The Student Room Group

Finished Python on Codeacademy, what now?

As the title suggests, I've finished the python course on code academy and want to progress.

I was thinking of making some kind of little game or a collection of solutions to http://projecteuler.net - but I want to do so with an actual GUI rather than just command-line. Can anyone recommend any decent python IDEs with good support for GUI that aren't super complicated to use?
Reply 1
Original post by zackdove
As the title suggests, I've finished the python course on code academy and want to progress.

I was thinking of making some kind of little game or a collection of solutions to http://projecteuler.net - but I want to do so with an actual GUI rather than just command-line. Can anyone recommend any decent python IDEs with good support for GUI that aren't super complicated to use?

Pycharm and Pydev are pretty sweet and simple to use. I usually use Visual Studio, but it is very very annoying for Python and switched to Pycharm (=_=)
Reply 2

You could start using tkinter, or pygame. Are you fully prep on Object Orientated concepts (Inheritence,encapsulation etc)
Reply 3
pycharm my man
Original post by mahmzo
You could start using tkinter, or pygame. Are you fully prep on Object Orientated concepts (Inheritence,encapsulation etc)

Yeah I took A2 Computing so learnt all about that with pascal in Delphi, I should be alright..right?
Pycharm by Jetbrains!

also if you wanna build a GUI in python then you need to install packages with pip... not sure if they use this on codeacademy because it's all browser-based but anyway pip is a package-installer similar to NuGet if you use .NET before? anyway with pip you just enter a simple command like "pip install -scikit-learn"... except it won't be scikit learn because that's not for GUIs. I hear a good one for graphics is called Kivy, do a web search on that and you should find how to install it with pip

you can enter this command into the basic command prompt for windows or the linux/mac terminal once you have fully installed Python on your machine... To "fully install" Python I recommend you download Anaconda or Anaconda 3 for Python 3, you can always have both installed but you can only have one linked to each project environment so make sure you don't confuse the two.

Also there's a terminal in Pycharm that lets you install packages with pip but I'm old school so :smile:

Anyway I wish you the best of luck in your coding endeavours
Reply 6

We have languages like C, C++, C# and Java, but you'd rather make a game using Python as the main language? Right....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Aklaol
We have languages like C, C++, C# and Java, but you'd rather make a game using Python as the main language? Right....

With personal statement deadlines and interviews coming up, I wanted to make something quickly and I already knew a bit of python - is that a crime?
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Pycharm by Jetbrains!

also if you wanna build a GUI in python then you need to install packages with pip... not sure if they use this on codeacademy because it's all browser-based but anyway pip is a package-installer similar to NuGet if you use .NET before? anyway with pip you just enter a simple command like "pip install -scikit-learn"... except it won't be scikit learn because that's not for GUIs. I hear a good one for graphics is called Kivy, do a web search on that and you should find how to install it with pip

you can enter this command into the basic command prompt for windows or the linux/mac terminal once you have fully installed Python on your machine... To "fully install" Python I recommend you download Anaconda or Anaconda 3 for Python 3, you can always have both installed but you can only have one linked to each project environment so make sure you don't confuse the two.

Also there's a terminal in Pycharm that lets you install packages with pip but I'm old school so :smile:

Anyway I wish you the best of luck in your coding endeavours

Having a play around with Pycharm now, and will have a look into Kivy tomorrow. Cheers! :smile:
Reply 9
Move onto C
haha jk, learn java
Reply 10
With personal statement deadlines and interviews coming up, I wanted to make something quickly and I already knew a bit of python - is that a crime?

Nope, just incredibly stupid.:smile:

Learn a language that isnt just a giant meme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GUMI
Move onto C
haha jk, learn java

>choosing java over c++
Funny guy. Stay verbose

Posted from TSR Mobile
For a complete retard when it comes to coding languages, what's the best one to start with?
Original post by BobBobson
Learn a language that isnt just a giant meme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reckon I could learn C++ in a month as well as make something?
Reckon I could learn C++ in a month as well as make something?

Once you know one language its much easier to learn any others. C++ is a bit weird if you're coming from python but it's a lot more powerful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BobBobson
Once you know one language its much easier to learn any others. C++ is a bit weird if you're coming from python but it's a lot more powerful

Posted from TSR Mobile

C++ over C#? On a bit of a tight schedule

Quick Reply