The Student Room Group

FGM on girls has a rate of 500 a week, UK, edit, it's a month not a week.

The procedure/assault is being carried out on approximately 500 girls weekly according to a recent report. In the UK there is well over 100,000 victims so far. To date there have been two people brought to court and both have been acquitted.

We all know what the problem is, Muslims are practicing this and everyone is afraid to do something, as per usual, the police wont arrest them, the courts wont prosecute them, and most newspapers don't run the stories. There should be/would be a national campaign and lengthy jail sentences is any other group were doing this.

What would be an appropriate jail sentence for hacking at the genitalia of little girls to your mind ?

"It said that FGM was a hidden crime practiced on a daily basis, and gave estimates that in 2011 some 137,000 women and girls in England and Wales were affected. Whitehall figures sugggest there were 5,700 cases in the most recent year of counting."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3790170/Damning-report-MPs-reveal-nearly-500-girls-having-brutal-procedure-MONTH.html
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Before people dismiss child abuse as it's the 'daily mail'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/fgm-female-genital-mutilation-mps-national-scandal-home-office-report-a7307481.html

Britain’s failure to protect girls from female genital mutilation (FGM) has been described as a “national scandal” by a committee of MPs, who said it was “beyond belief” that, 30 years since it became illegal, not a single person has been convicted of the crime. They described it as a “hidden crime” and “preventable” child abuse.
What's the rate of MGM?
Disgusting.

Lock the parents (and anyone involved) up for a LONG time. And fgs, hand the child to somebody who cares more about her welfare than her religion.
Original post by dingleberry jam
What's the rate of MGM?

Sadly to much

But MGM has a history in this country and is legal so will be harder to stop but I do note that more and more people are speaking out against it.

But the Fact is one is legal the other isn't and it's the fact we are ignoring the crime that we should focus on and not muddy the water with whataboutery
Original post by BaconandSauce

But the Fact is one is legal the other isn't

Bloody sexism,

I'm not attempting to muddy anything both are disgusting, one gets a lot of coverage the other not so much.

Thread title is misleading, there aren't 500 fgms a week in the UK.
Original post by 1010marina
Disgusting.

Lock the parents (and anyone involved) up for a LONG time. And fgs, hand the child to somebody who cares more about her welfare than her religion.

Children should simply be removed from families when they are at risk.

Once a girl has been mutilated it's too late.
Is it often happening in the UK? It seems people from the UK would travel abroad to get it done in countries where it's accepted, which would unfortunately make it harder to stop.
Original post by NotNotBatman
Is it often happening in the UK? It seems people from the UK would travel abroad to get it done in countries where it's accepted, which would unfortunately make it harder to stop.

there have apparently been a few cases yes

But you're right by taking children out of the country (usually back to countries people have claimed asylum from) it does make it harder to stop

There are easy solutions but we do not have the backbone to implement them
Reply 9
holy **** the numbers are THAT high :eek:
why would you do that to your child ffs - I remember in school there were a few PSHE lessons on it, maybe if all schools regularly brought it up and let the girls know they can talk to them if they feel something's up it would help to prevent?

but I heard that the parents usually tell the child they're going to dubai for a holiday and then they do it? how would you prevent it when no one but the parents know?

But you're right by taking children out of the country (usually back to countries people have claimed asylum from) it does make it harder to stop

I wanna hear your solutions to end this disgusting procedure :judge:
Original post by z33
holy **** the numbers are THAT high :eek:
why would you do that to your child ffs - I remember in school there were a few PSHE lessons on it, maybe if all schools regularly brought it up and let the girls know they can talk to them if they feel something's up it would help to prevent?

but I heard that the parents usually tell the child they're going to dubai for a holiday and then they do it? how would you prevent it when no one but the parents know?

And the girls are unlikely to tell a teacher or someone in authority about it. The saddest thing is,they have no say in it,it's just done to them and that's that. I've heard of older women getting surgery done to undone it but even that has its limits,it's just messed up
Children should simply be removed from families when they are at risk.

Once a girl has been mutilated it's too late.

But how do we know if they are at risk,the parents are unlikely to tell anyone about it especially given that they know it's illegal and could face a jail sentence
Reply 13
Original post by dingleberry jam
Bloody sexism,

I'm not attempting to muddy anything both are disgusting, one gets a lot of coverage the other not so much.

Thread title is misleading, there aren't 500 fgms a week in the UK.

Circumcision may lead to somewhat lesser sensitivity...while as far as I've heard FGM pretty much destroys pleasure and causes much pain. I still think circumcision should only be legal for adults, or when it is medically required, but the comparison is quite facile.
edit: Probably the strength of my opposition to circumcision is underplayed here. I think both, when done to children, are abhorrent. But I'm just saying FGM seems to have more adverse affects, and therefore its greater coverage could be justified.
(edited 7 years ago)

Prosecuting this many people would be almost impossible. Sending them back is also impossible, they are 'British' now and it wouldn't stop FGM, as is the goal but resign the girls to their fate in another part of the world.

We couldn't take an extra 500 children a month into care, our social services are already at breaking point.

So I must ask, what are the 'easy' solutions ? I realize you don't mean easy, but direct actions we could take, and again I would say what are they ?

Back log our already backlogged courts ? pressure our already strained social services ? Try and exile British citizens ?
Reply 15
Original post by queen-bee
And the girls are unlikely to tell a teacher or someone in authority about it. The saddest thing is,they have no say in it,it's just done to them and that's that. I've heard of older women getting surgery done to undone it but even that has its limits,it's just messed up

yeah that too, parents are good at scaring kids into silence as well x_x
damnnn man :frown: - and the average age is 10, with some being infants and others being 15. :cry2:
I wanna hear your solutions to end this disgusting procedure :judge:

Regular health checks for girls that are at risk

Removal of girls from families where a case has been identified to prevent it happening further

A DR's check on children returning from locations where this is practiced.

Historical cases (where this is identifed at pregancy for example) to result in a prosecution and jail time

No longer require the child to give evidence once a case has been identified

Harsher punishments for health care people who fail to report this.

A change in the law that says if you claim asylum in the UK form a country you can't go there on sodding holiday (or if you can you can lose your immigration status)

will that do for a start?
Regular health checks for girls that are at risk

Removal of girls from families where a case has been identified to prevent it happening further

A DR's check on children returning from locations where this is practiced.

Historical cases (where this is identifed at pregancy for example) to result in a prosecution and jail time

No longer require the child to give evidence once a case has been identified

Harsher punishments for health care people who fail to report this.

A change in the law that says if you claim asylum in the UK form a country you can't go there on sodding holiday (or if you can you can lose your immigration status)

will that do for a start?

What if the parents refuse the check?
What if the parents refuse the check?

It should be a criminal offense with action taken by children services

Only by taking tough action can we prevent this.
But how do we know if they are at risk,the parents are unlikely to tell anyone about it especially given that they know it's illegal and could face a jail sentence

we know which communities are responsible for this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending