The Student Room Group

Difficult surds question (help)

Hi!

As part of my homework, I have been set the following question:

'You are given that yy is not 0, and that x>yx>y. Now suppose that xy=xy\sqrt{x-y} = \sqrt{x} - \sqrt{y}.

(a) Show that (xy)2=x2xy+y(\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{y})^2 = x - 2 \sqrt{x} \sqrt{y} +y.
(b) Deduce that y(xy)=0y(x-y) =0, and hence that either y=0y=0 or x=yx=y.
(c) What can you deduce about xy\sqrt{x-y} and xy\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{y}?'

I've done the first two parts, but I'm not sure what to write for part (c).

While writing this, I've noticed that x=yx=y is not possible, because earlier in the question it states that x>yx>y. Hence I assume the answer must be to say that yy must be 0, but I may be missing something? Is that really all I have to write?
Reply 1
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
Hi!

As part of my homework, I have been set the following question:
'You are given that yy is not 0, and that x>yx>y. Now suppose that xy=xy\sqrt{x-y} = \sqrt{x} - \sqrt{y}.

(a) Show that (xy)2=x2xy+y(\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{y})^2 = x - 2 \sqrt{x} \sqrt{y} +y.
(b) Deduce that y(xy)=0y(x-y) =0, and hence that either y=0y=0 or x=yx=y.
(c) What can you deduce about xy\sqrt{x-y} and xy\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{y}?'

I've done the first two parts, but I'm not sure what to write for part (c).

While writing this, I've noticed that x=yx=y is not possible, because earlier in the question it states that x>yx>y. Hence I assume the answer must be to say that yy must be 0, but I may be missing something? Is that really all I have to write?

You're also given that y is not 0.
Original post by B_9710
You're also given that y is not 0.

Oh yeah... OK, so I just say that the supposed xy=xy\sqrt{x-y} = \sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y} is false/impossible? Thank you!
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
Oh yeah... OK, so I just say that the supposed xy=xy\sqrt{x-y} = \sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y} is false/impossible? Thank you!

Both solutions are not possible therefore xyxy\sqrt{x-y} \not= \sqrt{x} - \sqrt{y}
Original post by RDKGames
Both solutions are not possible therefore xyxy\sqrt{x-y} \not= \sqrt{x} - \sqrt{y}

Ok, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest