The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I will be applying for Economics L101

At GCSE I got 10A* and AAA at AS (economics is linear course so no AS this year) with 95 UMS in maths

I'm predicted A*A*A* and A in Maths Economics Geography and AS Further Maths respectively

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Hi everyone I genuinely want some advice.
I am applying for the Geography with Economics Bsc course at LSE
I have 9A*s and 2As at GCSE
I have achieved; AAAB in Geography, Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively. I was only 2 UMS marks away from an A in maths so I will get that remarked.
I am predicted an A*AA.
Do you think i stand a chance with my grades?
How do i write a personal statement for a joint course?
Original post by Don Joiner
I will be applying for Economics L101

At GCSE I got 10A* and AAA at AS (economics is linear course so no AS this year) with 95 UMS in maths

I'm predicted A*A*A* and A in Maths Economics Geography and AS Further Maths respectively

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by manaaaaal
Hi everyone I genuinely want some advice.
I am applying for the Geography with Economics Bsc course at LSE
I have 9A*s and 2As at GCSE
I have achieved; AAAB in Geography, Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively. I was only 2 UMS marks away from an A in maths so I will get that remarked.
I am predicted an A*AA.
Do you think i stand a chance with my grades?
How do i write a personal statement for a joint course?

Original post by Danllo
I'm currently taking a 2nd gap year and my current grades are A*BB in Mathematics, Economics and Chemistry. I am retaking Economics and Chemistry and I'm predicted A*A*A in Maths, Economics and Chemistry or 3 A*s perhaps. I am planning to apply for LSE Management and I have 9As and 2Bs at GCSE. Along with a strong personal statement and referencedo you think I have a shot ? Please can someone give me advice.

With reference to all of you, bear this in mind: if you exceed the entry requirements for the course you apply for, you stand enough of a chance to apply.

Yes, there may be people who have superior grades to you, but that is impossible for you to control and varies by each application period. What you can do is bolster your personal statement.

On the whole, LSE receives something like 17,000 applications for 1,700 places across all courses. Most people have the grades, so what decides who is chosen is the quality of the personal statement.

What makes you unique? Others can have AAAA at AS but why should they pick you over everyone else?

I posted some links earlier in the thread to LSE's own guides for personal statements. Use these - it is a guide to what LSE is looking for! As a basic guide:

Show you understand what the LSE course contains as opposed to any other university course (modules).
Show why they should choose you (academic skills)
Why the course? How are you prepared for it?
Extracurriculars (70:30 ratio)

Above all, give them a reason to choose you and make your applications stand out. Avoid clichés like freakonomics, and instead focus on reading material from the lectures. But if you use books, don't just write that, comment on what you derived from them.

I wish you all luck and pop up if you want! :smile:
Original post by shawcalvinshaw
HI there,
I'm planning to apply for LSE A&F this year, got Aaab in AL Math,AS Economics, AS Physics and AS History respectively. Currently doing Furthur Math, Economics and Physics this year. Know that a PS in depth is required, and my grades meet the requirement but it ain't competitive. Do want to know the chances of getting in, as it's pretty much my target school.
Also really worried about linking accounting to my PS, somebody plez give me an idea where can I get clear information for it.

So stressed right now, all replies are appreciated!!!

As for the likelihood of getting in, which? university often have the statistics. It is also on the LSE course information on their website, but bear in mind the statistics are likely to be TOTAL applications against CURRENT students.

Some people will not have had necessary grades, so there will be excess applications, and some people may have received offers but declined/missed their conditional offers - hence an overall lower percentage "acceptance rate"
Reply 44
How important are GCSE grades to applying to LSE?
Original post by Mojam99
How important are GCSE grades to applying to LSE?

I feel like A-Level grades are much more important - if you do well in A-Levels but don't have the best GCSE grades, they might take GCSEs into account but the fact remains that your relevant, and most up to date, qualifications are good, which is what really matters
Original post by Danllo
I'm currently taking a 2nd gap year and my current grades are A*BB in Mathematics, Economics and Chemistry. I am retaking Economics and Chemistry and I'm predicted A*A*A in Maths, Economics and Chemistry or 3 A*s perhaps. I am planning to apply for LSE Management and I have 9As and 2Bs at GCSE. Along with a strong personal statement and referencedo you think I have a shot ? Please can someone give me advice.

Those are great predictions - if I may ask how did you get predictions while on your gap year? Is this included in your reference?
I phoned LSE and asked them what they think of someone who is retaking after A2 and they said you would be at a disadvantage, but they also take into consideration your personal statement and reference, so you may still have a chance :smile:
Reply 47
ive seen that that want an A/ A* in GCSE maths if applying for econ; has anyone got in without this?
Many thanks.
Original post by redwhiteandbrit
As for the likelihood of getting in, which? university often have the statistics. It is also on the LSE course information on their website, but bear in mind the statistics are likely to be TOTAL applications against CURRENT students.

Some people will not have had necessary grades, so there will be excess applications, and some people may have received offers but declined/missed their conditional offers - hence an overall lower percentage "acceptance rate"
I understand it should be done in a 50/50 structure, I am just struggling in thinking of a way to fill the gap for accounting.
Original post by Lanthum
What do you mean by "really worried about linking accounting to my PS" ?
You are supposed to do 50/50 since it's a combined course. 50% Accounting and 50% Finance
Reply 50
GCSE 4A* 3A 3B
AS level - 2 A 2 B
A - business and ethics/philosophy
B - maths and economics
- dropping business, is it worth apply for economics or shall I apply for econ and econ history instead
Reply 51
Original post by JohnGreek
Can't see you as having too many chances for straight Econ to be honest - they ask for your UMS, and are particularly keen on you getting an A* in Maths at A2. The jump from a B at AS to an A* at A2, bearing in mind that the lattter is harder, is going to be hard to pull off.

What do you recommend?
Reply 52
Hi I'm an international student applying for Law in LSE. Currently, I'm taking a gap year before pursuing my undergraduate course. Also, I have known that LSE does email applicants about the 'notice period' (i.e. how many weeks) if we are further considered in the pool. Does anyone know what is the standard period of notice that will be issued by LSE?

Here are my following GCE grades:
AS: AAAA (achieved)
A2: A*A*A*A (achieved)

Thank you for your kind response! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Applying to do Law..

GCSE: AAAAABBBBBC
AS: A(ENG LIT), A(HISTORY), A(IT), B(RS)
A2 Predictions: A*(HIST) A*(IT) A(ENG LIT)

Extra Curricular's :
1 week work experience at a national law firm
1 week at a Crown Court
1 week at a city firm
read "What About Law?"

Also applying to: Queen Mary, Exeter, Cardiff and Liverpool
Reply 54
Anyone knows how long it takes to get an answer on your UCAS application?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Don Joiner
I'm applying for Economics

I have 10A*s at GCSE and AAA at AS, maths module scores of 100, 90, 92, 96 in C1 C2 C3 and M1 respectively

Predicted A*A*A* + A in AS Further Maths

Do I have a good chance of getting an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

-_- really?
Original post by Ze Witcher
-_- really?

I'm only saying this because when I told my teacher I was applying to LSE he seemed like it was an impossible feat and I basically have no chance?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lanthum
Anyone knows how long it takes to get an answer on your UCAS application?

For LSE, they give them until Easter Holidays. It will be a very long wait, so honestly just wait and dont stress too much (it will be very hard).
They will send emails of something along the lines:
2 week email
8 week email
4 week email
something along these lines...
(Each email said that they will update you in that amount of time, but it doesnt mean you will get a decision by the end of the first 2 weeks)

The wait will be shorter for those who apply late, since LSE aims to give out all offers until an internal deadline they set.
Also, its not a fact, but usually some days they send out the rejections and some days offers.

Note: many early applicants got an offer or rejection on the last week before their internal deadline, thats why I said the wait will be shorter for people who apply later, since they will be applying closer to the deadline anyways.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 59
I'm currently taking a 2ND GAP YEAR and my current grades are A*BB in Mathematics, Economics and Chemistry. I am retaking Economics and Chemistry and I'm predicted A*A*A* in Maths, Economics and Chemistry. I am planning to apply for the LSE Management course (AAA) and I have 9 As and 2Bs at GCSE. What are my chances of getting in ? I am trying to produce the best personal statement I can as I really want to get onto the course. When I first got my A-level results (August 2015) I got BCC in Econ, Maths and Chem respectively and this year (August 2016) I got A*BB as mentioned above. Now that I'm taking a 2ND GAP YEAR, I am doing work placements at KPMG and PwC to enhance my application plus a part time job. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES FOR THIS COURSE ? PLEASE can someone advise me and what are best things to include in my personal statement for LSE Management ???

My other four choices are;

UCL - Management Science
UCL - Statistics and Management for Business
UCL - Statistics, Economics ans Finance
KCL - Economics and Management

but LSE Management is my top choice. Please can I have some advice, thanks,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending