try and read some Shakespeare if you can? Also, I think we'll study the novels in the order they're listed, so if you can get your hands on some of them; that might help too? I hope that helps. :smile: Maddy

Hi! Nice to meet you too :smile: thank you for the reassurance haha, I feel so unprepared for this course! I'm going to try and get most of the novels on the term 1 list, and will attempt to read some of the Shakespeare I haven't read before. I'm so excited to be going to RH though, do you know which accommodation you're in yet? Thanks for the help :smile: Kat x
Original post by kat16997
Hi! Nice to meet you too :smile: thank you for the reassurance haha, I feel so unprepared for this course! I'm going to try and get most of the novels on the term 1 list, and will attempt to read some of the Shakespeare I haven't read before. I'm so excited to be going to RH though, do you know which accommodation you're in yet? Thanks for the help :smile: Kat x

Haha, no worries! I know, the amount of reading is quite daunting, but I think just reading often will avoid the work building up! I'm excited too, although quite nervous! I'm staying in Founders!! How about you? Again, no worries. :smile: Maddy x
Reply 4
Haha, no worries! I know, the amount of reading is quite daunting, but I think just reading often will avoid the work building up! I'm excited too, although quite nervous! I'm staying in Founders!! How about you? Again, no worries. :smile: Maddy x

Thank you, it is daunting but hopefully it'll be okay once the course gets going :smile: I'm in Founders too!! On the west side I think :smile: x
Thank you, it is daunting but hopefully it'll be okay once the course gets going :smile: I'm in Founders too!! On the west side I think :smile: x

Yes, absolutely; we just need to settle into it. :smile: Really?! That's cool! I'm on the East side! What are your freshers plans? I'm totally excited for the formal! :smile: x
Reply 6
Yes, absolutely; we just need to settle into it. :smile: Really?! That's cool! I'm on the East side! What are your freshers plans? I'm totally excited for the formal! :smile: x

Definitely :smile: awesome!! I'm so excited to see my room ahh I love the Founders building :biggrin: not really sure tbh (I'm such an unorganised person you may have guessed haha), probably going to try out as much as I can and see what happens, how about you? And same here, I'm a bit worried about what to wear though because I think it's smart/dress wear?x
Definitely :smile: awesome!! I'm so excited to see my room ahh I love the Founders building :biggrin: not really sure tbh (I'm such an unorganised person you may have guessed haha), probably going to try out as much as I can and see what happens, how about you? And same here, I'm a bit worried about what to wear though because I think it's smart/dress wear?x

Me too, I can't believe we get to live in such an amazing building. I'm doing pretty much the same thing tbh! Yes, I think it's full on formal dress wear, I'm gonna have to raid my wardrobe!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending