The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you think 'gender fluid' is "real"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Of course not. You can't "feel" like a gender. You just do what's normal to you. Gender fluid people are special snowflakes with nothing interesting about them except their made up gender.
It would make sense since there is so much variation in nature-you get tall people and short people and so many varieties of skin colour. However, I think it assumes that masculine and feminine are set categories (defined by culture) but I think that there can be a lot of variation in these two boxes-you can have more masculine women and more feminine men. Perhaps if we broadened our definitions of masculinity and femininity then we wouldn't need the vocab of gender fluid??
Gender is socially constructed. What is determined as feminine and masculine was determined by people. I understand that 'gender fluid' people don't want to conform to these set molds but why do they have to put a label on it. Gender is made up anyway the only difference between males and females are biological ones. There are too many labels regarding gender and sexuality today that it's frustrating. Biologically you're either a man or a woman, if you don't like wearing something or doing something stereotypically assigned to your sex, who cares, do whatever you want stop making a big deal out of it by labelling everysingle thing that seems out of the norm.
Original post by Implication
interesting that you associate this and 'precious sensitivity' with 'liberals'... the left is quite fundamentally illiberal

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did not mention the left sir
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I did not mention the left sir

Ik

Edited for clarity

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Gender is socially constructed. What is determined as feminine and masculine was determined by people. I understand that 'gender fluid' people don't want to conform to these set molds but why do they have to put a label on it. Gender is made up anyway the only difference between males and females are biological ones. There are too many labels regarding gender and sexuality today that it's frustrating. Biologically you're either a man or a woman, if you don't like wearing something or doing something stereotypically assigned to your sex, who cares, do whatever you want stop making a big deal out of it by labelling everysingle thing that seems out of the norm.

I find its people who claim to be gender fluid who are responsible for creating the masculine and feminine molds.

I don't believe in gender fluid. I think you can be a man and be anything from the manliness of men to the campest of men. Likewide you can be a female and be anything from the grlirliest of girl's to a Tom boy. Being a male/female doesn't dictate that you are going to be one specific type of person. I think the vast majority of people really that men and women come in all shapes and sizes and I feel it's people who "don't identify with socially constructed genders" that are responsible for pigeonholing the two genders.
It's more bs conjured up to further confuse the masses, particularly the young.
Original post by Aniki_
Of course not. You can't "feel" like a gender. You just do what's normal to you. Gender fluid people are special snowflakes with nothing interesting about them except their made up gender.

This is my issue. I don't "feel" like a woman, I just am one. Feeling one way or the other doesn't even factor into it.

I can understand feeling like you've been born in the wrong body as a permanent state of being, but fluctuating at random just sounds like ********.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh

Original post by blue n white army
I find its people who claim to be gender fluid who are responsible for creating the masculine and feminine molds.

I don't believe in gender fluid. I think you can be a man and be anything from the manliness of men to the campest of men. Likewide you can be a female and be anything from the grlirliest of girl's to a Tom boy. Being a male/female doesn't dictate that you are going to be one specific type of person. I think the vast majority of people really that men and women come in all shapes and sizes and I feel it's people who "don't identify with socially constructed genders" that are responsible for pigeonholing the two genders.

I agree

Would rep but on phone :*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 129
Original post by Inexorably
Erghghh I believe that some people do sometimes feel biologically like their sex and other times not, yes. If that's what gender-fluid is.

If not then I probably don't agree as it's probably something tumblr spouted.

It IS something that tumblr spouted.
Its not a choice, its how somebody feels about themselves in that moment. You clearly dont understand it and thats fair enough, its a difficult concept. But that absolutely doesnt mean it isnt

Latest

Trending

Trending