The Student Room Group

BIOLOGY Microscope resolution - which resolution is better and why?

So for light microscope it says that it's got a resolution of 0.2 MICROmetre

For electron microscope it says it has a resolution of 0.1 NANOmetre.

Umm, silly question, which number is bigger? and is a bigger resolution better or lower resolution?? the definition I have for resolution is "min distance apart that 2 objects can be and still appear as seperate objects" Help please
Original post by Perfection Ace
So for light microscope it says that it's got a resolution of 0.2 MICROmetre

For electron microscope it says it has a resolution of 0.1 NANOmetre.

Umm, silly question, which number is bigger? and is a bigger resolution better or lower resolution?? the definition I have for resolution is "min distance apart that 2 objects can be and still appear as seperate objects" Help please

A nanometre is a lot smaller than a micrometer. 1 nanometre is to the power of minus 9 while micro is to the power of minus 6.

The "smaller" resolution is way better because if you think about it, you can see things that have an extremely shorter distance between them. Your definition is correct btw.
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
A nanometre is a lot smaller than a micrometer. 1 nanometre is to the power of minus 9 while micro is to the power of minus 6.

The "smaller" resolution is way better because if you think about it, you can see things that have an extremely shorter distance between them. Your definition is correct btw.

:s-smilie:, I can't think about it lol hurts my head. Does smaller resolution=smaller number which = nanometre?
:s-smilie:, I can't think about it lol hurts my head. Does smaller resolution=smaller number which = nanometre?

Yes, nanometres are smaller than micrometres so it is the smaller number and so does mean better resolution. Because even at such a small distance between two objects you can still differentiate between the two objects.

It's not a "smaller" resolution though. Technically it's either high or low resolution, so: Higher resolution=smaller number=nanometre.

Get it? Think big if it hurts. It's like with nanometers you can see between two car seats, but with micrometers you can barely see between two cars apart, the smaller/shorter distance is between the car seats, yet it's the higher resolution.
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
It's not a "smaller" resolution though. Technically it's either high or low resolution, so: Higher resolution=smaller number=nanometre.

Get it? Think big if it hurts. It's like with nanometers you can see between two car seats, but with micrometers you can barely see between two cars apart, the smaller/shorter distance is between the car seats, yet it's the higher resolution.

Hmmm, I think so yeah! I kind of understand, thanks a lot bro! :smile:
Hmmm, I think so yeah! I kind of understand, thanks a lot bro! :smile:

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest