The Student Room Group

Nearly 2 Weeks in and Changing Sixth Forms?

I already made the same post before but I've mistakenly placed in a different subject/area.

Anyway, I've already started my A-Levels about under 2 weeks ago at this College, Rochdale Sixth Form which is a good Sixth Form in my opinion. However, another Sixth Form school, Bluecoat, shows better statistics. What made me to think of applying now is because someone I know just applied last week and managed to get in. I applied back in March/April but they put me in the waiting list. But now that I have my GCSE's, I think they would see things differently maybe? My question is, should I bother applying to there but given the fact that I'm already about 2 weeks late, will it impact me a lot? I'm currently doing Maths, Biology and Chemistry.
I go to Blue Coat Sixth Form, and I went to the school previously, we have a very VERY good sixth form, but one thing a few of people have been doing are leaving and going back to their old colleges/schools because they can't hack the school-like environment. About 5-10 people have dropped out which means that there are some spaces. I know they accepted a guy last week who was going to go to Oldham Sixth Form, but changed his mind. At out sixth form you have to do 4 subjects though. Also, we have literally just started courses, I'm taking maths and we are just doing stuff to bridge the gap between GCSE's and A-Levels, it's the same in Physics, so probably the other sciences too. Ring up asap and I'm sure they'll be happy to let you in! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 11easkry
I go to Blue Coat Sixth Form, and I went to the school previously, we have a very VERY good sixth form, but one thing a few of people have been doing are leaving and going back to their old colleges/schools because they can't hack the school-like environment. About 5-10 people have dropped out which means that there are some spaces. I know they accepted a guy last week who was going to go to Oldham Sixth Form, but changed his mind. At out sixth form you have to do 4 subjects though. Also, we have literally just started courses, I'm taking maths and we are just doing stuff to bridge the gap between GCSE's and A-Levels, it's the same in Physics, so probably the other sciences too. Ring up asap and I'm sure they'll be happy to let you in! :smile:

I see, and I think that might be the person I was on about haha. And yeah no doubt, it's an excellent sixth form. And I see, so hopefully not much progress has been made in terms of lessons/content. If so, then it shouldn't be too hard for me to catch up on. I've contacted the Sixth Form via email just today after hearing about the chances of getting in now. And as for the four subjects then I'll have to look up on and see which is to my liking. And I wouldn't mind the school-like system to be frank. As long as I work hard and get the grades I want then it shouldn't be too much of a bother. Thanks for your input. :smile:
Original post by J-ved
I see, and I think that might be the person I was on about haha. And yeah no doubt, it's an excellent sixth form. And I see, so hopefully not much progress has been made in terms of lessons/content. If so, then it shouldn't be too hard for me to catch up on. I've contacted the Sixth Form via email just today after hearing about the chances of getting in now. And as for the four subjects then I'll have to look up on and see which is to my liking. And I wouldn't mind the school-like system to be frank. As long as I work hard and get the grades I want then it shouldn't be too much of a bother. Thanks for your input. :smile:

No problem! Any luck on your application?
No problem! Any luck on your application?

I've got an interview tomorrow. I'm starting have doubts on this and everything, could you perhaps tell me how the school works? Are the teachers good? Do they provide you with relevant materials to help you get through the courses? One thing I like at RSFC is that, I have my freedom and everyday varies. The teachers in my opinion are good and provide me with materials to get me through. I do my fair bit of revision to catch up and get ahead. Obviously, it's early days but would I stand a better chance of getting to a good uni whilst going to Blue coat because of their good statistics? I'm just anxious as to how it will affect my future and my self as a person. How much is it like a school? Also would I fit in? RSFC has also put me on this thing called the honors program in which they'd provide me with extra curricular that would get me into a good university.

-
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by J-ved
I've got an interview tomorrow. I'm starting have doubts on this and everything, could you perhaps tell me how the school works? Are the teachers good? Do they provide you with relevant materials to help you get through the courses? One thing I like at RSFC is that, I have my freedom and everyday varies. The teachers in my opinion are good and provide me with materials to get me through. I do my fair bit of revision to catch up and get ahead. Obviously, it's early days but would I stand a better chance of getting to a good uni whilst going to Blue coat because of their good statistics? I'm just anxious as to how it will affect my future and my self as a person. How much is it like a school? Also would I fit in?

-

What high school did you go to? The teachers are really good. The classes are pretty small (about 10-15 in the sciences) so you get enough attention of the teacher and you can literally ask them anything. My teachers always make sure that I ask any question whether it's a 'stupid' question or not. We have an you can get access onto a public drive on the school computers which also hasamazing library, probably better than the Oldham Council ones, and they provide you with textbooks for your courses, and you don't have to pay anything. There is also this VLE called bloodle which has a few learning materials on there, and alot of learning material. At first, especially if you're a "new blue", it seems really strict and private-school like, but believe me, it's not. The teachers treat you like a mature person, if you act like one e.g. with homeworks, revision, responsibility etc. They aren't going to hold your hand, but I've already had a bit of help from a few of my teachers, and it's only been 2 weeks. One thing about blues are that we work hard, but we have fun too. We have college parties once a month on thursdays, which is basically a party with the year 13's. Even though the first one hasn't been yet, it seems pretty cool. In terms how the school/sixth form works. It's school like in terms of timetable. So you have 4 subjects, 5 lessons a day, i think 9 out of the 10 days you have at least 1 free period a day, bar one Monday a fortnight, where we have "Lecture" which is basically an assembly on revision techniques, balancing school and work life, further education choices, etc. In your frees you can go to classrooms, go to the canteen, go to the mezzanine (6th form social area) or go to the library and do some work. You're not really supposed to go out in your frees, only at lunch. But to be honest alot of people go to town in 4th period or 5th period frees. And some people even go home early in 5th period frees.
As an old blue, I have alot of new faces in my classes, but literally, everybody is so chill, because you spend the next 1 or 2 years with these people, they become your friends moreso than your peers. There's not one person that I haven't met who isn't nice, and in terms of the old blues, we are a nice people, seeing as all the snakes went to other colleges.

By the way, you can drop one of your subjects after you get your AS results, which means 3 subjects, and more frees, but you don't have to if you don't want to. Also in terms of privelleges that the younger ones don't get, you don't queue if you want to get into the canteen, you can use your phones, free periods of course as well
Original post by J-ved
I've got an interview tomorrow. I'm starting have doubts on this and everything, could you perhaps tell me how the school works? Are the teachers good? Do they provide you with relevant materials to help you get through the courses? One thing I like at RSFC is that, I have my freedom and everyday varies. The teachers in my opinion are good and provide me with materials to get me through. I do my fair bit of revision to catch up and get ahead. Obviously, it's early days but would I stand a better chance of getting to a good uni whilst going to Blue coat because of their good statistics? I'm just anxious as to how it will affect my future and my self as a person. How much is it like a school? Also would I fit in? RSFC has also put me on this thing called the honors program in which they'd provide me with extra curricular that would get me into a good university.

-

Hi, just wondering what the outcome of everything was
Hi, just wondering what the outcome of everything was

Hey, I've got in and been there for 3 days. Unfortunately, I didn't like it very much and preferred my previous college. It's not to say that, the school it self is bad or anything or the people. They were very welcoming. But overall, it just doesn't suit me and it kind of stressed me out really bad and caused me a lot of anxiety. But I'm grateful for the experience, though. So, I'm going back to RSFC tomorrow.
hi how would you say blue coat compares to osfc? Because I’m having a really hard time deciding between the two bcs I want to do Spanish but bluecoat doesn’t offer it so I’m not sure where to go (but id only take Spanish first year alongside bio/chem/maths)

hi how would you say bluecoat compares to osfc? Because I’m having a really hard time deciding between the two because I want to take Spanish (only AS tho) but bluecoat doesn’t offer it. (Alongside bio/chem/maths)
From your opinion which college is the better college and why do you think that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending