The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you think 'gender fluid' is "real"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0to100
I'll have to go back and look at who you say I quoted. Anyway yes you're playing semantics nitpicking the academic difference between male and female because you've more of a social media perspective towards it, hence why you're "quoting" male and female, like they don't exist now lol

As you yourself pointed out, it can be quite hard to detect implication on the internet since all you have is the words I typed. For example, it isn't rational for you to assume that I put 'male' and 'female' in quotes because I have a 'social media perspective... like they don't exist now'. There is a plethora of other reasons I might have done so. And, unsurprisingly, you were indeed wrong! The reason I put them in quotes is because I was referring to the labels - the words themselves - rather than the concepts they tend to represent. In most contexts, I wouldn't put quotation marks around 'male sex' or 'female gender'.

This whole game is semantics - that's kind of my point. I don't think I'm nitpicking.

Just because people who have penis or vagina or both (I draw the line there at acknowledging any other sexes) say they aren't the gender that traditionally comes with male and female, it doesn't mean male and female as sexes no longer mean different things and are assigned in incorrect ways. You are, sex wise, male if you've got the chromosomes XY and a penis, come on now this is primary school stuff. That's never gonna change which is why sex and gender have been distinguished and I always always do that but I've never confused or trivialised the two.

I agree.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by monkcatcher
i get what you're saying but, you can't actually just switch from being male to female when you choose

woaaaaahhhhhhh freeedommmmmmmm
you are talking about biologic sex not gender because if you google gender it will come up with this : the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones)
if genderfluid is real then i can call myself an apache helicopter
Original post by alicemontgomer
you are talking about biologic sex not gender because if you google gender it will come up with this : the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones)

APACHE HELICOPTER BIATCH

gender=sex
Makes me think of this

[video="youtube;__BZahm4lfY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__BZahm4lfY[/video]
Gender-fluid most definitely is real, but corollary to this is that there are male and female brains with significant underlying differences, also the male ones are better.

Checkmate feminists.
Yes
Personally, no, I don't believe being gender-fluid is a valid gender identity, but if someone wants to call themselves that, who am I to tell them what to do?
Mostly its seems to be a phase. They're just confused or looking for attention from people that can just accept that there are two genders, all the others are BS.
No this is just some bs made up on tumblr, there is no proof for this crap.
no, it's politically correct ********. people just make this **** up for the hell of it, to look cool, or because they were bullied or something and need comfort.
Sure, but I am wary of people in search of some identity tagging themselves with this label just because they have some "masculine" and "feminine" traits.
Original post by monkcatcher
Do you think 'gender fluid' is "real"?

Personally I think it is non-existent due to you can't be, 'Gender fluid'

on what basis do you make this assertion

references please ( peer reviewed if possible )

as you are out of step with the evidence base and scientific consensus among clinicians with an interest in gender identity issues. (see WPATH etc )

it might help those who are reading and who are genuinely ignorant ( rather than claiming ignorance but espousing a bigoted view ) to have a little read of the NHS stuff at http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Transhealth/Pages/Transhealthhome.aspx
Original post by SmileyVibe
I don't get gender fluid. So, they wake up in the morning and decide they're a boy then the next they're a girl? Its impossible to change your gender or to snap your fingers and boom! You're the opposite gender when you feel like it.

I'm sorry but that sounds like confusion or trying to find an identity.

I think you are confusing sex and gender.
It's another thing invented by precious sensitive liberals
Reply 117
I believe it is real, but not in the way most genderfluid people would describe it. You see, gender is a spectrum with male and female at opposite ends, but I feel rarely is someone "only male" or ""only female". Females and males can have both masculine or feminine qualities about them. So I think, it isn't weird to be genderfluid because if you think about it, everyone has qualities which may be seen as belonging to the opposite gender.
People who get to say is gender-fluidity possible:

People who claim to be gender-fluid, highly-skilled psychologists and psychiatrists - Yes.

Everybody else - No.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
It's another thing invented by precious sensitive liberals

interesting that you associate this and 'precious sensitivity' with 'liberals'... the left for example is quite fundamentally illiberal

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)