The Student Room Group

What Universities Should i Apply to?

Okay so i want to study Physics or a joint honors of Maths and Physics. I know i will be applying to Oxford, ive started prep for the pat quite a while ago now. But i need to see some opinions about my other unis i should apply to. The only other one ive thought of is St.Andrews

GCSES: i got 5 A* and 3 As . These were the maximum number of gcses i was allowed to take in my school. If it matters the 3 As were all 1 UMS from A*

AS grades: i follow the reforms so our school decided to let us do the exam after 2 years of alevels.However i begged to do maths early and i got a max of A in AS maths

Predicted grades:Physics: A*Maths: A*Chemistry: A(might go to A*)
AS further maths: A - but i don't know i should pick this up or not in my second year because it should pick this up or not in my second year because it is unlikely offers will be made based on this subject and i would HAVE to self teach it as school doesn't offer it, and with the new alevel reforms i dont want to risk messing up my other subjects? thoughts?

Extras: I play volleyball, football and have a black 2 in karate grade 3 by trinity college in guitar with all distinctions,Black holes physics course by George Smoot Nobel prize winnersand a bunch of other stuff

So what do you think my uni choices should be as well?
Original post by NatoHeadshot
Okay so i want to study Physics or a joint honors of Maths and Physics. I know i will be applying to Oxford, ive started prep for the pat quite a while ago now. But i need to see some opinions about my other unis i should apply to. The only other one ive thought of is St.Andrews

GCSES: i got 5 A* and 3 As . These were the maximum number of gcses i was allowed to take in my school. If it matters the 3 As were all 1 UMS from A*

AS grades: i follow the reforms so our school decided to let us do the exam after 2 years of alevels.However i begged to do maths early and i got a max of A in AS maths

Predicted grades:Physics: A*Maths: A*Chemistry: A(might go to A*)
AS further maths: A - but i don't know i should pick this up or not in my second year because it should pick this up or not in my second year because it is unlikely offers will be made based on this subject and i would HAVE to self teach it as school doesn't offer it, and with the new alevel reforms i dont want to risk messing up my other subjects? thoughts?

Extras: I play volleyball, football and have a black 2 in karate grade 3 by trinity college in guitar with all distinctions,Black holes physics course by George Smoot Nobel prize winnersand a bunch of other stuff

So what do you think my uni choices should be as well?

Firstly forgive me for being the giver of probably unwanted information.

Most leading universities for Maths and I suspect Physics expect to see A level Further Maths on your list of subjects. These include Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick ,Bristol, Durham, UCL and Bath. In addition many require step or admissions test as well.

Before making an application to these I would suggest contacting the university directly outlining your circumstances and asking whether they would consider an application without Further Maths in your individual circumstances. It would be far better doing this before applying rather than face multiple rejections.

My gut feeling is that they would expect AS Further Maths as a minimum but you need to get information from the horses mouth so to speak.

Leading universities that don't usually ask for further Maths include Birmingham, Exeter and Lancaster although you will need to check this out as well as things might have changed.

Where you will apply to depends on the advice given to you by the individual universities and I would also check out St Andrews position as well.

There is a body that offers support for people wishing to study Further Maths called the Further Maths Support Programme or Group and if you do decide to do AS Further Maths you would be well advised to contact them and explain the circumstances to your school as they would also help your teacher.

Sorry for the long winded and perhaps bad news provided but you will certainly be best checking everything out now rather than face rejections in due course
Original post by swansea jack 1

Most leading universities for Maths and I suspect Physics expect to see A level Further Maths on your list of subjects. These include Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick ,Bristol, Durham, UCL and Bath. In addition many require step or admissions test as well.

Before making an application to these I would suggest contacting the university directly outlining your circumstances and asking whether they would consider an application without Further Maths in your individual circumstances. It would be far better doing this before applying rather than face multiple rejections.

My gut feeling is that they would expect AS Further Maths as a minimum but you need to get information from the horses mouth so to speak.

Leading universities that don't usually ask for further Maths include Birmingham, Exeter and Lancaster although you will need to check this out as well as things might have changed.

Where you will apply to depends on the advice given to you by the individual universities and I would also check out St Andrews position as well.

There is a body that offers support for people wishing to study Further Maths called the Further Maths Support Programme or Group and if you do decide to do AS Further Maths you would be well advised to contact them and explain the circumstances to your school as they would also help your teacher.

Sorry for the long winded and perhaps bad news provided but you will certainly be best checking everything out now rather than face rejections in due course

I've actually done slot of my research and contacted the university and they said further maths is not a requirement they said it would be helpful but we don't need it for admission but once I'm accepted they said they expect me to study it the summer before I go there

This is the same with all other unis I've contacted so far, none actually asked for further maths in particular suprisingly, and apparently my case of further maths is more genuine since I actually don't have any help to do it with from my school and paying for each exam would have to be all from privately making it very expensive
Original post by swansea jack 1

Thank you for all the time you took typing that btw!
I just checked the Oxford site again and it says further maths is not needed for admissiom. More important actually me smashing their PAT exam on November
Reply 4
It's certainly worth double-checking each university's requirements. Bristol doesn't require FM for their Maths + Physics course:

A*AA including A* in Mathematics and A in Physics
(edited 7 years ago)
this is the admission criteria for Maths and Physics at UCL and why I suggested checking before applying

UCL (University College London) will make offers based on the following qualifications individually and when they are combined with othersGCE A LevelA*A*A - A*AA Typical offerGeneral information on subjects/grades required for entry:Mathematics and Further Mathematics required at A*, or one of Mathematics or Further Mathematics at A* if 1 in any STEP paper or Distinction in Mathematics AEA. Physics also required.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending