The Student Room Group

Chemistry EPQ ideas

Hi guys, so I'm planning to do an EPQ in something chemistry based but I don't know what exactly,
I am planning to do chemical engineering, so I thought doing it about
•a reaction, it's safety implications and sustainability
•large scale production of a drug and how the isomerism affects the way it interacts with our bodies
•Disposal and reuse of harmful chemicals, like what they do to the environment and other animals, and what we can do to reuse them and how effective that may be.
I'm not entirely sure that any of these is a good idea. Does anyone have any suggestions about a topic?
As for an individual reaction it depends how far you want to go. It may be a struggle to write 5,000 words about one. Perhaps the Haber process? Then you could include sections about its history/use. Changes on the reaction e.g. Pressure, temperature and the effect according to le chateliers principle etc?

For drug isomerism you've got options liken thalidomide, chiral carbons, optical isomerism etc but again without also mentioning its medical history or how it has changed the process you may struggle to fill 5,000 words?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by VMD100
As for an individual reaction it depends how far you want to go. It may be a struggle to write 5,000 words about one. Perhaps the Haber process? Then you could include sections about its history/use. Changes on the reaction e.g. Pressure, temperature and the effect according to le chateliers principle etc?

For drug isomerism you've got options liken thalidomide, chiral carbons, optical isomerism etc but again without also mentioning its medical history or how it has changed the process you may struggle to fill 5,000 words?

Thank you, and yeah it will be tough to get 5000 words with those, but im struggling to even think of a semi decent topic.😖

Quick Reply

Latest