The Student Room Group

Anyone one else super embarassed (or dislike) their name?

I have had a hard to pronounce name (I don't want to say what it is) since I was born. It is one of those names that Chinese people have that is basically a pronunciation of their Chinese name.

It is really hard to pronounce and inconvenient as my new teachers and classmates pronounces it wrong and I have to always repeat it until they understand.

Anyone else have the same problem?

Scroll to see replies

Yes as an Asian it is annoying when you have to repeat your name multiple times for someone to understand it. At least your not called boring, unimaginative names like James and Joe.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have an arabic name which almost no one can pronounce right, first time round. I hated it basically from the start of primary, up until a few months ago after I turned 18. I used to wish my mum called me something ordinary like Hannah or Jessica or Chloe, just something everyone can pronounce, a name everyone knows. I used to dread the start of the school year, especially secondary where during the register, I'd have to correct my 10 teachers on the pronunciation of my name frequently till they got it.

I decided almost a year ago that I would change my name after my A2 exams finished and I chose a name and everything. I committed to the new name, I got people to refer to me as that online and I created my new signature among other things. It was after my exams finished that the thought of actually changing my name became scary and daunting. It was always in the future, till it wasn't and I actually had to face it and change it. The name I chose started to make me cringe, so naturally I went back to the baby naming websites in search for a new name but I couldn't find one that suited me and that was when I realised that my current name suited me.

I've almost fully accepted my name now. I hold on to my little victories where someone complimented my name or/and asked the origin of it. I think about how I've never met anyone else with my name and I probably never will because that's how special my name is.
I hate my name with a passion!
It sucks and people used to call me bad nicknames :frown:
Wasn't nice at all :frown:
Reply 4
There was a black guy on graduation who had his Ghanian name listed as the official one, although everyone calls him something else when he went on the stage the person announcing names couldn't pronounce it because it was so long.

Everyone laughed, felt bad for him.
Original post by undine_monty
I have an arabic name which almost no one can pronounce right, first time round. I hated it basically from the start of primary, up until a few months ago after I turned 18. I used to wish my mum called me something ordinary like Hannah or Jessica or Chloe, just something everyone can pronounce, a name everyone knows. I used to dread the start of the school year, especially secondary where during the register, I'd have to correct my 10 teachers on the pronunciation of my name frequently till they got it.

I decided almost a year ago that I would change my name after my A2 exams finished and I chose a name and everything. I committed to the new name, I got people to refer to me as that online and I created my new signature among other things. It was after my exams finished that the thought of actually changing my name became scary and daunting. It was always in the future, till it wasn't and I actually had to face it and change it. The name I chose started to make me cringe, so naturally I went back to the baby naming websites in search for a new name but I couldn't find one that suited me and that was when I realised that my current name suited me.

I've almost fully accepted my name now. I hold on to my little victories where someone complimented my name or/and asked the origin of it. I think about how I've never met anyone else with my name and I probably never will because that's how special my name is.

Stop being rude to me.
My real life name is CIA, my name is literally CIA, OK?!
Everyone in school calls me a big guy for some reason,
and they keep telling me i'll crash the plane or something?
The hell, just because my name's CIA?
Original post by Baaah
I have had a hard to pronounce name (I don't want to say what it is) since I was born. It is one of those names that Chinese people have that is basically a pronunciation of their Chinese name.

It is really hard to pronounce and inconvenient as my new teachers and classmates pronounces it wrong and I have to always repeat it until they understand.

I have a Chinese name as well but it's my middle name. At times like these I'm thankful my parents gave me and my brothers an alternative English name as well otherwise the teachers would be spending an awkward amount of time trying to pronounce my Chinese name

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
My name becomes an insult if u replace one of the letters:rofl::cry:
Reply 8

Everything you say I can relate to. I wish I had changed my name before secondary school so that I wouldn't have this as a problem right now. Every time there is a register, I have to say it again 2 times and there is always a slight chuckle that I here in the background.

I've wanted to change my name since 2 years ago, but never wanted to do it during school. I applied to the same school for sixth form because it is one of the best state schools in the country, and I didn't want to miss out on the education.

In your opinion, what is the best time for a name change?
Reply 9
Sometimes, yes.

My name is kind of popular but I've often been told it sounds tacky having a Persian name when you are white British with no Persian heritage and that it even sounds like a strippers name :eek: I'd never change it though, I've gotten used to it.
Reply 10
Original post by michelle88222
I have a Chinese name as well but it's my middle name. At times like these I'm thankful my parents gave me and my brothers an alternative English name as well otherwise the teachers would be spending an awkward amount of time trying to pronounce my Chinese name

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are so lucky. I wish my parents actually thought about giving me an English name when I was younger, it would make my life so much easier. Fortunately for my brother, he changed it before high school.
Original post by Spock's Socks
Sometimes, yes.

My name is kind of popular but I've often been told it sounds tacky having a Persian name when you are white British with no Persian heritage and that it even sounds like a strippers name :eek: I'd never change it though, I've gotten used to it.

Persian is a beautiful language imo :love:

My name is a typical white name but everyone is always one letter off- apparently I spell it the French way and not the English way :dontknow:
Original post by Baaah
Everything you say I can relate to. I wish I had changed my name before secondary school so that I wouldn't have this as a problem right now. Every time there is a register, I have to say it again 2 times and there is always a slight chuckle that I here in the background.

I've wanted to change my name since 2 years ago, but never wanted to do it during school. I applied to the same school for sixth form because it is one of the best state schools in the country, and I didn't want to miss out on the education.

In your opinion, what is the best time for a name change?

I would change it before you start your UCAS application if you can. If you're not 18 at the time, your parents will have to do it for you.

Don't just choose any name at the spur of the moment. Pick a name you like and sit on it. See how you still feel about the names a few months down the line and if you still like the name you've picked when you start the process of changing your name, then its right for you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Baaah

Nope. I'm also Chinese but was given a "Western" name when I was born. I'm sorry you feel that way, but most Chinese people i know just use nicknames. Perhaps you should do the same.

@ForestShadow Copying in my broski as he can shed some further light on this
Reply 14
I would change it before you start your UCAS application if you can. If you're not 18 at the time, your parents will have to do it for you.

Don't just choose any name at the spur of the moment. Pick a name you like and sit on it. See how you still feel about the names a few months down the line and if you still like the name you've picked when you start the process of changing your name, then its right for you.

When you I start my UCAS application? And if I do change it, would my school know about it?
Original post by Baaah
When you I start my UCAS application? And if I do change it, would my school know about it?

You would start the UCAS application for uni around this time (September - January) when you're in year 13. If you change it before the application, yes your school would know about it.

You could also wait till after your year 13 exams and then inform UCAS of your name change and your school won't know about it because you wouldn't actually be studying there anymore. You would just collect your results when they're ready and it won't matter if your name is different to what's on your results because no one will actually know except you.

I don't know if the name changing will be easy after you've already applied through UCAS because I never started the process. I can imagine you would inform UCAS and then your firm and insurance as well. You would need to get the full details from UCAS by calling them up.
Original post by UWS
Nope. I'm also Chinese but was given a "Western" name when I was born. I'm sorry you feel that way, but most Chinese people i know just use nicknames. Perhaps you should do the same.

@ForestShadow Copying in my broski as he can shed some further light on this

Cheers for the tag :tongue:

Yeah I know the feel, my chinese name is pretty hard to pronounce so I just chose my own english name and went with that instead. nicknames work too at an informal lvl
Reply 17
Same here I really hate my name, it is an OLD Arabic name. I only know 2 people with the same name and they are like 50 years old !!!
Reply 18
Original post by yoomi
Same here I really hate my name, it is an OLD Arabic name. I only know 2 people with the same name and they are like 50 years old !!!

I feel your pain XD

I'm the only one in the world with my name
it is a great ice-breaker at parties when i reveal that my name is Wilberforce Trout-Dangler.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending